Firearms price ranges

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Firearms price ranges

Postby Lumpy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:55 pm

I'm considering a new purchase and am somewhat bewildered by the spread of available prices (specifically for Dracos and other AK- pistols). Generally speaking what's the difference between an $800.00 gun and a $1300.00 gun of the same or comparable models?
Lumpy

Re: Firearms price ranges

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Lumpy wrote:I'm considering a new purchase and am somewhat bewildered by the spread of available prices (specifically for Dracos and other AK- pistols). Generally speaking what's the difference between an $800.00 gun and a $1300.00 gun of the same or comparable models?

In most cases I would say the quality of parts and assembly but there is always that guy that thinks his joeblow build is as good as the expensive builders. Example might be the AR's I have had over the years. REDX brand AR for lets say $800 was sooo much better fit and finish than off the wall brand for $500. IMO worth the extra in that case. Your mileage may vary depending on your comparisons.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:52 pm

To expand on what LarryFlew said about quality of parts - that can be things like chrome lined barrel, or not. Cheap plastic (or cheap wood even) handguards vs handguards that have some feature desired by the AK market - bulged or not, laminated or not, even the color or country of origin. What muzzle device is on there can also make a difference in price, like the 4-piece (?) Bulgarian (?) brake. I'm going from memory on a lot of that, but you get the idea. Parts matter for total cost, even if you individually don't care if you have red or plum furniture. And how many mags come with it, and a sling or not, and the trunnion - solid, ready for a full stock, or folder? Does it come with a brace or not? And then, again as LarryFlew said, who made it can matter. Some people just think they can charge a premium, some actually are worth the extra expense in terms of fit and finish quality, and some go for bargain pricing at the expense of perfectly formed rivet heads and finish.

No easy answer here for generalities. If you have specific questions on model A vs model B I'm sure someone can help you compare and contrast them.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Lumpy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Also now that I think of it, what is involved in purchasing a firearm that is on Minnesota's SAMSAW list? If ordering from the manufacturer who confirms one's PtP or carry permit status, the seller or the FFL intermediary?
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm

What is the SAMSAW list?
Holland&Holland

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 am

Lumpy wrote:Also now that I think of it, what is involved in purchasing a firearm that is on Minnesota's SAMSAW list? If ordering from the manufacturer who confirms one's PtP or carry permit status, the seller or the FFL intermediary?

The FFL when you do the paperwork.
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:51 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Also now that I think of it, what is involved in purchasing a firearm that is on Minnesota's SAMSAW list? If ordering from the manufacturer who confirms one's PtP or carry permit status, the seller or the FFL intermediary?

??? So you don’t go through an FFL?
Holland&Holland

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:43 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:

??? So you don’t go through an FFL?

I don't understand this question.

If you order a firearm from a mfr, distributor, or whatever, the process is they send it to an FFL holder, and when you pick it up from them and do the 4473, that is when the FFL confirms your purchase permit or carry permit if the gun requires that by MN law.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Lumpy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:What is the SAMSAW list?
Semi-Automatic Military Style Assault Weapons. In MN, require a PtP or carry permit to buy like handguns.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712 Subd. 7.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:What is the SAMSAW list?
Semi-Automatic Military Style Assault Weapons. In MN, require a PtP or carry permit to buy like handguns.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712 Subd. 7.

Oh, that, did not know that is what it is called.
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:48 am

If you search Google for SAMSAW the only two hits you really get are the state statutes page (which oddly does not have SAMSAW on it) and the Gun Owners Caucus site. So I would say it's not a widely used abbreviation.
grimbeaver

Postby Lumpy on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Another question about AK pistols: does standard 7.62x39mm work okay or is a reduced load recommended for a barrel that short? (Maybe better anyway to minimize recoil, avoid overpenetration, etc.)?
Lumpy

Postby Lumpy on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Update: well it fortunately looks like for now at least I don't need to get an AK pistol ("assault weapon") on a now-or-never basis. Sadly, what decided me against it was the realization that thanks to the nerve damage to my arms I can't actually lift a firearm to sighting position. :cry:
Lumpy

Postby Lumpy on Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Addendum: I was focused on 7.62x39, but I only just realized that one could alternately get a pistol AR in .300 Blackout which might actually be the better home defense weapon. Your opinions anyone?

(ETA:) The price range spread is even more insane at least going by this page: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... 0-blackout
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Lumpy wrote:Addendum: I was focused on 7.62x39, but I only just realized that one could alternately get a pistol AR in .300 Blackout which might actually be the better home defense weapon. Your opinions anyone?

(ETA:) The price range spread is even more insane at least going by this page: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... 0-blackout

Suppressed 300BLK SBR or pistol would be fantastic
Ghost

Next

Return to General Gun Chat