Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Going to order a barrel for my AR10. Looking for a real good gunsmith who knows his stuff. Will check with stu at deltone in st cloud but if he is tied up, need to look elsewhere. Appreciate any recommendations.
Bearcatrp

Re: Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Postby warrlac on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:49 am

I have a 4 lb. hammer and some vice-grips. Bring it on over! :roll:
warrlac

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:36 am

Thanks for the offer. About what I have if I were to do it myself.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:36 pm

I have the dedicated AR action wrench - makes for easy barrel swaps into AR-15 or AR-10 uppers.

You are welcome to borrow it and I can give you tips on how to use it properly.

(I am going under the knife again and will be down for several weeks, but at home.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 am

Thanks for the offer. Have always bought complete uppers. Don't know anything on barrel replacements. Don't have the go/nogo gauges. Good luck on your surgery. Let us know how it goes.
Bearcatrp

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:16 pm

For the AR15/AR10 pattern rifles, if you buy a finished barrel with the barrel extension, you won't need headspace gages. If you're worried about it buy a new bolt with the barrel.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:03 pm

Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:17 pm

Just ordered the barrel. Hope its better than the 6.5 grendel I tried years ago. Couldn't group crap with any bullet I tried.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:55 pm

Starting to consider putting an entire upper together. If I do, what do I need besides barrel, upper, gas block,tube and barrel nut? Am thinking just the tools but not sure. Let me know if I am missing something. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:00 pm

This picture shows the parts well, except the barrel nut

gun_fan111v2

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:33 pm

Thanks for posting that picture. The bolt, charging handle and brake will come from the current AR that is getting the upgrade. Need to know the tools I will need. Is there a complete set out there to buy instead of buying piece by piece?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:57 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks for posting that picture. The bolt, charging handle and brake will come from the current AR that is getting the upgrade. Need to know the tools I will need. Is there a complete set out there to buy instead of buying piece by piece?

Wheeler will have an AR armorers kit but nothing is 100% complete. For example your barrel nut will likely come with the handguard, may be proprietary, and especially for ar10 will likely require a wrench of some sort. Sometimes the wrench comes with it too, sometimes not.
Holland&Holland

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:32 pm

IMG_5622.jpeg
Don’t forget the Aeroshell or equivalent hi-temp grease for the barrel extension. And a heat gun for the receiver if a tight fit.

I would have an experienced person do the swap unless you plan on doing future installs. Torque values are important for the barrel and muzzle device. Gas block and gas tube alignment is critical. Loktite needed for gas block. Best would be someone who would let you watch and explain the process. I am comfortable doing my own work, but would never do someone else's barrel install except for family.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:34 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:
IMG_5622.jpeg
Don’t forget the Aeroshell or equivalent hi-temp grease for the barrel extension. And a heat gun for the receiver if a tight fit.

I would have an experienced person do the swap unless you plan on doing future installs. Torque values are important for the barrel and muzzle device. Gas block and gas tube alignment is critical. Loktite needed for gas block. Best would be someone who would let you watch and explain the process. I am comfortable doing my own work, but would never do someone else's barrel install except for family.

Good advice.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:43 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:
IMG_5622.jpeg

Grease for barrel extension? Will probably have someone put it together since I have never assembled one before. Used to buying complete uppers. Decided to keep the current upper I’m using now, which is a 12.5 inch barrel. Once I get all the parts in, which will be a few months, I’ll have someone put it together.
Bearcatrp

Next

Return to General Gun Chat