Firearms and physical disability

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Firearms and physical disability

Postby Lumpy on Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:54 pm

I had surgery on my neck vertebrae in late May. As a result, the nerves to my arms were impinged and I'm currently facing months of rehab to regain full use of my arms. This has included my ability to use a gun: as of right now I cannot lift my right arm to shoulder height or standard sighting position. I have a laser sight on my handgun and can sort of cradle it in the pit of my stomach well enough to aim and fire if a home defense SHTF situation arose. Obviously this is not a happy time for me. Any advice on what people without the full use of their arms do to use firearms?
Lumpy

Re: Firearms and physical disability

Postby smurfman on Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Pretty much as you are doing now- make do the best you can. I can't help any more than that as my disabilities were less debilitating and of less duration.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:17 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hope your rehab goes better than planned.

Not near what you are going through but 2 years ago I lost use of my right hand for several months due to a motorcycle accident. Is your left functional? I basically went left handed for many things including shooting handguns. I did have use of my right “club” as a support kinda like the old cup and saucer hold with not really a saucer. Just thinking in your case maybe left hand one hand? If needed could lean against a door frame?
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:55 am

Played the nerve impingement game on right hand 2 years ago. I went down the rabbit hole for a while and quit carrying or shooting at all. Still not totally up to par or getting out to shoot. Can't help with your exact question since I went the wrong way but just wanted to chime in not to let depression etc stop you from getting back to it.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby TSKNIGHT on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Tore up my right shoulder about 10 years ago. Took two surgeries and 3-4 years to get back to full use of the right hand/arm/shoulder.
I became pretty good using my left hand to do everything. Also learned that a sling makes for a great place to stash a pistol and no one asks questions.

Praying you heal quickly and are back to as close to normal as possible soon.
TSKNIGHT

Return to General Gun Chat