Boot camp shooting course?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Scratch on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 am

My gun range is about 100 yards long and about 50 yards wide, but I really only use the front 30 yards or so of it. (Besides a bench back at 100 yards)

So my thoughts are.... I'm kind of thinking about doing a "boot camp" style obstacle course there.

I've never been in the military so I really have no idea what to do, but I've always loved those cool obstacle courses that I see the military running and thought it would be so cool to have access to one! I would also set it up as a shooting course where you have different obstacles to get through and then shoot targets from those positions. I know there are lots of different shooting competitions like USPSA, IDPA, Multi Gun, etc... I have no idea what they would call this, (maybe run and gun?) but I imagine something like this:

You have a pistol and a rifle with you, along with spare mags. At the beep, you start running and have to crawl under a section of barbed wire, crawl through a small tunnel, walk across a tight rope bridge, climb over a wall, swing across a man made pond, climb a rope net to the top of a platform then zipline down the other side, do all that crazy stuff that they have to do in boot camp and shoot at targets along the way! I've been watching YouTube videos on military courses to get ideas and I think it's definitely possible in the area I have!

I've been wanting to up my game in the exercise department and lose a few pounds and thought this might just do the trick! I have limited access to a skid steer, my neighbors tractor, extra winch cables, some more used telephone poles, and random used lumber plus I've been collecting stuff for the past 20 years with this idea in the back of my head the whole time.

I'm looking for any input or advice on either setting up a course like this if you have any.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Boot camp shooting course?

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Cool idea. I'd settle for a place to shoot, but I understand the idea and definitely think it makes sense to pursue. I'd start sketching out, with dimensions, the different "stages" then flag it out on your dirt. If you had access to landscaping software to overlay your ideas onto your piece of land, that would be ideal. The fabrication of the structures and obstacles would take some work, but sounds like you have access to equipment, so that helps. I'm not an expert, but I definitely see the appeal.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm going to be a stick-in-the-mud, with my RSO hat firmly on.

I'm not sure what your intent is here. Are you just setting up a course for yourself or you and others? Have you thought about safety fans and where bullets might land? Could you guarantee where muzzles will be pointed and that AD's wouldn't leave your range?

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved doing something like that in my misspent youth. Now that I'm older, more crippled and wiser, I tend to think more of safety and what could happen.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Scratch on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I'm going to be a stick-in-the-mud, with my RSO hat firmly on.

I'm not sure what your intent is here. Are you just setting up a course for yourself or you and others? Have you thought about safety fans and where bullets might land? Could you guarantee where muzzles will be pointed and that AD's wouldn't leave your range?

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved doing something like that in my misspent youth. Now that I'm older, more crippled and wiser, I tend to think more of safety and what could happen.

This will not be open to the public. My range isn't open to the public. This is just for me and the select few of my friends that are into this type of shooting that I let down to my range. I have lots of other friends who I allow to shoot here, but they wouldn't be interested in this type of shooting anyways. I only have like 3 friends that I trust enough to shoot multi gun here. They would be the ones shooting here.
Scratch

Postby goalie on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Pro tip:

In the Marines, we didn't do the O course with loaded rifles.

You can Google USMC obstacle course. There are plans out there. It wouldn't be cheap.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Cheaper to go to the north side of Mpls with a Blue lives matter sign. You’ll be jumping over chain link fences and 6’ privacy fences. Crawling under Escalades and Ford Explores. You’ll be running down ally’s, bobbed and weaving between garages in an attempt to not get bit by the Pitbulls and Rotties. To top it all off you will get to do this all with live fire coming your way. You can thank me now for your new Exercise plan.
Sorcerer

Postby Scratch on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 pm

goalie wrote:Pro tip:

In the Marines, we didn't do the O course with loaded rifles.

You can Google USMC obstacle course. There are plans out there. It wouldn't be cheap.

Thanks for the tips, that's what I was hoping for.

I was thinking must unload after every shooting position, load right before shooting.

I wasn't thinking about an entire course, (right away) who knows, I might change my mind. I was thinking about starting with:
Scaling a wooden wall
Scaling a wall with a rope
Log hurdles (?)
Zipline
Crawl under barbed wire
Swing across pond
Monkey bars
Net climb
Slackline or rope bridge
Scratch

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm

With the way the government seems to let the bad guys get away with crap but not the good guys, you could be portrayed as a militant train field. Cool idea but these sick pricks in our government find out and want to make a name for themselves could have a ball with your set up to make a name for themselves. You may win in court but the cost and publicity would be large. Have been wanting to do this for years.
Bearcatrp

Postby goalie on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm

There's the obstacle course and the confidence course.

They're different.

Just an FYI

It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:With the way the government seems to let the bad guys get away with crap but not the good guys, you could be portrayed as a militant train field. Cool idea but these sick pricks in our government find out and want to make a name for themselves could have a ball with your set up to make a name for themselves. You may win in court but the cost and publicity would be large. Have been wanting to do this for years.

Doesn't concern me,
Scratch

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 am

Bitter Bastard

Postby hard h2o on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 am

Bearcatrp wrote:With the way the government seems to let the bad guys get away with crap but not the good guys, you could be portrayed as a militant train field. Cool idea but these sick pricks in our government find out and want to make a name for themselves could have a ball with your set up to make a name for themselves. You may win in court but the cost and publicity would be large. Have been wanting to do this for years.

What are they going to take him to court for exactly?
hard h2o

Postby Scratch on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Thanks! Looks like that could be very possible to actually go and check out, not so sure about the military's.
Scratch

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:22 am

Scratch wrote:

Thanks! Looks like that could be very possible to actually go and check out, not so sure about the military's.

Getting a look at the military's set up requires a bit more of a commitment... ;)
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 am

I am all for doing what you want...

It remember that all it takes is one bad viral video to get the politically inclined busybody types to start a cause.

Look at the s-storm Dr. Palmer caused hunting. (Cecil the Lion)

The underlying act there was perfectly legal.

If you decide to do it, keep it like fight club.
crbutler

Next

Return to General Gun Chat