Gun shops in and around the Twin Cities

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun shops in and around the Twin Cities

Postby ijosef on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:33 pm

I know many of us live within the greater metro area, so I was hoping I could get some feedback on your favorite gun stores. There are quite a few I haven't been to yet (Metro Pawn & Gun, Bill's Gun Shop, Koscielski's Guns & Ammo), but I get a few general impressions of a lot of these places.

I'd like to know what shops deal and allow you to haggle and which ones won't. For example, I was just at The Frontiersman, and their overall prices were pretty high. Most of their lever guns and shotguns were priced about right, but handguns and milsurp stuff was steep. For example, they wanted $395 for a run-of-the-mill Norinco SKS! :shock: The people there seemed very nice however, and I've been told by others that it's a decent place to buy from.

Gander Mountain's prices are also high, as are Joe's Sporting Goods. I never tried dickering at either place though. Cabela's in Rogers seemed to have some okay deals, and the Gun Stop in Minnetonka wasn't bad either.

What are your favorite shops for service and prices?
ijosef

Re: Gun shops in and around the Twin Cities

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:41 pm

I frequent Metro Pawn and Gun. I realize that some people have hangups with Pawn Shops, but I have had really good luck with them. People sometimes complain about the prices on their used stuff, but then again these people are forgetting that this is a pawn shop. You are required to haggle. if you don't, they will call you names when you leave. Not nice names either. Lately their selection of used stuf (especially handguns) has been pretty slim, and their price on new stuff is pretty stiff, but not the bend-you-over-and-give-it-to-you-no-lube-with-a-running-head-start high prices that you will find at Goose Hill. No reason to go to Goose Hill. None. Not Ever. Pack of theives if you ask me.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:06 pm

I've been pleased with most places that I've been - but each visit has been highly dependent on who helped me.

Bill's South
- Mostly good experiences
- I've not used the range
- Purchased one pistol there and got help on another related issue
- prices are a bit high, but in range for what I was after

Bill's North
- mostly good experiences
- one salesman I interacted with that I didn't care for - I haven't seen him in weeks, may not be around
- like most of the staff except for above
- have had good experiences at the range - safety issues have been addressed when I've seen them
- have made a purchase here
- same as above on prices

Cabela's - Rogers
- except for wait at checkout, have had good experiences otherwise
- enjoyed the banter with the staff - when they have time to do it
- decent prices on some things
- have purchased pistol here and ammunition, etc

Joe's
- great staff, not only have I liked how I've been treated there, but saw a salesperson spent nearly an hour with someone and his younger son on purchasing a youth rifle - great interaction reinforcing all the right safety messages, etc, for the son.
- have made one purchase here - decent price for what I was looking for

Gander Mountain - Woodbury
- staff is decent - highly dependent on who I get
- small ammunition selection
- prices are high on some items, better on others
- have made two purchases here - both in the right range for that I was looking for

-
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 pm

ijosef wrote:I know many of us live within the greater metro area, so I was hoping I could get some feedback on your favorite gun stores. There are quite a few I haven't been to yet (Metro Pawn & Gun, Bill's Gun Shop, Koscielski's Guns & Ammo), but I get a few general impressions of a lot of these places.

I'd like to know what shops deal and allow you to haggle and which ones won't. For example, I was just at The Frontiersman, and their overall prices were pretty high. Most of their lever guns and shotguns were priced about right, but handguns and milsurp stuff was steep. For example, they wanted $395 for a run-of-the-mill Norinco SKS! :shock: The people there seemed very nice however, and I've been told by others that it's a decent place to buy from.

Gander Mountain's prices are also high, as are Joe's Sporting Goods. I never tried dickering at either place though. Cabela's in Rogers seemed to have some okay deals, and the Gun Stop in Minnetonka wasn't bad either.

What are your favorite shops for service and prices?

I wouldn't give up on Joe's yet. I have seen some good deals on handguns. From time to time they will place a few on sale to make room for new ones. Other than that they are high, still worth checking out a few times a year. They also have a great selection of sporting shotguns. I picked up a nice Beretta 686 sporting from Joes, at a fair price, they even threw in a Bretta vest. Service is great too, they have done a bit of gunsmith work for me as well. Always cheaper than expected.

