50 Cal unleashed!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

50 Cal unleashed!

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 am

I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: 50 Cal unleashed!

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:47 am

Waste of a round. Look at all the unburnt powder.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:51 am

No hose clamps were damaged in filming this event.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 am

I guess if there’s nothing better to do.
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:32 am

But then the .50 round needs to trigger an artillery shell, and so on...

ETA: except the case split and the powder didn't detonate; what's up with that?
Lumpy

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Probably better if shot with something like a BB gun that doesn't penetrate the primer. Been there with 30-06
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby linksep on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:17 pm

Not what I expected would happen.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:37 pm

linksep wrote:Not what I expected would happen.

Exactly what should be expected. Remember powder burns it doesn't explode. Need to contain it to build pressure and get a full burn.
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Lumpy wrote:But then the .50 round needs to trigger an artillery shell, and so on...

Where's my damn Rube Goldberg machine?
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 pm

grimbeaver wrote:
Lumpy wrote:But then the .50 round needs to trigger an artillery shell, and so on...

Where's my damn Rube Goldberg machine?

It blew up.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 am

As mentioned, smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive. Smokeless powder needs pressure to burn correctly so if the cartridge is not in a chamber, nothing much will happen. The idea a cartridge will "blow up" or "explode" is nothing more than a Hollywood myth.

The video will not play for me but I can pretty much guess what happened and why. The primer was set off by the bullet impact, the powder was ignited until pressures climbed enough to rupture the case which then dumped the unburned and incompletely burned powder onto the ground. The powder was not consumed as pressures never reached a high enough point to burn properly.

This is similar to what happens with most civilian/commercial ammunition too. The differences are civilian ammo does not have as robust crimps of the bullet and primer which tends to cause the pressure to escape out one of the ends rather than the sides. Not to say cases never rupture but it is not as common.

When gas escapes by pushing out the bullet, the bullet tends to go a couple inches at most. Velocity never reaches a point in which it becomes dangerous. The primer being pushed out is common and it can travel a couple feet in best/worst case. The primer is light enough that it poses lttle risk of injury due to rapid loss of velocity. If close and unlucky enough one might suffer an eye injury due to the primer but little else.
smurfman

50 Cal unleashed!

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:55 am

The incoming bullet impacted the primer and base and appear to have torn things apart before any pressure built.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 am

On the topic of myth-busting with regards to ammunition, this is a long (25 min), but topical video, which was produced as a firefighting training aid.

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby linksep on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:06 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
linksep wrote:Not what I expected would happen.

Exactly what should be expected. Remember powder burns it doesn't explode. Need to contain it to build pressure and get a full burn.

I know all that, I just didn't expect the case to split like that and I expected the hose clamp was to make the case and projectile have the same mass so they would be blown apart (weakly because of the unburned powder).
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 am

smurfman wrote:As mentioned, smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive. Smokeless powder needs pressure to burn correctly so if the cartridge is not in a chamber, nothing much will happen. The idea a cartridge will "blow up" or "explode" is nothing more than a Hollywood myth.

The video will not play for me but I can pretty much guess what happened and why. The primer was set off by the bullet impact, the powder was ignited until pressures climbed enough to rupture the case which then dumped the unburned and incompletely burned powder onto the ground. The powder was not consumed as pressures never reached a high enough point to burn properly.

This is similar to what happens with most civilian/commercial ammunition too. The differences are civilian ammo does not have as robust crimps of the bullet and primer which tends to cause the pressure to escape out one of the ends rather than the sides. Not to say cases never rupture but it is not as common.

When gas escapes by pushing out the bullet, the bullet tends to go a couple inches at most. Velocity never reaches a point in which it becomes dangerous. The primer being pushed out is common and it can travel a couple feet in best/worst case. The primer is light enough that it poses lttle risk of injury due to rapid loss of velocity. If close and unlucky enough one might suffer an eye injury due to the primer but little else.

Yup
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to General Gun Chat