Sandals or flip flops while shooting

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Sandals or flip flops while shooting

Postby hard h2o on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:34 am

I was up ice fishing in Canada last weekend. Fishing was a bit slow so stories were told.

My brother-in-law told me that his buddy went to a FITASC event and, while wearing shorts and flip flops, stepped up to the line. He was immediately DQed. He was told they wear long pants and shoes. His entry fee was not refunded.

I was at a training event for Scheel's. We were being shown a video from the manufacturer of the item we were training on starring Lena Mikulec. In the video she enters an indoor range and is wearing sandals. She proceeds to stop to her bay and shoots wearing the sandals.

I thought OGC had a prohibition against sandals or open toed shoes. I would never think of shooting with that kind of footwear.
hard h2o

Re: Sandals or flip flops while shooting

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:23 pm

I get flip flops and maybe sandals if you are in a competition where there is movement but why no sandals if you are shooting at a bench?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I get flip flops and maybe sandals if you are in a competition where there is movement but why no sandals if you are shooting at a bench?

Hot brass on the feet/ between the toes...doing a panic dance, and waving a pistol around, would be my guess...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Markemp on Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:37 pm

xd ED wrote:Hot brass on the feet/ between the toes...doing a panic dance, and waving a pistol around, would be my guess...

I know, right? I feel like this is one of those "tell me you've never shot a gun before without saying you've never shot a gun before" moments.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby Sorcerer on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:16 pm

My wife caught a hot 45 brass between her glasses and eye brow. Hit the bill of her hat first. :D The 1911 bounced off the cross table onto floor pointed at the other shooting positions. She also had a 9mm brass down the cleavage.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:08 am

Markemp wrote:
xd ED wrote:Hot brass on the feet/ between the toes...doing a panic dance, and waving a pistol around, would be my guess...

I know, right? I feel like this is one of those "tell me you've never shot a gun before without saying you've never shot a gun before" moments.

Seriously? Coming from you? Please, when do you want to meet at the range? I am a member at 2.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:11 am

xd ED wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I get flip flops and maybe sandals if you are in a competition where there is movement but why no sandals if you are shooting at a bench?

Hot brass on the feet/ between the toes...doing a panic dance, and waving a pistol around, would be my guess...

I get that, but if one used that thinking then only long pants, long sleeves, tight collar. You get my drift. Plus, I have had brass down my shirt before and never waved a gun around when doing it.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I get that, but if one used that thinking then only long pants, long sleeves, tight collar. You get my drift. Plus, I have had brass down my shirt before and never waved a gun around when doing it.

Not panicking likely comes from experience.

Shooting at a line like one would find at OGC I do tend to wear tight collars, long sleeves and pants, and even boots. But I am in the habit of dressing that way most of the time. The boots because I don’t want to roll an ankle on loose brass, etc.
Likewise shooting prone-not so much for flying brass, but protection from the sun. I did sunburn my feet once wearing sandals. It’s s not fun.
I don’t recall the subject of footwear coming up at any range I have been to, other than with regards to rocks, mud, brush, etc.
Other than eyes and ears, there’s nothing in OGC’s Range Rules regarding apparel.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 am

I don't know what FITASC is, but assume it's a sanctioning body for some kind of match.

Their match their rules as far as I'm concerned, but I think it's crappy that someone didn't point it out to the shooter before they stepped up to the line.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:47 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't know what FITASC is, but assume it's a sanctioning body for some kind of match.

Their match their rules as far as I'm concerned, but I think it's crappy that someone didn't point it out to the shooter before they stepped up to the line.

I learned this from a Youtube video,

FITASC. Fédération Internationale de Tir aux Armes Sportives de Chasse
The org is French in origin
the add precluding the video was promoting anti gun legislation
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:04 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't know what FITASC is, but assume it's a sanctioning body for some kind of match.

No one pointed it out because at most matches you are not allowed to “coach” another competitor. Also if the competition is of a high(er) degree, other competitors will allow you to incur penalties even being DQ.
Sorcerer

Postby hard h2o on Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:08 pm

It is the international sporting clays association I believe.

There was a national shoot and they had a few related sanctioned shoots associated.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:18 am

hard h2o wrote:

It is the international sporting clays association I believe.

There was a national shoot and they had a few related sanctioned shoots associated.

That makes sense, shotgun guys are always resting their gun barrels on their toes :D
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:12 am

Sorcerer wrote:

No one pointed it out because at most matches you are not allowed to “coach” another competitor. Also if the competition is of a high(er) degree, other competitors will allow you to incur penalties even being DQ.

I don't consider notifying someone of a rule/safety violation to be coaching. Eff'n French.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:00 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:...Eff'n French.

LET'S GO BRANDON