The Hughes Amendment and law enforcement

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: The Hughes Amendment and law enforcement

Postby tac870 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks for the information.
tac870

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:27 pm

What I would find interesting is how private security firms get their class III weapons.

There are lots of them that have suppressed full auto equipment, and the latest at that. They don’t qualify as LE. I kind of doubt they are considered dealers, and even if they are, how do they get LE sign off?

Think Blackwater and outfits like that as well as bodyguard outfits.

Machine guns aren’t that rare around us, it’s just hard to get them as a private person.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:56 am

crbutler wrote:What I would find interesting is how private security firms get their class III weapons.

There are lots of them that have suppressed full auto equipment, and the latest at that. They don’t qualify as LE. I kind of doubt they are considered dealers, and even if they are, how do they get LE sign off?

Machine guns aren’t that rare around us, it’s just hard to get them as a private person.

Isn’t it always “who” you know?
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:50 am

I’m sure there is a legal way to do it.

I’m certain it’s expensive from a private standpoint.

And yeah, I’m sure there is a lot of cronyism involved on the legal end involved.
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:17 pm

Heh! If only one could get certified as a one-man "security firm" licensed to purchase new full-auto firearms. :mrgreen:
Lumpy

Postby bstrawse on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:16 pm

crbutler wrote:What I would find interesting is how private security firms get their class III weapons.

Private security firms don't get full-auto equipment except when guarding material and facilities secured under the atomic energy act - like nuclear power plants, etc.

Private military contractors can - primarily for use outside the country.

You're not going to find a "bodyguard company" using full auto weaponry inside the US.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:34 pm

bstrawse wrote:

Private security firms don't get full-auto equipment except when guarding material and facilities secured under the atomic energy act - like nuclear power plants, etc.

You're not going to find a "bodyguard company" using full auto weaponry inside the US.

b

That’s not true, everyone knows all the full auto arms the Mexican cartel used were bought at American gun shows with no background checks.
Holland&Holland

Postby bstrawse on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:52 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

b

That’s not true, everyone knows all the full auto arms the Mexican cartel used were bought at American gun shows with no background checks.

I believe you're being sarcastic here, but I'm pointing that out for people that don't know better.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:04 pm

After your statement, which contradicts my experience, I just used google.

Short answer is yes they can and do.

However, it requires the company to get a FFL (iirc, a type 11) and some sort of additional stamp.

So they do get an FFL to do so.
crbutler

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat