Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 pm

Yes, hi-temp grease to slide extension into the upper receiver. The same grease on the barrel nut threads.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:45 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Uffdaphil wrote:
IMG_5622.jpeg
Don’t forget the Aeroshell or equivalent hi-temp grease for the barrel extension. And a heat gun for the receiver if a tight fit.

I would have an experienced person do the swap unless you plan on doing future installs. Torque values are important for the barrel and muzzle device. Gas block and gas tube alignment is critical. Loktite needed for gas block. Best would be someone who would let you watch and explain the process. I am comfortable doing my own work, but would never do someone else's barrel install except for family.

Grease for barrel extension? Will probably have someone put it together since I have never assembled one before. Used to buying complete uppers. Decided to keep the current upper I’m using now, which is a 12.5 inch barrel. Once I get all the parts in, which will be a few months, I’ll have someone put it together.

It is not as hard as it sounds. Watch a few YouTube vids. Larry potterfield and brownells have some good ones.

Torque wrench and a little research and you will be fine.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:28 pm

Thanks folks. Will check out some you tube videos.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:25 am

I'm afraid if I watched YouTube videos I would find out I did my AR-15 re-barrel incorrectly, but damn - it sure eats 223REM and 5.56X45 ammo at a rapid pace with no interruptions.

The correct tools and a lot of common sense will result in a proper installation.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 pm

Found an upper and rail for a good price. Now to find an adjustable gas block.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 pm

Well that fizzled. Back to my searches.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:25 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I'm afraid if I watched YouTube videos I would find out I did my AR-15 re-barrel incorrectly, but damn - it sure eats 223REM and 5.56X45 ammo at a rapid pace with no interruptions.

The correct tools and a lot of common sense will result in a proper installation.

Lefty loosey righty tighty
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:08 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:<> and a lot of common sense will result in a proper installation.

Which is why I never trusted myself to get into reloading. I suffer from severe klutzitis.
Lumpy

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:04 am

Lumpy wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:<> and a lot of common sense will result in a proper installation.

Which is why I never trusted myself to get into reloading. I suffer from severe klutzitis.

Not as bad as you think. You only lose a finger or hand if you screw up. :mrgreen:
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:06 am

Been watching you tube videos on installing. On one video, he used anti seize on threads. On another video, they used locktite. Which one do I use? From watching these videos, the barrel sets into the notch, then barrel nut locks it in. So I take it no gauges (go/no go) needed? Looks fairly easy with the right tools. Plan on doing this myself when I get a good vise and wrench. Appreciate any suggestions before I begin. Thanks.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:55 am

Asked KAK industries about torque on the barrel nut. Said 45 lbs. seems low. The you tube videos I watched all showed 65 lbs. will 45 lbs be enough?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:39 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Been watching you tube videos on installing. On one video, he used anti seize on threads. On another video, they used locktite. Which one do I use? From watching these videos, the barrel sets into the notch, then barrel nut locks it in. So I take it no gauges (go/no go) needed? Looks fairly easy with the right tools. Plan on doing this myself when I get a good vise and wrench. Appreciate any suggestions before I begin. Thanks.

You can buy the aeroshell 33ms milspec grease on Amazon. You need very little. Do not usu lock tite
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:41 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Asked KAK industries about torque on the barrel nut. Said 45 lbs. seems low. The you tube videos I watched all showed 65 lbs. will 45 lbs be enough?

Ar15 milspec is 30-80 I believe so 45 is right in there. I always follow the manufacturer spec and have had no problems
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:36 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Been watching you tube videos on installing. On one video, he used anti seize on threads. On another video, they used locktite. Which one do I use? From watching these videos, the barrel sets into the notch, then barrel nut locks it in. So I take it no gauges (go/no go) needed? Looks fairly easy with the right tools. Plan on doing this myself when I get a good vise and wrench. Appreciate any suggestions before I begin. Thanks.

You can buy the aeroshell 33ms milspec grease on Amazon. You need very little. Do not usu lock tite

Is this stuff better than anti sieze.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:07 am

Dunno, it is what is specified so I use it and it works. I have heard that certain antiseizes you don’t want to use with an aluminum to steal connection.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat