GOA or NRA?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: GOA or NRA?

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Lumpy wrote:
Erud wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Is the Bumpstock novelty the litmus test for loyalty?

Yes it is, and it's also a great recent example. The NRA is a single-issue organization, and that issue is the 2nd Amendment. Why would they support any infringements, compromises, or-re-evaluations of existing favorable 2A laws/rulings? Why would you support them doing that? It doesn't matter if it's a "novelty", this is the exact opposite of what a gun rights organization should be doing. The other 2A orgs were very much against this, but the NRA as usual supported "common-sense firearms" laws.

The NRA's attitude seems to be one of cowardice: "We've got to compromise some to gain leverage, or else we'll see a total ban on everything but single-shot hunting rifles and breech-loading shotguns".

Exactly. And when they are willing to compromise, they are sending the message that their members are willing to compromise. Why should we be willing to compromise? Is the right to keep and bear arms actually a right, or is it a privilege granted to us by our government? If it's a right, why would we willingly give up any small part of it, even if it's just a "novelty"? Because maybe then they'll see how willing we are to work together, and then they'll forget about more important stuff? We should all understand by now that it doesn't work that way.
Erud

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:32 pm

First time I have disagreed with Erud and only slightly. While I agree they do less than they used to we do need the clout and after the infighting ends they will hopefully be back. As far as Dumbocrats go they fear the NRA to the extent the NRA can probably do almost nothing and still scare the bejeezus out of Dem.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 pm

LarryFlew wrote:First time I have disagreed with Erud and only slightly. While I agree they do less than they used to we do need the clout and after the infighting ends they will hopefully be back. As far as Dumbocrats go they fear the NRA to the extent the NRA can probably do almost nothing and still scare the bejeezus out of Dem.

No problem with the disagreement. My question is; do they still have that clout after really not using it for anything in years? If they do, what do they actually do with it, and how does it benefit their members? Personally, I think the NRA is now just the boogeyman that the left uses to rile up their base on gun issues. In MN, everything 2A that's been accomplished in the last 20 years has happened at the state and local level. I live in the senate district that the late great Pat Pariseau represented for many years. She brought the concealed carry bill to the MN senate annually for years before it actually passed. Suppressors, and other more recent positive changes happened because of the Gun Owners Caucus and other local groups. The NRA didn't do any of that. At the federal level, it's always the smaller, less-known organizations like GOA that are actually in court doing the work, while the NRA prints lame magazines and asks for more money. I think that sending your money to organizations that will do that hard work is a lot more effective than sending it to one that has no bite, and very little bark left.
Erud

Postby Drizzle on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm

My concern is more local. We are presently required to maintain an NRA membership to be members at OGC. I would like to see that extended to membership in any national gun rights organization, but I know the likelihood of that happening.

I know people will think I should join the board and change from within, but I think that's both pissing into the wind and I haven't the time. As long as the present members are in charge, the status quo will be maintained. The club is probably getting some funding from the NRA also, and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.
Drizzle

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 pm

I *think* that many clubs are insured through the NRA somehow, and the 100% NRA membership is a requirement of that. Or something to that effect. I bet Rip Van Winkle knows for sure, maybe he’ll drop back in.
Erud

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm

I recall there was at some point discussion at OGC about your idea - even supporting local orgs in lieu of the NRA .
I don't know the outcome of those discussions, or if OGC's financial stake influenced the matter, but with 100% NRA member participation, I think there are some range improvement funds to be had from the NRA.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby wrench on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:32 pm

99% sure OGC changed that last year, now allows membership in NRA, MN Gun Owners Caucus, and I think another one? GOA maybe??
Of course nothing on the website reflects this change, :roll: but I'm pretty sure.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:00 pm

wrench wrote:99% sure OGC changed that last year, now allows membership in NRA, MN Gun Owners Caucus, and I think another one? GOA maybe??
Of course nothing on the website reflects this change, :roll: but I'm pretty sure.

This is correct. Mn gun owners caucus, NRA, and GOA.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:06 am

The GOA has no presence in Minnesota and does not work on a state level here at all. Their abilities nationally aren't great. They do work quite well in Texas at a state level, but that has more to do with their state leader (Rachel Malone) than anything GOA itself is doing. A few years back when we were under more pressure here in Minnesota, they did work with the Caucus to amplify our messaging which was helpful.

The NRA has a part-time lobbyist presence in the state (He covers 3 states presently). They have been in lockstep with us on pushing for pro-gun legislation and opposing anti-gun legislation. Some of the things we've achieved in MN, would not have happened with the 600 lb guerilla in the room backing us up and pushing things forward. They usually have worked well with us - and I've never seem them compromise at a state level here in Minnesota. They are a force to be reckoned with for sure, despite their current challenges.

The Second Amendment Foundation funds legal fights all over the country - they bring state groups together for national campaigns through the GUn Rights POlicy Conference and provide legal support. They are totally worthy of your $$ and support.

In Minnesota, I'm biased, but you're not going to find anyone more effective than the MN Gun Owners Caucus. But others have said this far better than I above.

Happy to answer questions where I can,
Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:06 am

wrench wrote:99% sure OGC changed that last year, now allows membership in NRA, MN Gun Owners Caucus, and I think another one? GOA maybe??

Caucus is definitely an option there now!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 am

Bryan, what are your thoughts on the Firearms Policy Coalition?
Jackpine Savage

Postby bstrawse on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:09 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Bryan, what are your thoughts on the Firearms Policy Coalition?

Sorry, didn't mean to leave them out. I think they're doing good work, particularly on the legal front. We're in discussions with them about some MN focused legal action.

b
bstrawse

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 am

bstrawse wrote:
Jackpine Savage wrote:Bryan, what are your thoughts on the Firearms Policy Coalition?

Sorry, didn't mean to leave them out. I think they're doing good work, particularly on the legal front. We're in discussions with them about some MN focused legal action.

b

Thanks. It sounded like they were getting out front in the Polymer 80 issues but sometimes it's hard to differentiate hype from reality.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Drizzle on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 am

Great to know, thanks.
Drizzle

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:38 am

My main focus is local so my only reoccurring donation is to Mn Gun Owners Caucus.. Though I am an NRA member it is mainly to participate in events and have my RSO cert.
grimbeaver

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat