Should I convert my AR pistol into a SBR?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Lumpy on Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:04 pm

"Pistol" is pushing the boundaries of the term for my Springfield Saint Victor:
Springfield Saint Victor 02.png

Even with the brace, that sucker's heavy to wield one-armed. Frankly I'm wondering if I should just go NFA so I can put a proper stock and foregrip on it. Pros and cons?
Lumpy

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:35 pm

I plan on owning both, SBR lower for more flexibility with accessories at the range and AR Pistol lower for more flexibility of where it can be taken.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Should I convert my AR pistol into a SBR?

Postby crbutler on Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:05 pm

In my mind, the only real reason to have an AR pistol is hunting. An artifact of our goofy laws.

The SBR is the more useful option.

That being said, the games the ATF has been playing with changing what they stated was legal are wrong. I get why folks don’t want to tax stamp it, and it’s certainly not a logical process, but usefulness is pretty limited for a pistol that long and heavy.
crbutler

Postby Markemp on Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:59 pm

SBR all the way. AR pistols just seem like they are trying too hard to do something that can be done better with a pistol.

Although another acceptable answer would be to sell that, get a PS-90 and get an SBR for that. As long as you're going to go through the trouble of getting through the SBR process in the first place.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:00 pm

It will get over turned so why spend the money.
Bearcatrp

Postby warrlac on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:25 pm

I gave consideration to going the SBR route but decided to remove the stabilization brace instead.

I made the decision based on my belief that the ATF's position on pistol braces (and subsequent offer to SBR them free of charge until May 1, 2023) was essentially a bullying tactic to further push lawful gun owners into gun registration.

In order to remain lawful (for the time being) I removed the stabilization brace and stored it safely away from the pistol. Sorry ATF.
warrlac

Postby Lumpy on Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:49 pm

I'd really like to see the whole NFA rules on SBRs and suppressors scrapped, but that's not likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Yeah, the whole kerfuffle with braces has me leery of trusting the ATF on just about anything.
Lumpy

Postby warrlac on Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:54 am

Just for clarification, a FN PS-90 has a 16 inch barrel and is a legal rifle in America. If you swapped out the 16 inch barrel for a 10.3 inch one, THEN you would have to SBR it. 5.7x28 ammo is around 75 cents per round however...

Markemp wrote:SBR all the way. AR pistols just seem like they are trying too hard to do something that can be done better with a pistol.

Although another acceptable answer would be to sell that, get a PS-90 and get an SBR for that. As long as you're going to go through the trouble of getting through the SBR process in the first place.
warrlac

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:24 am

SBR's are great, I'd recommend you do it. You get better stock options than the braces offered and for now braces are up in the air anyway. Get the SBR, put on your favorite stock, and enjoy. The only downside I see of an SBR is the permission slip required to take it across state lines. I don' t hunt, so the pistol vs rifle for hunting doesn't matter to me, although I know it does to other people. Also, I wouldn't carry an AR pistol anyway, so making it into a rifle again doesn't matter to me, although the idea of one as a truck gun is intriguing.

For my AR SBR's, I have a lower built as a pistol I can put the uppers on if I need to. Not that I have ever needed to other than to see if it worked. AR lowers are cheap and easy to come by and it will give you the pistol option if you want.

Another advantage of an SBR is suppression. Get a short barrel and add a suppressor and you're still probably under or near the previous AOL but now it is quieter to shoot. Which reminds me of another option - some cans like the Gemtech Trek are made to have the option to easily pin/weld to a ~12" barrel to bring up the OAL to 16". Suppression, shortness (kinda), and no SBR paperwork so no 5320 required to take it across state lines. Yes, there is still the $200 tax and paperwork, and you can't take it to non-silencer friendly states, but still a win, IMO.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:22 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:some cans like the Gemtech Trek are made to have the option to easily pin/weld to a ~12" barrel to bring up the OAL to 16"

This does sound interesting, but what about cleaning the pinned can?
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:38 am

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:some cans like the Gemtech Trek are made to have the option to easily pin/weld to a ~12" barrel to bring up the OAL to 16"

You can still dip it into solvent…

Warranty issues could become a hassle though…
gun_fan111v2

Postby Bitter Bastard on Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:09 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:
IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:

You can still dip it into solvent…

Warranty issues could become a hassle though…

Rifle cans are usually sealed, nothing to clean internally. Just need to be careful to not lose a patch in it or leave solvent it in when cleaning the bbl. Overall nothing I would worry about. I'm going to do this with my Trek this fall or over the winter with any luck.

Side note - even pistol cans not used with .22's probably don't need to be cleaned much. I got a bargain on a used .45 pistol can a few years back and it didn't come with the disassembly tool and it is also stuck so I can't get it open at all. I asked a high volume dealer about it that does a lot of can demos for LE and he said not to worry about it, they never clean their demo cans and they work just fine. I've had a few thousand rounds thru my used can and yeah, it's working just fine. Sure, I'd like to be able to clean it but it doesn't keep me up nights. And again, as a used can, it was a bargain. I think I paid about $200 for it and it has a built-in 3-lug mount. So under $500 with taxes and fees, I'm very happy with it. It is similar in performance to my other can.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Lumpy on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:23 am

Okay, I took a look at the ATF form 5320.1 online and I'm a bit confused. Supposedly one can file online- except that they want it in triplicate so they can send a completed copy back to you and to local law enforcement. If you file online will the ATF forward the forms? Plus they want an attached photograph with one's info on the back? Should I just do it by snail mail?
Lumpy

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:36 pm

If you file online, you can upload the photo in the electronic form (one side only, no back). You can also get an electronic file with your fingerprints so that you can use it over and over again… Here is one place to do that https://printscan.com/

They do email you copies of the submitted form that can be sent to local LEO. All copies are inside one file, so may need to separate if you care to.
gun_fan111v2

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:07 pm

Lumpy wrote:Okay, I took a look at the ATF form 5320.1 online and I'm a bit confused. Supposedly one can file online- except that they want it in triplicate so they can send a completed copy back to you and to local law enforcement. If you file online will the ATF forward the forms? Plus they want an attached photograph with one's info on the back? Should I just do it by snail mail?

You can submit an electronic photo and fingerprints if you have them in the correct format. Otherwise when the form gets to the right stage on the ATF's side, they will email you to send in a physical picture and fingerprint cards. Another option is to use Silencer Shop's Form 1 service. You find a shop with a kiosk and roll your own print and they will go to your Silencer Shop account. And then you use the SS app to upload a picture of yourself. Then with a combination of Silencer Shop and your ATF e-form account, you can submit it all electronically. SS charges $50 for the service. I've done it, it's OK. Once I get electronic fingerprints done, I probably won't use them any more but until then, it's a pretty easy solution and they have support people to help you with the process. Honestly, a paper form 1 is pretty easy and isn't a bad route, but the e-file will be faster for approval.

And with your own filing, you need to send a copy to your chief LEO. Silencer Shop will do that for you. Very minor thing but wanted to touch on it since that was part of your question.

Good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Return to General Gun Chat