New MN Machine Gun Rules?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:27 am

What changed with machine gun ownership in MN with the new laws? Or is this another case of bad reporting?

The new gun laws also include tightened restrictions on who can own a machine gun

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-m ... 122d&ei=11

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: New MN Machine Gun Rules?

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:25 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:What changed with machine gun ownership in MN with the new laws? Or is this another case of bad reporting?

The new gun laws also include tightened restrictions on who can own a machine gun

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard

Binary triggers were prohibited - and the sentence for illegal possession of an automatic firearm, to include auto-sears, was increased from 5 to 20 years.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Bitter Bastard on Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:44 am

Thanks much, so I'll chalk this up to bad reporting because neither of those things affect who can own a machine gun. Sigh. Modern reporting is generally really bad.

Kind of a bummer about binary triggers, but as I live in WI, and I don't actually own any at this time, meh. More MN ********. "The state where nothing is allowed" as said by Garage Lagic.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:46 am

bstrawse wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:What changed with machine gun ownership in MN with the new laws? Or is this another case of bad reporting?

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard

Binary triggers were prohibited - and the sentence for illegal possession of an automatic firearm, to include auto-sears, was increased from 5 to 20 years.
b

Any plans to challenge the binary trigger provision? Does it apply to paintball guns?
gun_fan111v2

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:57 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Any plans to challenge the binary trigger provision? Does it apply to paintball guns?

No, it applies to firearms.

We don't plan to challenge this as we have other litigation we're working on to challenge some other things that would be easier to win. But if you have a spare $125k laying about, we'd be happy to bring a suit on binary triggers :)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:00 am

Let me correct something I wrote earlier.

The binary trigger prohibition has been in place for quite some time.

Here's the change to the specific machine gun definition/prohibition.

(2) a device that allows a semiautomatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger or by harnessing the recoil of energy of the semiautomatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger.

This covers bump stocks and similar items.

Sorry about the misstatement above. 500+ page bill.
bstrawse

Postby samginko on Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:35 am

I've seen binary triggers being used at the range. Is it illegal in Minnesota?
samginko

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:15 pm

samginko wrote:I've seen binary triggers being used at the range. Is it illegal in Minnesota?

Yes - and has been for quite some time.

Bryan
bstrawse

Postby Markemp on Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:41 pm

bstrawse wrote:
samginko wrote:I've seen binary triggers being used at the range. Is it illegal in Minnesota?

Bryan

Is there any sort of TIPS style program if you see people using one? Asking for a friend.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby bstrawse on Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:24 pm

If you're going to start to use this forum as a place to obtain information and report people, your remaining time here will be short-lived.

b
bstrawse

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:17 pm

bstrawse wrote:Let me correct something I wrote earlier.

The binary trigger prohibition has been in place for quite some time.

Here's the change to the specific machine gun definition/prohibition.

(2) a device that allows a semiautomatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger or by harnessing the recoil of energy of the semiautomatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger.

This covers bump stocks and similar items.

Sorry about the misstatement above. 500+ page bill.

Appreciate the clarification

Unfortunately, no spare $125k to toss at this one :(
gun_fan111v2

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:28 pm

Markemp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

Bryan

Is there any sort of TIPS style program if you see people using one? Asking for a friend.

That is not divisive at all.
Holland&Holland

Postby warrlac on Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:13 am

Markemp wrote:
bstrawse wrote:

Bryan

It is obvious why Markemp is here. Thank you for making your agenda and purpose for belonging to this Minnesota-focused gun forum crystal clear to the other members.

Posting only in the political forums and espousing anti-gun rhetoric, you are truly the Star Tribune Sunday Edition of the website. Perhaps you could contribute helpful information about your actual experience with marksmanship, shooting competitions, firearms education and/or firearms safety the other 6 days of the week?

Don't get me wrong, we like having you here as yourself, because if you were simply asked to go away we know that you would reappear under some sockpuppet profile and keep doing it anyway like most trolls.
warrlac

Postby Lumpy on Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:24 pm

bstrawse wrote:But if you have a spare $125k laying about, we'd be happy to bring a suit on binary triggers :)
b

On my "when I win the lottery" list.
Lumpy

Return to General Gun Chat