Gun in different state.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun in different state.

Postby NinjaMonkey on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:24 am

I saw a gun I want on armslist but the gun is in a different state. What would be the best way to make the deal happen?
I am in mn. The gun is in Ohio. I am assuming the other person have there ccw. What would give me insurance? Or third party that would be secure?
It a sw comp carry 19 on armslist.
I have always do face to face.
Should I move on?
NinjaMonkey

Re: Gun in different state.

Postby bstrawse on Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:58 am

NinjaMonkey wrote:I saw a gun I want on armslist but the gun is in a different state. What would be the best way to make the deal happen?
I am in mn. The gun is in Ohio. I am assuming the other person have there ccw. What would give me insurance? Or third party that would be secure?
It a sw comp carry 19 on armslist.
I have always do face to face.
Should I move on?

You'd pay the seller or an escrow service. The firearm would need to be shipped to a FFL in Minnesota and then you would transfer it to yourself at that FFL. You cannot purchase a firearm from a private individual in another state and obtain directly - it will have to go through the FFL.

I can't speak in terms of escrow/insurance as I don't have any experience with that - but the above is the legally required process under federal law.

Thanks,
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:00 am

Tough to get assurances especially with places like Armslist that has no feedback for sellers etc. I typically try and get a phone number to start with and name and address so you can at least talk to the guy and look up his name and address info. Cost of FFL on your end is up to you as is who you want to use as your FFL. Have done over 100 transactions through AL and Gun Broker and only had 1 bad experience. Due diligence is the key as you will find very few want to go through an escrow and the cost would be up to you to pay that fee IF seller agrees to use one. PITA for seller as they have to wait for their money much longer than typical. If sell is shipping via FFL you can also check them out.

M&M FirearmsLLC has one listed which makes it easier looking up a business rather than individual.

Feel free to give a shout if you have any individual questions etc.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby NinjaMonkey on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:24 pm

Ok. Thank for the info. I look and m and m and ther on backorder.
NinjaMonkey

Postby Uffdaphil on Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:21 pm

The way I did it with a buyer in Texas is I got half up front then sent the gun to his FFL. Then he sent the rest. Sure there was some risk but with both of us demonstrating trust I felt good about it.

Did some back and forth gun chit chat beforehand to get a feel for the guy. Turned out he was TX highway patrol with a bunch of kids and strapped for money. Ended up sending me great TAP 5.56 ammo at a big discount in lieu of cash. Both of us happy with the deal.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby NinjaMonkey on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:59 pm

Yes that an option also. Any body use paypal?
NinjaMonkey

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:29 pm

NinjaMonkey wrote:Yes that an option also. Any body use paypal?

I don,t think PayPal allows gun related commerce, and if you misrepresent the nature of the transaction the money might get sequestered, as well as losing any of their protections.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:12 pm

NinjaMonkey wrote:Yes that an option also. Any body use paypal?

PP is VERY gun unfriendly. If you read what you agreed to with PP they can just keep you money if they find the purchase violates their rules.

Another you're screwed area. Even Postal MO does nothing to guarantee your payment. The PO would go after someone fraudulently using a MO but do not promise to get your money. $500 and 2 months with 2 trips to Ohio - guy went to jail but I got the only $150 he had at the time. Federal time or not I still came out behind. Was not a gun deal btw.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby NinjaMonkey on Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:46 am

Thanks for the reply and information. Much appreciated!!!
NinjaMonkey

Return to General Gun Chat