A cheap carry knife

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

A cheap carry knife

Postby cobb on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

I have been carry a Kershaw 1605 Clash for several months now as one of my daily carry and grabbing it a bit more lately. Not an expensive knife by any means, basically down right cheap for a solid knife in the $30 range. For me in this price range I am more likely to use as a daily tool and not be as concerned if I damage or lose it. This is a liner-lock, some argue that a liner-lock is less solid than a lock-back, maybe, but I can see the engagement of a liner-lock and on some knives I can adjust, so a liner lock can work for me. Basically the Kershaw 1605 Clash is an economy knife that works for everyday choirs and should work in an ugly and personal situation. The pocket clip can be switched to a tip up carry which I much prefer for drawing and positioning the knife in my hand. There seems to be enough recessed area for the index finger to anchor in to keep the hand from slipping forward when a jab/thrust motion is made and hitting a solid surface. I think many overlook this, there needs to be a tang, index finger recess, or some feature that helps prevent the hand from sliding forward and over the blade when in a fight. One thing that really impresses me on my Kershaw 1605 Clash is the Kershaw Speed-Safe action, mine is so easy and fast, much easier to open than many others in my opinion.
Here are a couple links and reviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtppDkRZMno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmzNq4_glXY

So basically an inexpensive knife that can do dual duty.
A knife I can use daily as a tool when needed without a concern that I would have with a knife that is $10X more range.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: A cheap carry knife

Postby CUZICAN on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm

i've carried a kershaw clash daily for the past 9 months - i use it every day for opening boxes and anything else i needed to cut or pry. i can't be happier for the 21 bucks i spent - it's still tight, sharp and just like it was new - you can carry it tip down or tip up. i've had other knives in the 20 dollar range that wouldn't make a pimple on the clash's ass.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
CUZICAN

Postby Grappler on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 am

I carry a cheap S&W Tanto I bought from work on the cheap. Does everything I need it too, Boxes, zip ties, rubber hose, Rope, etc.
Only complaint is the screws that hold the clip down needed some loctite.
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CKTA ... B001FZH1QK
Grappler

Postby Exjay on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm

After breaking 3 cheapo kershaws ive given up on them.
Exjay

Postby cobb on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Exjay wrote:After breaking 3 cheapo kershaws ive given up on them.

You broke them how?
And the comparable knife brand and model that when doing the same and does not break is?

I am and I assume other are intersted, always good to know about a quality tool. :)
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby BBeckwith on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Based on this thread I ordered one off Amazon and got it today. I have to say for a cheaper knife it feels really solid. The blade deploys nice and is pretty sharp. The plastic feels a little cheap but looks like it will hold up to daily use.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby Exjay on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Ill admit I dont use them for their intened pourpose I.e. as a screw driver or a light duty pry bar ect. But when trying to get a car done its easier. My gerber has a thicker blade and has stood up for quite a while but its too bulky to carry & my zero rolerance(i think its made by kershaw) has worked wonderfully but it cost a tad bit more than $40. All my cheap kershaws either the tip has broken off or the blade has chipped.
Exjay

Postby stormhawk on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 am

image.jpg
I carry a Kershaw 1830 very similar to the 1605, Both knifes are a Ken Onion design. I am a big fan of the speed safe opening, I use this knife on a daily basis and has held up well and keeps edge nicely.I also carry in addition a K-bar TDI in the small size.
Growing old is enevitable, growing up is optional
Wifey just aint happy unless she smells kordite
Great let the wife shoot the Bersa ,now she wants one too, and a Kimber
stormhawk

Postby Muddy41 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Ken Onion knives are awesome....I have 7 different styles and carry my Blur and my Leek all the time...I also have a couple lower cost ones but not the one your are talking about...Will have to get one and try it out...One never has enough knives around to carry....Nice to change up once in awhile...
Muddy41

Postby msnden on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:55 am

Through out my working career I carried a knife, It was a tool I use almost daily, all I needed was a medium blade, & a Phillips & reg. screw drive, my knife of choice was one of the "Swiss Army" models, I am not sure how many I went through over the years, (not really that many), I did wear a couple out, lost more than a few, I tried the leather man type but could never get used to the belt holster, I still have a pretty good selection of knifes, mostly fixed blades, but if you want a knife that does it all, I would recommend one of these,

(they actually make these) Not mine, but I have one quite similar

msnden

Postby AFTERMATH on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

My current cheap carry is a 'Guidesman' I picked up from Menards for $3.50(on sale).... Should've bought more.
Blade is too soft to hold an edge very long, but so far has proven to be durable. Better than the $20 Gerber I had.
Just used it to cut through metal banding on a couple crates today. ;)
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby SSBotanyBay on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 am

"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby walt501 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am

I carried a Kershaw Blackout for years. Hunting in northern Minnesota a few years ago, I bagged a doe and headed back to camp only to find I didn't have my usual Buck knife for gutting. But my Kershaw was in my pocket like always and it got the job done, including splitting the rib cage. The next day I bagged a buck and used the same knife. I didn't even need to sharpen it.

Today I carry a Kershaw Blur every day. It's similar to the Blackout but all metal.

walt501

Postby ktech on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I've been carrying a CRKT M-16 for quite a while now - I happen to have the tanto blade version with serrations, but there are loads of options. They range from $25 to $75+ on Amazon, depending on the style, size and other features, but I really like it, and it's been a very solid knife, with the added benefit of the CRKT Auto-Lawk feature, which keeps the knife open - it's basically a lever-reinforced liner-lock... hard to explain, but it's a very nice feature.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Kn ... =crkt+m-16
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Inazone on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:My current cheap carry is a 'Guidesman' I picked up from Menards for $3.50(on sale).... Should've bought more.
Blade is too soft to hold an edge very long, but so far has proven to be durable. Better than the $20 Gerber I had.
Just used it to cut through metal banding on a couple crates today. ;)

My go-to work knife is a Guidesman folder, possibly the same model. It has about a 3" serrated blade (supposedly titanium coated) and holes in the grip. The same knife is sold with a Winchester logo for $15+ on Amazon and elsewhere.

As far as a true EDC knife, I usually carry either a Kershaw Vapor III, or Kershaw RJI if I want assisted opening.
Inazone

Next

Return to Reviews