Sig p238 is no good!

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Sig p238 is no good!

Postby gunshop guy on Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 pm

user842 wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:We've sold about 70 of that model (all numbered after the serial numbers involved in the safety notice)... and so far had one warranty issue (link pin problem). Other than that everyone has seemed pleased with the gun.

I would give their customer service another chance, Cerny. Take names if you can

gunshop guy wrote:I am not sure what is going on with Sig lately, but their customer service has fallen way off. It is nearly impossible to get anyone to answer the phone and they never call back (unless it is Natasha who handles RMA #'s for shipping). I have left messages on top of messages with no response. I like their guns as a whole but I am not impressed with how they handle their customers right now.

Don't you two work together?

We do, he's the boss. I agree with Joe that we have had very few issues with the 238, I was simply stating that I have not been impressed with response times on Customer service issues in general. Sig pistols as a whole are very well built and the customers seem to truly like them.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby mitchx3 on Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 pm

gunshop guy wrote:Sig pistols as a whole are very well built and the customers seem to truly like them.

"I just paid $[X] for this [premium product], of course I love it."
mitchx3

Postby cerny on Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Sounds like some of the dealers haven't seen so many of the problems with the 238. Some of the buyers might be dealing directly with Sig such as I did. Most dealers let you know that the warranty is handled thru the manufacturer not them. I have talked to two people that have had them and out of that two both needed service. Online there's a whole lot more. I wasn't always down on Sig. I used to be on a soapbox saying how great they are. That was before I needed to get a gun serviced. If they work they're great, if not good luck.
cerny

Postby diskdoctr on Fri May 21, 2010 5:38 am

Sig has always been top of the line stuff. I have had several of them over the years and never needed to deal with service, other than normal spring replacements that I could do. The 238 seems to be a problem child and Sig will do right by them. I am sure they are reviewing their design and or manufacturing processes to make them more typical of a Sig. Everyone wants high quality, but at a low price and the two are not always possible together. Sig just needs to find that spot where quality and affodability are closer to meeting. They will get there. I trust my life to Sig 229 regularly and would not hesitate to buy another Sig, although for me it would not be a 238. Just my .02
diskdoctr

Postby Bessy on Fri May 21, 2010 8:28 am

diskdoctr wrote: I have had several of them over the years and never needed to deal with service, other than normal spring replacements that I could do. The 238 seems to be a problem child and Sig will do right by them. I am sure they are reviewing their design and or manufacturing processes to make them more typical of a Sig. Everyone wants high quality, but at a low price and the two are not always possible together. Sig just needs to find that spot where quality and affodability are closer to meeting. They will get there. I trust my life to Sig 229 regularly and would not hesitate to buy another Sig, although for me it would not be a 238. Just my .02

Part of being a good manufacturer is backing up your product when it DOES fail. Not treating your customers like children, and listening to them when they have issues. The fact that all they had to do to ensure my customer loyalty was send me a part that costs them 5 dollars to manufacture, and they choose not to is an indicator how much they value their customers. The truly sad part is that a few years ago their customer service was excellent. I love my gsr, I've put more rounds through it then I can count, and it shoots great, but I won't do business with sig anymore, not when so many other companies out there have excellent customer service.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby diskdoctr on Fri May 21, 2010 9:24 am

Very good point Bessy... So far I have had no issues with my Sigs. I did call about an older one and wanted a spring kit. They sent it quickly and at no charge. But if that is not the way it usually is, I have to agree that I would go elsewhere for better service.
diskdoctr

Postby V Man on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Contact Diana Chapman @ diana.chapman@sigsauer.com. Diana is the Customer Service Manager and she will get you taken care of.
Everything you need to know to be successful in the military: Always have an Assault element,Support element and a Security element. Leadership Decisions: Will it accomplish the Mission? Is it morally and ethically correct? How will it affect your men?
V Man

Postby scorpio1155 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I wish I had read the reviews and done my homework before buying. In one afternoon, I held the Sig P238, the Kahr 380, Ruger LCP, the Micro Eagle, and the Taurus 380. Of all of them, I was most impressed with the look and feel of the Sig Sauer. I ended up purchasing the P238 Tactical Laser model. That was $742 including state tax. The purchase was Friday, June 11. Saturday, I headed out to the range with my elderly father. I shot the first magazine of 6 and was very pleased. I reloaded the magazine and handed the gun off to my dad. He pointed, pulled the trigger, and NOTHING. I thought maybe he wasn'tr pulling the trigger hard enough and asked him to try again. Still nothing. Then I said, why don't you recycle the safety. Still nothing. I removed the magazine and the round in the chamber and put the magazine back in. Then he shot 6 times with no problem. Weird... Then it was my turn again.... Nothing... The damned thing wouldn't fire even though there was a round in the chamber. After doing some online reading, it seems that maybe the round wasn't all the way in to the battery... Is that the correct terminology? I called Sig on Monday because of course they weren't open on a Saturday or Sunday. I was told that my new $700 pistol needed repair and they sent me a next day air label that was so poorly done, I had to use Photoshop to make it readable. I took time off from work so I could get it off to UPS yet that day. I was told that they would repair the pistol and get it back to me via 2nd Day FedEx. Oh boy! I'll have it by the weekend! W*R*O*N*G!!!! I called them back on Wednesday to check into the status and was told it would be another 3 to 4 weeks! WTF??? They were very unsympathetic when I explained that this was a brand-new $700 gun. Was told that they are short-handed because some of their gunsmiths had been called up to active duty in Afghanistan. I called the company that I purchased the gun from. Apparently they had some clout and got it expedited. The dealer called me back and told me that it was repaired today and would be coming back next week after the 4th of July holiday. Time will tell. Here are my experiences with the pistol to date:

Appearance: Excellent
Accuracy (the few times it fired): Outstanding
Quality out of the box: Poor It reminded me of the dreaded 'made in Japan' when I was a kid back in the 50's and 60's.
Customer Service: Rude... unhelpful

The overall experience will need to wait until the gun comes back. Was told it would be getting an upgraded extractor. I sincerely hope that it will be of the quality that I expected considering that I payed nearly double for - apparently - just the name. If not, I will have learned a valuable experience about doing homework before buying a new, shiny toy! I'll post again when it comes back and let everyone know how the repair went. Thanks!
scorpio1155

Postby yonse on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 am

I held a Sig P238 at a gun show a couple months ago and almost bought it. I really liked the feel of it but was looking for something for pocket carry and I decided not to when I realized that it doesn't have a decocker. I don't like the idea of carrying a single action gun in my pocket. I ended up with a Ruger LCP, which is great for pocket carry, but I think I may eventually get a Kahr MK9 as well.
You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Postby mc762x54R on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Well I'm glad I didn't trade my P232 for a P238 now.
My P232 has never malfunctioned, of course I have only fired about 100 rounds in it, since .380 is so expensive.

My Sig SP2009 has been flawless

The Mosquito..I won't go there...it works pretty good now after thousands of rounds and some polishing.

I emailed SIG a year ago and never got a response....
two years ago I did get prompt responses....???
mc762x54R

Previous

Return to Reviews