Private Transfer Form

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Private Transfer Form

Postby westhope on Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:03 am

Here is the new MN Private Transfer Form.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Private-Party-Transfer-Form.pdf

The only way for me to keep an electronic file of the identification and signature requirements, I would have to fill out the paper form and them SCAN that document with the signatures and identification requirements.

Would that scanned electronic copy of the original document be sufficient to meet the requirements? Would I need to keep the original?

Thanks.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Re: Private Transfer Form

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:07 pm

Gee, only 5 pages long. That's not onerous or anything. :roll:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:09 pm

westhope wrote:Here is the new MN Private Transfer Form.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Documents/Private-Party-Transfer-Form.pdf

The only way for me to keep an electronic file of the identification and signature requirements, I would have to fill out the paper form and them SCAN that document with the signatures and identification requirements.

Would that scanned electronic copy of the original document be sufficient to meet the requirements? Would I need to keep the original?

Thanks.

Yes.

"A copy in digital form shall be acceptable for the purposes of this paragraph."
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby daleamn on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:41 pm

Frustrated/dispirited heavy sigh that this is now where we are.

Thanks for posting it though westhope, it's informative to see what it really is, and thanks for the interpretation bstrawse.
daleamn

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:41 pm

Full fact sheet + video from the MN Gun Owners Caucus at https://gunowners.mn/ubcs

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:47 pm

I’m not from MN, is this a new law that you have to do when doing a private sale in MN now, or just a suggestion?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby westhope on Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:59 pm

It is a “suggestion” to stay out of JAIL.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:48 pm

Scratch wrote:I’m not from MN, is this a new law that you have to do when doing a private sale in MN now, or just a suggestion?

Old law was if you sold a handgun or assault weapon privately, without checking carry or purchase permit, and the buyer used it in the commission of a crime within a year, you could be charged with a gross misdemeanor. So recording info and taking pictures of ID and permit, and holding on to it for a year was a good idea.

Now it's mandatory. You have to use their form and you have to hang into it for ten years.
jdege

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:28 pm

jdege wrote:
Scratch wrote:I’m not from MN, is this a new law that you have to do when doing a private sale in MN now, or just a suggestion?

Old law was if you sold a handgun or assault weapon privately, without checking carry or purchase permit, and the buyer used it in the commission of a crime within a year, you could be charged with a gross misdemeanor. So recording info and taking pictures of ID and permit, and holding on to it for a year was a good idea.

Now it's mandatory. You have to use their form and you have to hang into it for ten years.

But still no background check?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:35 pm

Scratch wrote:
jdege wrote:

But still no background check?

You're required to show a permit to carry or permit to purchase.
b
bstrawse

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:27 pm

Scratch wrote:But still no background check?

There is a background check, one way or another.
The choices:
  • Complete a Report of Transfer Form, submit it to your local police chief, and wait for a response, or
  • Present a Permit to Purchase, which shows you passed a background check prior to issuance, or
  • Present a Permit to Carry, which means you'll have a background check run annually.

Of course, nobody ever bothers with the Report of Transfer, because it's essentially the same process as getting Permit to Purchase, and the latter is easier on the seller. FFLs,, rather than holding on to the gun while waiting for the form to be returned, will usually tell you to get a Permit to Purchase and come back. I expect most private sellers will do the same.
jdege

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:34 am

jdege wrote:Of course, nobody ever bothers with the Report of Transfer, because it's essentially the same process as getting Permit to Purchase, and the latter is easier on the seller. FFLs,, rather than holding on to the gun while waiting for the form to be returned, will usually tell you to get a Permit to Purchase and come back. I expect most private sellers will do the same.

Loose imagination and nothing else: what would be the effect if police chiefs would suddenly receive unfathomable amount of Report of Transfer paperwork? I am sure something similar was done in recent history - of which I am not a student of.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Private Transfer Form

Postby dismal on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:45 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:
Loose imagination and nothing else: what would be the effect if police chiefs would suddenly receive unfathomable amount of Report of Transfer paperwork?

I suspect that they’d just sit on the paperwork until they got a round tuit.
dismal

Postby Uffdaphil on Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:11 pm

If this new infringement is not overturned I expect down the road apiece the form will also have to be filed with some state department. And trust that the info won’t be shared with the feds of course.

I don’t allow a party to a private sale to have my address. They show me their “official” bill of sale form with all kinds of info not legally required. I say you are just giving a burglar a future shopping list. Or your teenager’s leftie friend sneaks a photo of your files for whatever nefarious purpose. Showing permit and ID ii sufficient. Or was until now.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby daleamn on Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:12 pm

Keeping a piece of paperwork around for 10 years??? And being able to find it when someone asks for it?
Question: How LONG do they give you to find it? If I took this route I'd have it in a bank's safety deposit box so it would be banker's hours to produce it.

I think buying or selling with a private individual I'll go to an FFL and pay the transfer fee to avoid the hassle.
P.S. I'm CERTAIN all the Twin Cities drive-byers will adhering to the new law so we should see a MAJOR decrease in the 'Gun Violence'. /sarcasm off
daleamn

Next

Return to General Gun Chat