Rifle range improvements

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Rifle range improvements

Postby Scratch on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:35 pm

I made some small changes to my rifle range today. I have a vinyl cutting machine and decided to put out yardage signs for my steel targets. I put them on 9X12 coroplast signs so they should last forever. I put the signs behind the steel targets to keep them from getting hit by bullet splash.
Here's a view from the top of the hill. The grass at the bottom of the pic is where I lay prone with the rifle and is where all the measurements are taken from. I can actually back up another 22 yards if I want to get to a full 249 yards.
1a.jpg

Here's another pic looking through my 1-6 ACSS scope at about 3X.
2.jpg

Here's a pic down at the 160 yard line and you can see the line of targets behind it.
3.jpg
Last edited by Scratch on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Rifle range improvements

Postby Scratch on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:36 pm

These next 4 pics are back at the top of the hill looking down through my spotting scope. The blue barrel behind the 183 yard target is gone now. It was temporarily there for another reason.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
Scratch

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love to be in the world you are in, you sure have got lots of cool uses for your land. Hats off for doing what most of us would love to do. Nicely done. :cheers: :gun: :salute: :bravo: :bow: :high5:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:08 am

Nice.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:30 am

Beautiful! How many acres do you have? I'm curious because I'm currently in the market for some land and a requirement is a shooting range. What you have shown is pretty much exactly my minimum requirements. I'm having trouble finding land with the right topography, ideally still driveable to Mpls, in my price range.

Bitter Bastards
Bitter Bastard

Postby Scratch on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:53 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:Beautiful! How many acres do you have? I'm curious because I'm currently in the market for some land and a requirement is a shooting range. What you have shown is pretty much exactly my minimum requirements. I'm having trouble finding land with the right topography, ideally still driveable to Mpls, in my price range.

Bitter Bastards

My brother lives next door and we share a 20 acre lot, but I have 4 neighbors with gun ranges in their back yards and they have 2 and 3 acre lots. It's legal in our township to shoot on your property, you're just responsible for every bullet. We are all just lucky that the lay of the land is the way it is, that it's safe to shoot on our property.
Scratch

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:19 pm

They look very well done...

I wouldn’t do it, myself because unless I range something deliberately, I don’t really know how far it is. Range estimation is an important skill.
crbutler

Return to General Gun Chat