As the protesters gather.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

As the protesters gather.

Postby Ironbear on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Hmmm. The Noor case is having some influence on the sentencing.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: As the protesters gather.

Postby armedwalleye on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:49 am

Greg wrote:
armedwalleye wrote:Dunno what it would take, but I would point out that he'll be judged by a jury of his peers...none of which were smart enough to get out of jury duty.

People always say stuff like this and then wonder why we get so many weird jury decisions. The whole system depends on reasonable jurors.

How would you like to end up in court after a defensive shooting and be judged by a jury "none of which were smart enough to get out of jury duty".

I've only done one trial as juror but I'd do it again.

Greg

I've been on a jury several times, once in a county and once in Federal court, and would do it again. I just would want to do everything in my power to not be on THIS jury. The city of Minneapolis was absolutely powerless to stop the mob mentality last summer. They could hang Chauvin, the other 3 cops, the chief of police, the mayor and the county attorney from the lampposts outside and it's wouldn't be enough. I would not want to be in a position to have to try to defend myself from that sort of a mob.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Postby Rodentman on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 am

I think jury trials are not impartial. With jury nullification the case becomes about convincing a jury, not finding the truth. I'd rather see trial by a tribunal of judges who know the law, the rules of evidence, and are less likely to be swayed by public opinion.
Rodentman

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:09 am

Rodentman wrote:I think jury trials are not impartial. With jury nullification the case becomes about convincing a jury, not finding the truth. I'd rather see trial by a tribunal of judges who know the law, the rules of evidence, and are less likely to be swayed by public opinion.

Who would appoint the judges?
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Rodentman wrote:I think jury trials are not impartial. With jury nullification the case becomes about convincing a jury, not finding the truth. I'd rather see trial by a tribunal of judges who know the law, the rules of evidence, and are less likely to be swayed by public opinion.

That sounds scary as heck.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

That sounds scary as heck.

Judges appointed by the same people who run Minneapolis?

No thank you!
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat