Gifting AR15 stripper lower

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby SabetaZH on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am

My older brother B-day is coming up and I wanted to gift him a AR15 stripped lower. He doesn't own any firearms but can legally own firearms. I understand owning a firearm is a big decisions so I'm letting him decided if he wants to keep it as stripped lower or go on the journey to building his very own firearm. Is there anything we both need to do or can I just gift it directly. I read some where that he will need a permit to purchase even though it's a gift.
SabetaZH

Re: Gifting AR15 stripper lower

Postby linksep on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 am

LEFTY TROLL!! LEFTY TROLL!!

You will need to transfer it through an federally licensed firearms dealer per communist lefty unconstitutional soon-to-be-struck-down unconstitutional legislature.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:36 am

SabetaZH wrote:My older brother B-day is coming up and I wanted to gift him a AR15 stripped lower. He doesn't own any firearms but can legally own firearms. I understand owning a firearm is a big decisions so I'm letting him decided if he wants to keep it as stripped lower or go on the journey to building his very own firearm. Is there anything we both need to do or can I just gift it directly. I read some where that he will need a permit to purchase even though it's a gift.

You do know legal advice on the inter webs is only worth what you paid for it.

Today, giving a firearm as a gift to someone who is not prohibited is legal. Tomorrow it will not be. In fact the house just passed this...
Holland&Holland

Postby ex-LT on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:03 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
SabetaZH wrote:My older brother B-day is coming up and I wanted to gift him a AR15 stripped lower. He doesn't own any firearms but can legally own firearms. I understand owning a firearm is a big decisions so I'm letting him decided if he wants to keep it as stripped lower or go on the journey to building his very own firearm. Is there anything we both need to do or can I just gift it directly. I read some where that he will need a permit to purchase even though it's a gift.

Today, giving a firearm as a gift to someone who is not prohibited is legal. Tomorrow it will not be. In fact the house just passed this...

Still has to go through the senate, where (thanks to the filibuster) passage is not guaranteed.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:38 am

ex-LT wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Still has to go through the senate, where (thanks to the filibuster) passage is not guaranteed.

Glad to see someone still has faith in them.
Holland&Holland

Postby SabetaZH on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:28 am

I don't want to go into the political debate of what's going to happen in the next month or year because I'm going to gift it to him in the next 2 week so whatever potential law that is still debating would not applied. Anyway thanks for the response, I'll build a list for him so he will have an ideal of what to get and where to go get it.
SabetaZH

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 am

SabetaZH wrote:I don't want to go into the political debate of what's going to happen in the next month or year because I'm going to gift it to him in the next 2 week so whatever potential law that is still debating would not applied. Anyway thanks for the response, I'll build a list for him so he will have an ideal of what to get and where to go get it.

If it had not passed, how do you know it will not apply?
Holland&Holland

Postby ex-LT on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:28 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
SabetaZH wrote:I don't want to go into the political debate of what's going to happen in the next month or year because I'm going to gift it to him in the next 2 week so whatever potential law that is still debating would not applied. Anyway thanks for the response, I'll build a list for him so he will have an ideal of what to get and where to go get it.

If it had not passed, how do you know it will not apply?

Possibly because Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution specifically prohibits passage of ex post facto laws.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby crbutler on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:41 pm

Unfortunately the ban on ex post facto laws is only what someone forces it to be.

Taxes are not unusually increased in violation of this.

I don’t trust the senile fools in DC to do anything right.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:22 pm

crbutler wrote:Unfortunately the ban on ex post facto laws is only what someone forces it to be.

Taxes are not unusually increased in violation of this.

I don’t trust the senile fools in DC to do anything right.

This.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:30 pm

If there is no legal prohibition for him to own it, you can just give it to him.
Rowdy Roddy

Postby INOR on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 pm

I would still do a bill of sale for your own records even if the purchase price is zero. And have evidence that he is an otherwise eligible purchaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 am

INOR wrote:I would still do a bill of sale for your own records even if the purchase price is zero. And have evidence that he is an otherwise eligible purchaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never did that for my kids when i gave them their first .22. Kinda kills Christmas morning if you have to do a 4473 before you can open it.
Holland&Holland

Return to General Gun Chat