Becoming an instructor?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Becoming an instructor?

Postby Scratch on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 pm

I'm a small time, home based gun dealer and have been for about 10 years. I do about 30-50 transfers a month for firearms and silencers. I also have a small private gun range in my backyard. Over the past 10 years or so, I've held four classes out here. Two classes for pistol training, and two concealed carry classes. None of them taught by me. An out of state friend of mine taught the first two classes, and the CCW classes were kind of organized and setup by a dfferent friend of mine who has a friend that's an instructor. I provided the location, my friend brought the tables and chairs, his friend taught the classes. We did the classroom in my garage, then went down to the gun range and did the qualification there.

The ones taught by Ranger were fun because it was something I personally wanted and I was glad to host them since I was getting something out of them. The CCW classes I did because the first class, I needed renewal, and the second class, my daughter did.

I have lots of customers and friends who knew I held a CCW class here and are constantly asking me to keep them in mind next time I hold one out here. I never advertised the CCW classes, it was just a friends and family thing that I kind of tried to keep quiet since I didn't want it to get a lot of attention. I also wasn't very impressed with the last instructor who was out here. He even claimed he "wasn't really a gun guy" and there were some things he said that made me go hmmmm....?

I'm up for renewal again, but am wondering if I should just go take a renewal class and be done with it, or if I should do something different.... I'm wondering about becoming a CCW instructor.

My concerns are:
Time - how much time does becoming a CCW instructor take?
Cost - what kind of cost am I looking at to become one?
Insurance - where do I get insurance and how much does it cost?
Legality - it's legal for me to shoot on my property, it's also legal for me to run a business here, but is it legal for me to run shooting classes out here?
Renewals - what am I looking at for instructor renewal classes? Frequency, costs?
Hassle-ability - is it worth it? Dealing with all of the above stuff, will it be worth it if I'm only planning on maybe two classes a year?

Thoughts, advice, suggestions...?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Becoming an instructor?

Postby ttousi on Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:53 pm

Happy to answer your questions but too much to type....I will PM you with a phone #
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Return to General Gun Chat