Suggestions for the Ideal Gun Range

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Suggestions for the Ideal Gun Range

Postby daleamn on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:58 pm

What would your ideal gun range have?

I'll start it out:
1. One lane with a chronograph like a Labradar so you could see how fast your bullets are traveling.
2. One lane with reactive targets. For fun. Like the 1950's shooting galleries with guns and targets and not the present day shooting galleries with drugs and needles.
3. Clean rest rooms.

Note: this has been done on numerous other gun forums but I thought it would be fun getting the Minnesota take on it and MAYBE some Minnesota gun ranges would take note. If this has been done to death here in the past, I apologize.
daleamn

Re: Suggestions for the Ideal Gun Range

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:52 pm

I’ll add having multiple 3 sided bays where you can draw from holsters, set up stages for drills, incorporating movement and transitions, and shoot steel.

You said ideal.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Lumpy on Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:35 pm

A "Hogan's Alley" tactical response range?
Lumpy

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:21 am

What are the parameters? Indoor? Outdoor?

For outdoor:

One feature I really like is the ability to shoot targets at various ranges without moving my shooting position. So a U-shaped range with the sides high enough to be a safe berm, just like the backstop. Covered shooting positions to protect from sun and rain, but high enough and angled so to not make the muzzle blasts unbearable to the shooter. Lots of steel targets to minimize target changes and setup. A good ground surface that makes it easy to find spent brass. Enough tables/shooting benches to hold my gear and keep it off the ground.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:53 am

The ideal, (cost is no object) range would require at least a square mile of land (640 acres). It would have a 1,000yd rifle range with a covered firing line and electronic targets at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. There would need to be areas where you PRS types could set up your steel targets. You would probably need multiple pistol ranges going out to at least 50yds with berms covering at least 3 sides for safety. The Smallbore range would need to be at least 100 yards with electronic targets. Shotgun, I guess you'd need trap, skeet and sporting clay areas. Lastly, there would be at least a half mile safety fan surrounding the ranges.

Anyone got some spare change they'd like to donate?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:33 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:The ideal, (cost is no object) range would require at least a square mile of land (640 acres). It would have a 1,000yd rifle range with a covered firing line and electronic targets at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. There would need to be areas where you PRS types could set up your steel targets. You would probably need multiple pistol ranges going out to at least 50yds with berms covering at least 3 sides for safety. The Smallbore range would need to be at least 100 yards with electronic targets. Shotgun, I guess you'd need trap, skeet and sporting clay areas. Lastly, there would be at least a half mile safety fan surrounding the ranges.

Curious why 900 if there is an 800 and 1000? Why not 1200, 1500, or a mile? (I do get your land requirements also increase)
Holland&Holland

Postby daleamn on Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:20 pm

I'd like some kind of adjustable netting device on the side of each shooting lane to catch the brass. Maybe something with a 2 foot by 1 foot opening adjustable for height and tiltable so you could shoot normally but it would catch your brass---well most of it. My knees are starting to really dislike my semi-autos and appreciate my revolvers and bolt actions.
daleamn

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:19 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:The ideal, (cost is no object) range would require at least a square mile of land (640 acres). It would have a 1,000yd rifle range with a covered firing line and electronic targets at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. There would need to be areas where you PRS types could set up your steel targets. You would probably need multiple pistol ranges going out to at least 50yds with berms covering at least 3 sides for safety. The Smallbore range would need to be at least 100 yards with electronic targets. Shotgun, I guess you'd need trap, skeet and sporting clay areas. Lastly, there would be at least a half mile safety fan surrounding the ranges.

Curious why 900 if there is an 800 and 1000? Why not 1200, 1500, or a mile? (I do get your land requirements also increase)

The simple answer is, my background, my fantasy.

The more long winded answer is, you need a 900yd line to host Palma matches. (800, 900 & 1000 yards) From a practical standpoint 97% of all shooters will never shoot past 1,000 yards. In fact, you'd probably need some kind of qualification system before being allowed to shoot past 300.

ETA: I just thought of something to add. There should be some kind of bullet trap in the impact area(s) to capture all bullets for recycling. I seem to recall seeing something to that effect at the National Shooting Center in Bisley England.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:37 am

How far away would this range be located to still maintain its ideal status?
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:51 am

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:How far away would this range be located to still maintain its ideal status?

In my fantasy world it would be in my back yard. :lol:

Realistically, I think within an hour drive of the metro area would be ideal.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Postby jdege on Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:02 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:How far away would this range be located to still maintain its ideal status?

In my fantasy world it would be in my back yard. :lol:

Realistically, I think within an hour drive of the metro area would be ideal.

I just keep hoping that they'll open up the range at Fort Snelling, again.
jdege

Postby Bitter Bastard on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:54 pm

My backyard, with the firing line open to the gun vault. I've found I'm getting really lazy, and even though I have a good range in my backyard, carrying the various stuff for a shooting session out of the basement is often more work than I'm in the mood for. Wouldn't it be great to take a gun off the rack, open a garage door and start shooting? Sigh. Dare to dream. Maybe after Friday's lottery drawing.

As long as we're dreaming, can there be bikini-clad gun bunnies to tape and reset targets, and load magazines?

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:57 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

The simple answer is, my background, my fantasy.

The more long winded answer is, you need a 900yd line to host Palma matches. (800, 900 & 1000 yards) From a practical standpoint 97% of all shooters will never shoot past 1,000 yards. In fact, you'd probably need some kind of qualification system before being allowed to shoot past 300.

ETA: I just thought of something to add. There should be some kind of bullet trap in the impact area(s) to capture all bullets for recycling. I seem to recall seeing something to that effect at the National Shooting Center in Bisley England.

Got it.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:36 am

Ability to shoot 5000+ yards at steel targets.

ELR - ULR are currently shooting events out to 4400 yards with repetitious hits.

I can only go 1.5 miles in my neighborhood.

Although I did ask the Sheriff If I could shoot high over a county gravel road to go 2 miles = he said "NO Doug". I tried, but we did have a great conversation about distance shooting.

NOTE : I am putting on a 50BMG CLINIC at GRRC for determining Corrected Ballistic Coefficient of your projectiles and then shooting 600 and 1000 yards based on info we provide you.
Sept 9th and 10th. ( I will have openings on Sept 8th for sub-calibers like : 460Steyr, 416Barrett, 408CheyTec, 375CheyTec, 338LM, and a host of Wildcats in this range)
Call or text me at 612-309-6517
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:10 am

This is what popped into my mind about you asking your sheriff.

Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Next

Return to General Gun Chat