My favorites are Metro Pawn, Frontiersman, and Gun Stop. I think the Gun stop has the best prices and service, but the others are willing to deal. This helps a lot! Metro had a nice 686 a while back, they droped the price $50 and threw in a box of ammo. I will say the deals have been few and far between this spring. I havn't even looked in weeks.
Sigfan220

Postby MNIceMan on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Follow the link.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby wrench on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Everybody's got an occasional good deal if you stop in often enough, I suppose.
Joes, very friendly, not a lot of handguns, an occasional good deal. Don't dicker much, in my experience.
Bills, very friendly, lots of guns, don't dicker much, prices on the high side.
Gunstop, very friendly, lots of guns and reloading supplies, generally fair prices, will haggle a bit.
Frontiersman, same as gunstop, except not so much reloading stuff.
JS Custom, not very friendly, snooty, high prices.
Gander Mountain, no help at all, but you won't need any, can't afford anything they have. Smoking crack on new and used gun prices.
Cabelas, the help is friendly if you can find it, generally high prices, but once in a while there's a deal to be found.
Metro Pawn, great guys there, they'll dicker, generally fair prices.
Wolfs den, not many guns, lots and lots of reloading.
Those are the ones I frequent the most, I like to look around. ;)
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Pat on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:21 pm

I've made a number of purchases from Bill's, both north and south. More often than not, I have been able to come to a price which worked for both sides.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Grandpa Rex on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I rarely buy new and with so many internet research options, you have to be a little clueless to pay too much for a new item if you are patient.

My main buys are used shooters rather than collectables, and everyone that sells used is open to dealing especially on stock that has been around a while. Do your research and you should have a good idea of what an item is worth.

I have had good experiences at Metro, Al's in White Bear Lake, Fronteersman, and the Gunstop. All were willing to do at least a little dealing.

I have bought from Bills but they were not open to any reductions, though the free range pass and rental makes up for it. Cabellas has even dealt on a used gun for me.

Lincoln Pawn on Central and on Rice have gotten a few bucks from me as well and they are always open to offers.

If you are looking at used items there are plenty of options and of course you want to pay attention to the deals from the great folks on this forum!

Stalking and killing the deals is the best part of the hunt!
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby tacticalninja32 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:04 pm

as far as just gun/related retail
Gunstop in Minnetonka is the best, they have great sense of humor, will haggle a bit since they have great prices to begin with, lot of selections on guns and reloads, not too much on accessories,
Bills(north and South) price is ok on new, once in awhile find something in used section with awesome price, will haggle a littlebit, great range, lots of accessories,
Frontiersman-very snooty, feel uncomfortable in there, feel like they are prejudice
JS customs- ok prices on used but won't budge much on new prices,
kowscilesky-small very small, in the hood, parking sucks, don't like to transfer gun elsewhere than place of purchase, don't like have to be buzz in and out, dark too
Als gun shop-kinda small, friendly staff, very clutter,
Pawnshops-
metro pawn- great staffs, very knowledgeable, haggle price little bit,
Lincoln-small selection, no handguns,
hunting/fishing big box stores-always comes with big box prices
Joes- fairly price, small selection on handguns,
gander-i work there and won't buy a new gun there, they mark up the price %300 and mark it @ %50 off(just an exaggeration of there price scheme) and still higher than wholesales,
dick's- there name said it all, it was way better when it was galyans,
trials end bass proshop-dicks dicks dicks
Capras- great prices, friendly staff,
Cabela's-better price than gander but still big box store with big box price
if you have an law enforcement/military/security ID i go to Streichers-few selections, best price glocks starts @395, M&P 450, lots of tactical gears, go check them out the 13th and 14th of August and you can buy a handgun w/o one of those id mentioned above once a year(Glockdays), striechers.com
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby Lastgunshop on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:36 pm

tacticalninja32 wrote:as far as just gun/related retail
Gunstop in Minnetonka is the best, they have great sense of humor, will haggle a bit since they have great prices to begin with, lot of selections on guns and reloads, not too much on accessories,
Bills(north and South) price is ok on new, once in awhile find something in used section with awesome price, will haggle a littlebit, great range, lots of accessories,
Frontiersman-very snooty, feel uncomfortable in there, feel like they are prejudice
JS customs- ok prices on used but won't budge much on new prices,
kowscilesky-small very small, in the hood, parking sucks, don't like to transfer gun elsewhere than place of purchase, don't like have to be buzz in and out, dark too
Als gun shop-kinda small, friendly staff, very clutter,
Pawnshops-
metro pawn- great staffs, very knowledgeable, haggle price little bit,
Lincoln-small selection, no handguns,
hunting/fishing big box stores-always comes with big box prices
Joes- fairly price, small selection on handguns,
gander-i work there and won't buy a new gun there, they mark up the price %300 and mark it @ %50 off(just an exaggeration of there price scheme) and still higher than wholesales,
dick's- there name said it all, it was way better when it was galyans,
trials end bass proshop-dicks dicks dicks
Capras- great prices, friendly staff,
Cabela's-better price than gander but still big box store with big box price
if you have an law enforcement/military/security ID i go to Streichers-few selections, best price glocks starts @395, M&P 450, lots of tactical gears, go check them out the 13th and 14th of August and you can buy a handgun w/o one of those id mentioned above once a year(Glockdays), striechers.com

