AR-15 History Book

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

AR-15 History Book

Postby daleamn on Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 am

Well, I'm not going to give an opinion on the book because I haven't read it yet. I just thought I'd put out the information that this book is out there for anyone interested. Note: it is in the Ramsey County Library system so you would not have to buy it.

Once again, I'm NOT recommending it (I haven't read it yet) I'm just putting this information out there.

American gun : the true story of the AR-15 written by Cameron McWhirter and Zusha Elinson.

In the 1950s an obsessive firearms designer named Eugene Stoner invented the AR-15 rifle in a California garage. He sought to devise a lightweight, easy-to-use weapon that could replace the M1s touted by soldiers in World War II. What he did create was a lethal handheld icon of the American century. McWhirter and Elinson track the AR-15 from inception to ubiquity. How did the same gun represent the essence of freedom to millions of Americans and the essence of evil to millions more? Shunned by gun owners at first, the rifle's popularity would take off thanks to a renegade band of small-time gun makers. By the 2000s it would become the weapon of choice for mass shooters, prompting widespread calls for proscription even as the gun industry embraced it as a financial savior. The book is a moral history of contemporary America's love affair with technology, freedom, and weaponry--Adapted from jacket.
DESCRIPTION:
xiii, 473 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
daleamn

Re: AR-15 History Book

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:21 am

Eugene Stoner invented the AR-15 rifle in a California garage

That's rich. I guess if you consider Armalite Corporation to be a Garage. :roll:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: AR-15 History Book

Postby Lumpy on Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:32 am

Just the blurb tells which way the narrative is going to go. :roll:
Lumpy