NICs denial?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

NICs denial?

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm

A relative just got a NICs denial yesterday. He's been away from guns a long time and way back when, was only a very light hunter. A couple months ago he got his MN carry permit and bought a pistol and passed NICs then. He tried to buy another gun yesterday and got denied. Any good links I can pass on to him as to how to take care of this? I'm light on any details so far but that covers the high level stuff.

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: NICs denial?

Postby DonT on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Did he get Denied or Delayed? Typically it's a delay and the shop will call in a couple of days to tell him it cleared. Have it call the shop to clarify...

Don
DonT
DonT

Postby rtk on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:22 pm

You can lawyer up to contest it if they can afford it. I think an appeal can take months.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Drizzle on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:12 pm

Common name? If they're not using his SSN, he might have the same name as someone prohibited, like the no fly list.
Drizzle

Postby smurfman on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:55 pm

The most common source of denials - not delays- that I have seen has been due to how the purchaser answered questions on the 4473. There are a couple that result in an automatic denial depending on the answer.

The second most common cause for a denial was a long forgotten offense that currently excludes one from purchasing a firearm though it did not do so in the past. I have seen two that have had their rights restored by the state for a minor felony but the Feds do not recognize state restorations per the one.

I have not knowingly seen a denial due to similar names and believe that the odds of such happening seem mighty slim. It may have happened more frequently in the past but the information available online today is much more extensive than even a decade ago. As an example, for 12 years I lived in the same postal code as a felon with whom I shared the same first and last names plus middle initial with a birthday 6 days apart and have not experienced a firearms purchase denial or even delay. And I do not list my SSN on the 4473. Several times I have had a Junior or Senior purchase a firearm and express a worry that the father or son with a record may affect the background check though everything went fine. The only ATF PIN I have seen was in such a case.

There is a number one can call the FBI regarding questions on a denial. I don't know the number offhand but it is in a pamphlet we give the customer if they ask. It can also be found on line through the FBI website.
smurfman

Postby westwood on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:42 am

I have a friend here in Rochester that was denied, even after having gotten a permit to purchase from the Police Dept. Turns out there was another person with the same name that was a real trouble maker out east someplce.

He did the paperwork to appeal and was given a pin. I think it was something like 6 weeks.
westwood

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 pm

That sucks
Holland&Holland

Return to General Gun Chat