Shipping a long gun to another state

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Shipping a long gun to another state

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:58 pm

I recently bought an AR on Gun Broker.
The seller offered "Actual shipping price" which, I expected, would come to $30-$50.
However, invoice says $150, which I have hard time believing.

I realized I don't understand how gun shipping is done.
ATF allows shipping a long gun by a non-licensee to an FFL in another state (right?); but UPS, FedEx, or DHL have their own policies which prohibit that (right?)
By the way, are these (UPS and Fedex only doing business with licensed senders) recent developments?

And so, USPS is the only remaining option (right?)
Alternatively, one delegate shipping to an FFL... how much would that typically cost? Last time I had to do it, it was $40 (so that FFL would pocket $15-ish for handling,) but that was under rather special circumstances: I refused to accept the sale because it was not as advertised, prior to signing the 4473.

And on the same note, what if I needed to ship a handgun to the manufacturer for warranty repair? I could not mail it myself, could I?
IvanTheTerribleShot

Re: Shipping a long gun to another state

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:10 am

It's been a lot of years since I've shipped a firearm, but this what I remember. It's legal for an individual to ship a long gun to an FFL, but as you state FedEx and UPS have their own additional hoops to jump through. (I don't know about DHL)

The last long gun I shipped was through USPS. The cost was no where near $150, But depending how it was shipped (Priority, overnight, etc) I could see how it could go that high.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would have nailed down the shipping cost with the seller before I agreed to the sale.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Re: Shipping a long gun to another state

Postby Scratch on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:56 am

I'm an FFL in Wisconsin. If you want to check actual shipping costs, just log on to one of the sites and check it. I checked with UPS since I use them a lot. I did my address in Wisconsin to 123 main street somewhere in California. I did a 15 pound box, 42"x12"x4" with 800.00 of insurance and the lowest cost was 64.85 to be delivered on Thursday. The next fastest was 173.96 to get there on Wednesday. The dealer is going to charge a fee to package it up, toss it in a box, tape it shut, print the label, stick it on, then wait for the next truck to come pick it up. I charge 25.00 for that, all dealers are different but somewhere around there. Total I would charge someone to make that shipment= 89.85.

Actually, my charge would be less since that was directly from the UPS website. I use a website called pirateship.com which is a little bit cheaper but only by maybe 10-15 bucks in that case.

If it's a handgun, I ship by USPS but you have to have an FFL to do that. A dealer can ship handguns by USPS flat rate so if it fits in one of their boxes, there's no weight limit. Again using pirateship, a flatrate handgun box with 500.00 insurance costs me 32.80 (add .80 per 100.00 of insurance) Then add my 25.00 fee, and my customer pays me 57.80.

I know a non dealer cannot ship handguns but they could ship long guns (to an out of state dealer only) Although I think the shipping companies changed their policies about a year ago. I thought I heard that, and have noticed a lot more customers having me ship guns they sell on Gunbroker these days, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in on that for sure.
I need to remember the everchanging rules for DEALERS in my state, so I sometimes forget the rules that change for non dealers.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Return to General Gun Chat