Possible Scammer on mnguntalk

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Possible Scammer on mnguntalk

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:56 am

I have a WTB up on the classified section. I was contacted by "stonegraham", a new user yesterday about his friend who may have the gun.

I am a member at watchuseek website and this is a common scammer tactic targeting people looking for specific watches.

I have included both screen shots.
Attachments
rps20201105_085439.jpg
rps20201105_085449.jpg
samginko

Re: Possible Scammer on mnguntalk

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:58 am

Here are the pics he sent me.
Attachments
img_479.JPG
img_481.JPG
samginko

Postby Erud on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 am

Maybe find out if he is actually a scammer or not before trashing him here? He is definitely going out of his way to get his post count up, but that doesn't prove anything. Did you talk to the guy with the charger and ask him to send you specific pictures to prove he has it? $200 almost isn't even worth scamming someone over.
Erud

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:38 am

Since the pic that he sent me is 10" takedown model, I am certain this is a scam. Also a clue, out of state and low price.

This is a known problem on watchuseek. Scammers can bypass post count by contacting WTB by dm.
samginko

Postby Erud on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:04 am

samginko wrote:Since the pic that he sent me is 10" takedown model, I am certain this is a scam. Also a clue, out of state and low price.

This is a known problem on watchuseek. Scammers can bypass post count by contacting WTB by dm.

I fully understand that, but calling someone out before you've done any homework at all is pretty lame.

I think there's a good chance that my neighbor is a sex offender. He drives a van, and I see him hanging around the park a lot when kids are there.
Erud

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 pm

I may be wrong. I asked for a timestamp and received one. I cannot Post it, since he included his driver's license.

I must conclude that Erud was correct. I should have waited for the timestamp.
samginko

Postby warrlac on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:17 pm

I agree with Sam. He did his homework.

Guy appears out of nowhere, resurrects ancient threads ( EG: my Timney Trigger thread from April) to boost post counts, behaves "scripture and verse" per the known scam --

Unknown
    Random posting to boost count
    "For a friend"
    Out of state
    Absurdly low $200 price
    Wrong picture.

There is definitely something wrong with this picture. Early warning justified.

Erud wrote:
samginko wrote:Since the pic that he sent me is 10" takedown model, I am certain this is a scam. Also a clue, out of state and low price.

I fully understand that, but calling someone out before you've done any homework at all is pretty lame.

I think there's a good chance that my neighbor is a sex offender. He drives a van, and I see him hanging around the park a lot when kids are there.
warrlac

Postby Erud on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 pm

warrlac wrote:I agree with Sam. He did his homework.

Ok, but it sounds like Sam might agree with me.

The time to expose a scammer is after you know they actually are one, not when you just think it could be a possibility. That's not me telling you that the guy in questions isn't a scammer, because I have no idea on that. I'm just suggesting that speculation alone should not be enough cause to publicly drag someone's name through the mud.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Erud wrote:
warrlac wrote:I agree with Sam. He did his homework.

Ok, but it sounds like Sam might agree with me.

The time to expose a scammer is after you know they actually are one, not when you just think it could be a possibility. That's not me telling you that the guy in questions isn't a scammer, because I have no idea on that. I'm just suggesting that speculation alone should not be enough cause to publicly drag someone's name through the mud.

In reading a different thread I assumed the individual was potentially an anti-gunner
Ghost

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:02 pm

I apologise for early warning. With current information, I have no reason to believe any fraud occurred.

Near identical incident happened to me and multiple other members at watchuseek last year. It was exposed as a scam early on, due to recycled pics from online.

My apologies to stonegraham and his friend. I received a timestamp when I asked for it.
samginko

Postby Erud on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:10 pm

Ghost wrote:In reading a different thread I assumed the individual was potentially an anti-gunner

Whatever he is, he certainly doesn’t seem like anyone I’m going to take very seriously.
Erud

Postby Erud on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:16 pm

samginko wrote:I apologise for early warning. With current information, I have no reason to believe any fraud occurred.

Near identical incident happened to me and multiple other members at watchuseek last year. It was exposed as a scam early on, due to recycled pics from online.

My apologies to stonegraham and his friend. I received a timestamp when I asked for it.

I always check pics through tineye to see if they show up anywhere else on the web:

https://tineye.com/

A few years ago, I had someone try to sell me a rifle that I actually owned using pics that I took. I kept myself amused for nearly a month jerking him around via emails.
Erud

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:31 pm

Because I sell a lot of auction lot items I have a program that looks for pictures on the internet. Unfortunately when it comes to black rifles it finds most of them and not very exact BUT it did not find that rifle which in most scam cases it does find it at auction sites, other gun sites, pinterest, tineye and Imgur.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Erud wrote:
A few years ago, I had someone try to sell me a rifle that I actually owned using pics that I took. I kept myself amused for nearly a month jerking him around via emails.

AWESOME, Actually sounds like fun.
LarryFlew

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:36 pm

IF your are serious about this particular gun see if the guy will use an intermediary FFL. You put the $$ with the FFL and he sends the gun. When all is OK the FFL sends the $$.

I once bought a $2500 rifle and ammo for $1200 that way. Turned out the guy was selling everything he could before his divorce.
LarryFlew

Next

Return to General Gun Chat