First it's Koscielski's. Read the sign "Free Parking in the rear" yes you must be buzz in and out, that way noone will run out with a gun. Some have try but FAIL. As far as it being dark too, will we have all the lights on, so it must be the black people that you are seeing in my shop.
Lastgunshop

Postby Peaux-Boy on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Don't want to hijack/divert this thread, but it seems kinda related: How about recommendations on local shops for trade-in values?

And yes, I am aware it depends on a lot of factors and that private sale is usually better...but generally speaking...do any shops stand out as consistently "better"?
Peaux-Boy

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:27 am

Here's my take on a few places. I don't have any idea on haggling because I've never tried. I always shop around for the best price and purchase it at that price.

Gunstop: The best of the best in my opinion. Well worth the trip to Minnetonka. They have a huge inventory and the best prices I've found locally. The staff is helpful and actually seem genuinely interested in talking with you. I don't reload yet but they have the most reloading supplies of anywhere else. They have got plenty of business from me.

Frontiersmen: Always worth a stop. I usually stop there on my way home from Gunstop since it's almost sorta on the way for me. They have a good selection of milsurp rifles and hunting rifles. They have a decent amount of pistols too. Prices are pretty decent. I found an excellent deal on a Garand once but didn't have the money to buy it at the time.

Bill's Gun Shop: Most of my Bill's experience is with Bill's North. Many of the the Bill's North people recognize me when I come in. I shoot there almost exclusively and have bought from them multiple times. I get good service there and don't get treated like some punk kid who doesn't know what he's talking about. Prices can be a bit steep but they are better then some places.

Cabelas: It can be hard to get help behind the gun counter but when you do you generally get decent service. Big selections but prices aren't the best. Deals can be found if you look. Cabela's is better than most big box stores.

Gander Mountain: Generally a good selection especially for handguns but the prices tend to be atrocious. I go to the Blaine Gander pretty frequently since I work close but I never buy guns from there. I spend money on other things but only look at their guns due to the steep prices. The staff at the Blaine store is so-so. It depends on who you talk to. They have one guy who always asks if I need help and he'll even chat with me for a while. He knows his stuff too. Some of the other people never approach me or even step away from what they are doing to help anyone.

Capras: Good service and a good staff. They have gotten a better selection over the last year or so it seems. I bought a Remington 7400 from them 5 years ago and there was a sale going on at either Joe's or Dick's or somewhere (can't remember for sure) and we just mentioned the sale price and they price matched it for me without us having to even prove the price. I thought that was pretty cool of them. They have a pretty helpful staff. I like stopping in and supporting the local business.

Those are the places I have the most experience with.
FirearmFan

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:53 am

Lastgunshop wrote:First it's Koscielski's. Read the sign "Free Parking in the rear" yes you must be buzz in and out, that way noone will run out with a gun. Some have try but FAIL. As far as it being dark too, will we have all the lights on, so it must be the black people that you are seeing in my shop.

Condescension and racism in the same response! Wow! Great way to win his repeat business!
Stradawhovious

Postby Lastgunshop on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
Lastgunshop wrote:First it's Koscielski's. Read the sign "Free Parking in the rear" yes you must be buzz in and out, that way noone will run out with a gun. Some have try but FAIL. As far as it being dark too, well we have all the lights on, so it must be the black people that you are seeing in my shop.

Condescension and racism in the same response! Wow! Great way to win his repeat business!

You said it was to dark for you, and I have all the lights on in the shop, so you must think that when you were here that the blacks did not sit well with you.
Last edited by Lastgunshop on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lastgunshop

Postby Stradawhovious on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:06 am

If anyone is in the Isanti area, don't forget to stop by SHR sales. It's a little place in a strip mall, it doens't have the biggest selection, and it doesn't have the absolute lowest rock bottom prices I've ever seen, but it's a good atmosphere, and the owner/only employee is a nice guy that is respectful and easy to talk to.
Stradawhovious

Next

Return to General Gun Chat