SHTF Gun

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

SHTF Gun

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Interesting article on a very common topic that I don't think has been discussed here in a while. If you had to pick just one gun for your SHTF gun, what would it be?

https://www.usacarry.com/shtf-gun/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=linkedin_company&utm_medium=USA%20Carry&utm_content=SHTF%20Guns%20-%20%20If%20You%20Can%20Only%20Have%20One%3F

They chicken out and end up with, depends on what you are comfortable shooting......but I think it's an interesting exercise. What do you think and why?

I'm picking a 12 Guage pump shotgun because of its versatility, bird shot, slugs, specialty rounds.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: SHTF Gun

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:23 pm

I agree with you. Remington 870.
MJY65

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:41 pm

For me my main priority would be a firearm that was always at hand, so I'll go with a Glock 19.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 pm

In a survival scenario where I had to make it through the wilderness, I'd prefer to have a shotgun.

In a societal collapse, where I had to bug out of the city before the rioting mobs start burning and looting everything, I'll grab an AR pattern rifle.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Drizzle on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:32 pm

Two inch Smith M10 .38.
Drizzle

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:50 pm

The premise is nonsensical. The only way I would end up with one gun would be waking at 3 am with intruders just outside my bedroom. The SHTF would not happen in an instant. If times were getting that bad I would have at least my silenced 12.5 AR, and VP9 w/can within reach at all times along with plenty of mags and spare ammo in the go bag. A shotgun would make sense if staying home or in a vehicle with someone else driving, but alone on foot? I can easily carry a thousand AR rounds and a couple hundred 9mm. I could see dumping the pistol and taking a 10-22 takedown with 2k rounds. When plastic and cash or worthless, ammo = currency.

What is the situation? Am I getting out of the city in the first wave? Or did I wait to long and have to wend my way at night through miles of rampaging predators. Then stealth would be the priority.I would add the 300BLK SBR W/can and ditch/trade it when I reached the open spaces. So 2-3 guns minimum.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Scratch on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:08 pm

Always an interesting subject, but it's really dependent on the situation...
Did the government take everything but allow you one of your choice?
Did you have to bug out and could only carry one due to space restraints?
Zombie-poc?
Chinese invasion?
Survival in the woods?

That being said, I'll offer this as my choice as I like playing these games.

I'm not sure if this counts but what about one AR pistol lower, with multiple uppers, and mags.
Like:
A 8" 9mm upper with Endo mags.
A 12" 5.56 upper with standard P-mags.
A CMMG .22lr conversion kit with mags.
A 9" 300BLK upper with P-mags.
Still technically one semi concealable firearm, but 4 different calibers depending on what ammo is available, and what type of target you need to shoot.

If that's cheating, then I'd probably go with a Glock 17 with a red dot sight and backup sights.
High round count, easily concealable, great for self defense, good for hunting even at some longer ranges thanks to a red dot, common caliber, common mags.
Last edited by Scratch on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 pm

Great thinking Scratch! That second complete AR lower would take up a lot of ammo space.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Scratch on Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:18 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:Great thinking Scratch! That second complete AR lower would take up a lot of ammo space.

One complete lower, 3 uppers, 3 mags, and a conversion BCG.

But yes, all that would take up precious ammo space. This choice might best be suited for the government saying you can only have one gun.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:27 am

Would an Abrams tank count as one gun?
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:55 am

Should have set this up as a poll. I'll admit, Abrams tank probably wouldn't have been an option to vote for, but love the thinking.

I'm sticking with 12 Guage shotgun. Although the thought of an AR Pistol has some appeal.

My thought is that I'd fight to get out of a crowded urban/suburban area and look to a rural bunker with the ability to subsistence farm and long term survivability. Being able to repel unwanted visitors
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby westhope on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:30 am

My thought is that I'd fight to get out of a crowded urban/suburban area and look to a rural bunker with the ability to subsistence farm and long term survivability. Being able to repel unwanted visitors

And where would that be that isn't already occupied and defended?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 pm

westhope wrote:

And where would that be that isn't already occupied and defended?

That was always the weak point in a lot of people's plan to bail out of the metro, and head for 'a farm in the countryside', in the event of an impending nuclear attack...that and the bumper to bumper traffic.

In a true 'every-man-for-himself'/ SHTF scenario, I'd be tempted to linger a bit behind the guy dressed fresh out of Abercrombie & Fitch with the shiny new JP rifle. probably has a pocket full of cash too.

Or simply hang out dressed like a penniless vagrant

A shot gun possibly, but most definitely a .357 wheelie would be my 1st choice.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ironbear on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm

The "one gun" thing seems a little silly. A more realistic approach would be a weight limit. What would you take, if you had a limit of, say, 30 lbs for guns, ammo, accessories (scope, sling, mags, suppressor, etc.) and knives? Assuming you might have to haul it around on your back along with your food and gold bricks!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Damn 50BMG is too heavy to carry any distance. :exactly:
OldmanFCSA

Next

Return to General Gun Chat