Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: SHTF Gun

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:19 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Damn 50BMG is too heavy to carry any distance. :exactly:

That 338 RPR should work to lug away!
Bearcatrp

Postby smurfman on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 pm

Ironbear wrote:The "one gun" thing seems a little silly. A more realistic approach would be a weight limit. What would you take, if you had a limit of, say, 30 lbs for guns, ammo, accessories (scope, sling, mags, suppressor, etc.) and knives? Assuming you might have to haul it around on your back along with your food and gold bricks!

I've used this line of thinking when playing this game. I tend to gravitate to a 22 LR rifle due to weight, size, noise, and that a 30 caliber ammo can full of ammo is compact, not very heavy, and holds a lot of ammo.

These factors can play a major role in what all can be brought. An equal number of other rounds will take up more room and more weight which can limit the amount of other necessities one can bring. The compactness of a 50 round box of 22 LR cartridges allows for additional rounds being crammed in odd pockets in other goods if desired.

The report of a 22 does not carry that far compared to other rounds. Once in my "safe zone" I would not want loud noises as it could lead others to my hideaway. These visitors my not have the best of intentions or they may be incompetent and merely be a drain on me and mine. Better to avoid that issue if one can. If need be, a makeshift 22 LR suppressor is easier to fashion than with many other rounds. Or, so I've read...

A 22 may not be the best choice to fight one's way out of trouble or be the best deer hunting round but it will work. I do not think of the firearm as a means of taking small game, that is what snares are for. It's use on deer is pretty marginal but it isn't much different than the 36 - 40 caliber muzzleloaders used to wipe out so much of the deer population in the eastern United States.

I would prefer more than one firearm but if forced, I would give a 22 a long, hard consideration.

As I live outside the Cities I don't feel as great of a need to fight my way out as I would if I lived in the Uptown area. Even then I might be compelled to grab a 22 and go.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:16 pm

westhope wrote:
My thought is that I'd fight to get out of a crowded urban/suburban area and look to a rural bunker with the ability to subsistence farm and long term survivability. Being able to repel unwanted visitors

And where would that be that isn't already occupied and defended?

I already own a rural property, so I would either go there or my hometown where I know many people who have rural homes who could benefit from me being there.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby linksep on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 am

Driving home after work and Bolshevik Lying Marxists have blocked the highway and started executing drivers: The one I'm carrying.

Slightly slower SHTF scenario: .338 Lapua? I have upstairs windows on all 4 sides of my house and from upstairs I can see "only" a half mile east & south-east, I can see 1 mile+ in all other directions.

Really slow SHTF scenario: Whatever fills a niche that's not covered by my family? Depends on if we rendezvous at Princeton location 1,2,3,or4, Zimmerman, Motley, Spooner, or New Richmond...
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat