Sandals or flip flops while shooting

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Sandals or flip flops while shooting

Postby TSKNIGHT on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:28 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
hard h2o wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I don't know what FITASC is, but assume it's a sanctioning body for some kind of match.

Their match their rules as far as I'm concerned, but I think it's crappy that someone didn't point it out to the shooter before they stepped up to the line.

It is the international sporting clays association I believe.

There was a national shoot and they had a few related sanctioned shoots associated.

That makes sense, shotgun guys are always resting their gun barrels on their toes :D

Know a guy that used to rest his shotgun on the toe of his boot. He had an extra leather pad with a ring around it so the barrel wouldn't slip off his boot. He will remain nameless, but he used to coach a successful FFA trap team mid 90's.
TSKNIGHT

Postby hard h2o on Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:14 pm

TSKNIGHT wrote:That makes sense, shotgun guys are always resting their gun barrels on their toes :D

Know a guy that used to rest his shotgun on the toe of his boot. He had an extra leather pad with a ring around it so the barrel wouldn't slip off his boot. He will remain nameless, but he used to coach a successful FFA trap team mid 90's.[/quote]

It is not unusual for trap and skeet guys to rest the barrel of break open guns on a pad on the ground, the toe of a boot, or on something attached to the laces on a shoe or boot. You can visually see that chambers are empty and the action is open.

I have never seen that done with a pump or semi-auto.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:53 am

hard h2o wrote:
TSKNIGHT wrote:That makes sense, shotgun guys are always resting their gun barrels on their toes :D

Know a guy that used to rest his shotgun on the toe of his boot. He had an extra leather pad with a ring around it so the barrel wouldn't slip off his boot. He will remain nameless, but he used to coach a successful FFA trap team mid 90's.

It is not unusual for trap and skeet guys to rest the barrel of break open guns on a pad on the ground, the toe of a boot, or on something attached to the laces on a shoe or boot. You can visually see that chambers are empty and the action is open.

I have never seen that done with a pump or semi-auto.[/quote]
Correct. Break actions
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:01 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Correct. Break actions

At OGC for the monthly NRL22 match the match director even mentions this practice of trap shooters and notes that it will result in a DQ from the match.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:42 am

hard h2o wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Correct. Break actions

At OGC for the monthly NRL22 match the match director even mentions this practice of trap shooters and notes that it will result in a DQ from the match.

Who would rest a .22 on their toe?
Holland&Holland

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:24 pm

Best thing about the french is the colors on their flag.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby daleamn on Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:23 pm

Who would rest a .22 on their toe?

Doesn't really sound safe to me either.
That said, I do remember shooters at matches (.22LR at 50 feet indoors) with shooting gloves for prone, sitting and kneeling positions, put the glove on the floor for the standing position and rest the muzzle of the rifle on the glove between shots. (MUCH safer than putting it on your toe.) I think they had 15 minutes for 10 shots and resting between shots was common. As a spectator sport it WAS a notch above watching paint dry but not by much. This was years ago and the equipment used was more interesting (IMhO) than watching the shooting. Most competitors had Anschutz 54 rifles with a few Winchester 52 rifles and a smattering of other brands and most used 20x Unertl scopes (for 50 FEET distance).
daleamn

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:18 am

LarryFlew wrote:Best thing about the french is the colors on their flag.

I dunno, they sure know how to cook.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:12 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Who would rest a .22 on their toe?

I assume it is a thing that someone has seen on a trap range and thought they should have in the briefing. They also mention not placing your hands over the end of the barrel with the butt resting on the ground.

It was strange shooting my first NRL22 match at OGC. I am so used to the way the range runs. For the match it has to, by necessity, run a bit different. It is a bit more fluid.

There are also things in the briefing that came about due to actual events of stupidity.

Normally if there is a warning mot to do something there is a reason.
hard h2o

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat