Advice on BB/Pellet rifle for child

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Advice on BB/Pellet rifle for child

Postby plblark on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:53 am

OK, I'm in my happy place right now. Took the oldest (6) out last night to run errands. Out to the Gun Club to clean a door, across the street to look at the horses, WW to go away empty handed, Gander to see how high he prices could be, and then Dick's who had the .38 I needed for the steel shoot. He was good company and we had a nice time.

While we were at Dick's:
S: Dad, That pink one is my size (Cricket) but I don't want a PINK one.
Me: They make them in black, see there ...
S: Look at that one, it's kinda green and kinda brown (Rossi 22/20)
Me: SMILE

So, now I need to ease into it. He has the Eddie Eagle rules down, can recite them and explain why. He's vaguely familiar with the 4 rules(has heard them, we've talked about them, but he's not reciting or explaining them yet).

I think it's time to make a shooting gallery in the garage and get him set up with a small BB gun / Pellet rifle ...
Then he can earn the privilege by learning and displaying the rules.

Anyone have a cut down Red Ryder or a suggestion on what to get / avoid for a young kid? suggestions on targets and etc?
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Re: Advice on BB/Pellet rifle for child

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 am

The Daisy carbine BB gun it a bit shorter and easier to handle then the RR but the lever on those is tough for a youngster. Started both my kids on one though.

Another thought is a fore-end pump model. When the older one was able to move to a .22 or .410 and the younger really wanted to move up from the bb gun, got a daisy gizzly. Had a scope and was in camo so he thought it was pretty cool.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grandpa Rex on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:49 am

I started the grandson on a Crossman pump pistol.

You can vary the power with the number of pumps, it feels like a serious piece of hardware, and you can take out bunnies in the garden if you need to!
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby Belgiboy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 am

I would go for the Crossman 7600 pumpmaster. It's light, short and tons of fun. Shoots pellets and BB's accurate enough to learn the basics right. I think that Dick's actually carries them.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:51 am

Crosman 760
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Return to General Gun Chat