Slide glide? Gun panacea or yet another gimmic?

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Slide glide? Gun panacea or yet another gimmic?

Postby hammAR on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

timwarner wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:I've been told by more than one high end gunsmith that good lube serves two purposes, one obviously is lubrication but the second and actaully equally important it wicks contaminants away. To serve the second purpose the lube needs to leech out, thus I've been told not to use high temp grease because the contaminents stay on the parts and basically you creat rubbing compound. Instead they contend it is better to let the lube run out fo the joint and reapply fresh.

grease is good for loading machines, bad for guns. See my above post for more detail.

Good for collecting grit, dirt, and metal fragments too................... :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby JoeH on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Snowgun on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 am

Well I went buck wild with the Heavy sauce on everything, we'll see how it all shakes out.

timwarner wrote:That's how most of us get to using what we use now. Buy n try, not 100 pages of research threads.

Way to really hang it out there with the light stuff Tim. :lol:

I can't believe nobody has tried the heavy before...It's like the whole point of this stuff. I figure you might as well be using any other gun grease if you are doing the light. (of course, I'm extrapolating from the viscosity jump from the heavy to the standard that I bought).

I figure optimum is just viscous enough so your gun barely cycles. Expend all that energy out to non conservative forces. 8-)

I'll report back when my gun jams. :) ... :?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby mmcnx2 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 am

I used the term grease to refer to thick or heavy lube..sorry for the generic usage. But the point is still valid - lube that does not leech the dirt away basically creates buffing compound. So it is fine line about how much you want to lube dripping out verse sticking like glue.
mmcnx2

Postby Snowgun on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:I used the term grease to refer to thick or heavy lube..sorry for the generic usage. But the point is still valid - lube that does not leech the dirt away basically creates buffing compound. So it is fine line about how much you want to lube dripping out verse sticking like glue.

I get the buffing compound theory, and I'm sure (and have seen) a lithium (or other similar) grease would do that, but you should see this glide stuff, it's like a jelly that gets "stringy" when you mess with it a certain way. I see how it stays, but can't see how it would turn like that even with particulate. It's a different animal for sure, and I've never seen it's like.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby hammAR on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Snowgun wrote:............ but you should see this glide stuff, it's like a jelly that gets "stringy" when you mess with it a certain way..

DO NOT include pictures............ :roll:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Snowgun on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Well, I tried out the heavy on Brado's CZ last night (my HK is at the doctor, DA-itis), and it worked pretty good! It seemed to feel a little smother than the week before, but since I haven't had a lot of trigger time on that gun it's hard to compare...No problems though.

I'm excited for the saturday IDPA match to try out my 1911 with the heavy. Westberg showed me that some guys who worked on his infinity (?) slathered it on there, so I might go put even more on now... ;)

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Snowgun on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:08 pm

My 1911 ran well in this inferno like day today at beaverbrook with the glide. Recoil felt much more even throughout the cycle, like a even pulse, instead of the sharp ramp up at the end when the slide hits the frame...

It didn't really lessen the sensation of recoil or muzzle flip, but just averaged it out over the cycle more, if that makes any sense.

The glide remained in the general area, with a little leakage. Oil would have probably burned off in this heat. ;)

I still completely missed a bunch of targets today for some damn reason, I think it's because my 1911 is pissed i've been touching a CZ. Serves me right. :|

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 pm

I've had good luck with Magnalube, first tube was $5 shipped for .75 oz on special back in May.

http://www.armsvault.com/productreviews ... _aug10.asp

http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounc ... /edu94.htm
yuppiejr

Re: Atomized Bronze better?

Postby SIGP240 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I use atomized bronze just like Glock factory uses. No migration, minimal petroleum odor with high surface adhesion properties. Resistant to burning off or oxidizing. Technically, the soft metallic nature of bronze serves as "ball bearings" between the steel slide and the synthetic frame. The particle size is so microscopically small that even an attempt to remove it takes server passes with a cleaning rag. This is a readily purchased commodity and comes in a pressure bomb; my last can lasted me 41 years.
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Re: Atomized Bronze better?

Postby tman on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:15 am

SIGP240 wrote:I use atomized bronze just like Glock factory uses. No migration, minimal petroleum odor with high surface adhesion properties. Resistant to burning off or oxidizing. Technically, the soft metallic nature of bronze serves as "ball bearings" between the steel slide and the synthetic frame. The particle size is so microscopically small that even an attempt to remove it takes server passes with a cleaning rag. This is a readily purchased commodity and comes in a pressure bomb; my last can lasted me 41 years.

From where does one buy this?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Snowgun on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 am

So I'm resurrecting this thread because I wanted to give an update. The heavy glide has worked for me beautifully so far. Now that it is getting a little colder, it definitely feels more sluggish.

After the gun gets shot a little, it stays looser, more like a thin grease. However I just cleaned my gun and applied again liberally. We'll see if it chokes at burnsville tomorrow, since I don't know how long it will have to warm up.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Previous

Return to Reviews