Need help refuting anti-gun cites

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Need help refuting anti-gun cites

Postby Lumpy on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:53 pm

As usual, defending gun ownership on public forums drew the usual replies along the lines of "you ignorant gun nut, here are all these cites showing that the Founders approved of gun control". I could use some help chasing down what exactly the poster is claiming are anti-gun citations, in order to double-check the context. Some are generalities but others claim to refer to specific laws passed in specific years. Here's what was posted:

https://www.quora.com/A-lot-of-gun-owne ... ent_type=2

The folks who ratified the 2nd into law heavily regulated guns for personal use after it passed. Obviously, they couldn't do that if what you said was true.

From 1776 to the writing of the US Constitution, the Colonies made a regular habit of confiscating and banning weapons. No objections from the folks who wrote the 2nd and/or signed the BoR.

In 1794, Madison and Jefferson’s home state of Virginia banned carrying (open or concealed) of firearms. Neither man objected.

Massachusetts began requiring inspections of weapons in 1814, leaving it to the inspector’s discretion on whether to confiscate the weapon. At the time, Adams was living in the state, retired from politics. He raised no objection.

In 1824, Jefferson and Madison themselves enacted a gun ban.

By 1826, when Jefferson and Adams died, most states had gun registries. Almost every state had laws restricting when, where, and under what circumstances one could be armed. Most towns had similar laws on the books. Many states banned concealed weapons. There is not a single record of Jefferson, Adams, or Madison raising an objection to any of these laws.

Even more such laws were passed by<*> Madison’s death in 1836, with not a peep from him. *ETA: presumably "by the time of"

Anybody who says that gun control violates the US Constitution is claiming to know more about the US Constitution and the 2nd Amendment than the folks who wrote these items.
Lumpy

Re: Need help refuting anti-gun cites

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:41 pm

Does it really matter, I am at the point where my response is come and take it. You can’t win on social media anyway.
Holland&Holland

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:57 am

Ask him to cite his references. I wonder if they came out of Arming America by Michael A. Bellesiles, which turned out to be a work of fiction.
Jackpine Savage

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:06 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Does it really matter, I am at the point where my response is come and take it. You can’t win on social media anyway.

Yep;
Nothing to win on most social media...only trolls, echo chambers, and people shouting past each other.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:42 pm

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Does it really matter, I am at the point where my response is come and take it. You can’t win on social media anyway.

Yep;
Nothing to win on most social media...only trolls, echo chambers, and people shouting past each other.

Sounds like me :hmm:
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:17 am

Not to mention whatever you say or even prove will do nothing to change their minds.

EDIT: And yes it sounds like H ;-)
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby crbutler on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:48 am

One little issue is that the founders were very specific stating that the US constitution only applied to the federal government.

Pretty much all gun laws cited were local or state.

The incorporation doctrine allows the bill of rights to be applied to individuals and lower levels of government.

The founder’s point was that all should have the right to overthrow the government when it got out of line. They felt that the states would do what was right as well, but left it up to the states to do so… why else would state constitutions mirror the federal if the federal bill of rights guaranteed rights?

It’s a lack of understanding the history involved.
crbutler

Postby daleamn on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:24 pm

Well, it doesn't directly answer or refute the guy's arguments but I might respond with some 'founder' quotes where they were in favor of the right to keep and bear arms. Here's a couple.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"- George Washington
daleamn

Postby Lumpy on Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:55 pm

True, but I strongly suspect the supposed support for (or silence in the face of) gun control is being cited out of context, and I would dearly love to expose that. For example I suspect but can't prove that

is talking about the rule they instituted at the University of Virginia where they banned “spiritous liquor”, “festive entertainment”, “disturbing noises”, “riotous, disorderly, intemperate or indecent conduct”, or “fighting with weapons which may inflict death”.
Lumpy

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:15 am

Lumpy wrote:True, but I strongly suspect the supposed support for (or silence in the face of) gun control is being cited out of context, and I would dearly love to expose that. For example I suspect but can't prove that

is talking about the rule they instituted at the University of Virginia where they banned “spiritous liquor”, “festive entertainment”, “disturbing noises”, “riotous, disorderly, intemperate or indecent conduct”, or “fighting with weapons which may inflict death”.

Then ask them for their source.
Holland&Holland

Return to General Gun Chat