OldmanFCSA reloading training

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

OldmanFCSA reloading training

Postby Snofish on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Today I had the privilege to take the reloading training offered by OldmanFCSA . I highly recommend him to others starting out that want to gain a solid foundation to safely build upon .

It is very tempting just to run out and buy a press/components, read a manual or two, watch a few youtube videos and go at it.
I did not do that. I did not load one round prior to meeting him.

After taking his class I feel that I can safely begin my reloading journey with confidence.
I plan on returning for future training once I gain some experience.

In todays society of "good old boys" clubs, arrogant elite, etc., It is reassuring to know that there are good folks out there like OldmanFCSA who take time out of their life and offer to help "strangers" asking nothing more than a donation to heat the shop and keep the lights on!

Thanks OldmanFCSA! :salute:
Snofish

Re: OldmanFCSA reloading training

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 am

Thank you for your positive review of my free reloading training. Its word-of-mouth public relations like this that helps to break the ice for others who have a desire to reload and not sure who to ask. They are afraid of sarcastic responses for possible dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one un-asked.
Now the hard questions, was my guard dog too aggressive towards you, did he give too many kisses, or demand too much attention, or howl at your brother for smoking outside?
I hope you didn't mind him practicing his whisper and catching.
Was your brother satisfied with his training, especially after i threw in all components for 308 loading? Did you have fun shooting your first reloads? Did they meet your expectations?
WHAT do you want to learn in your next training session?
My training does not follow a syllabus, its tailored to fit your needs. Sometimes I get off topic and cover areas that you will get to after some experimenting on your own.
Thanks again for the review. Remember to purchase quality equipment if you desire to have quality reloads, and use your brain = think before you act.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Snofish on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm

First off Murphy "T" was just a riot! Excellent reloading companion you have there...Guard dog, not likely- Living doorbell, absolutely! :lol:

Of course I thoroughly enjoyed shooting my first reloads!!- Don't you remember the look you gave me when I kept emptying magazines?!?!?!?--The whole time you were probably thinking "Geez 10 rounds is probably enough buddy"...

My brother was equally satisfied with the training session , and very happy he received bonus .308 components/training!!... even though he has one of those "POS FAL's" :stirthepot:

I hope you were just giving me a hard time when you said "I hate reloading .40"- because that is what I would be interested in next time . Perhaps you will have your top secret experimental prototype super duper .40 die perfected and patented, ready for a hands on demonstration. ;)
I am pretty sure my brother will bring components for his Evil Black Rifle(.223) next time.

Just to echo what myself and others have stated before me , I appreciate your contribution to this board and your willingness to help the new reloaders out so they may be safe and confident.

Thank you!
Snofish
Snofish

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:09 am

Snofish, Better hands, you could not be in! Doug is the "Real Deal" and gives from his heart. He started me almost a year ago, and still helps me figure out odd issues that arise. And, I get to puppy sit Mr. Murphy. He knows he as much at Home at the Big Dog Casa as he is at the Oldman Palace.
If you listen to Doug, you will learn to make the best ammo you can possibly make.

I am proud to have been one of his students, and even more proud that he is one of my Best Friends now. I know no finer man than OldmanFCSA, and that's from this Old Dog's Heart
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:26 am

Snofish,

Thank you for returning the "muffs".

Actually they belong to friend in Utah, who has my better pair. Mix up when packing up during a rain shower.
Another friend in Iowa is missing his nice Allen Wrenches, I make good use of them while he is using my spotting scope. Mix up during same rain shower at FCSA 50BMG World Match last year.
We connect via our FCSA Forum trying to figure out who's got what.
We will meet early next Spring and TRY to get things back where they belong ............. Sometimes it takes years.

Thanks again,

OldmanFCSA = Doug
OldmanFCSA

Postby captnviper on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:47 am

Doug did not make me feel stupid or inferior for being new to loading and freely offered his knowledge as years of experience. Thank you Doug.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Thank you for the review of your reloading class experience.

So, how do you like reloads now?

Is it safe to shoot someone's reloads? ...... Like yours?

Always label your reloads with all pertinent data, memory is not a good way to operate.
And IF you are offered a bag of reloads from a competent reloader, check his data.
IF no data exists, do not accept. IF data exists, check it against multiple sources before shooting.

So, did you shoot any of the 300 grain cast loads?

I like the 44RemMag cartridge, powerful yet manageable.
Looking forward to helping you and your sons in your next reloading adventure.
OldmanFCSA

Postby captnviper on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:33 pm

I have not shot any as of yet. I wanted to make a few loads of my own to bring with and have been perfecting my use of the lee auto disk as its chart was not accurate, and I noticed how you throw the load can change it a bit. So I been playing with different disks and writing down the numbers I come up with after 10-15 throws.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:39 pm

captnviper wrote:I have not shot any as of yet. I wanted to make a few loads of my own to bring with and have been perfecting my use of the lee auto disk as its chart was not accurate, and I noticed how you throw the load can change it a bit. So I been playing with different disks and writing down the numbers I come up with after 10-15 throws.

If you are referring to the Powder (Type) - Disc (size) referrence chart in the back of the Lee Manual, I have found them to be "off" approximately One number in nearly ALL of my loads. I'm not currently able to see or give EXACT number (disc size) - Grain (powder weight) examples, so these are general examples, and your results may differ. But my experience has shown that if the Chart indicated you would use a .41 disc to dump a 4.3 gr charge of Bullseye, my drop would only be about 4.0gr. I have found that if the chart calls for a .41 disc, I need to move up to the next larger hole (cannot remember exact order of hole sizes (volume in cc's) to get the 4.3gr I was originally looking for. Oddly, this has held true with Power Pistol, Bullseye, and most other powfers I have thrown through the Auto Disk. It has even held true when I used a large charge such as a Double Disk charge while loading .223.
I have found that the Pro-Auto Disk measures I have, are very consistent (I have 5). I have also observed that so far, it has held consistent from powder "Lot" to "Lot". I don't know whether it is a Barometric Pressure, altitude, or simply bulk differences from my supplies and location, compared to wherever Lee did their calculations.

As just a side note, the first Pro-Auto Disk Measure and Disc's were sprayed with a Dry Graphite lubfricant ( I think it's called Blaster from Home Depot) hoping to help cut down on static charges. I found that it only made it hard to see inside the powder hopper when checking my powder level. So, as I received new setups, I have changed to only coating the very bottom of the hopper, the actual "drop tube" and also the discs with the graphite ( very light coating). I also designed and make Baffles (RCBS and others manufacture them) that I put in my hopper before I fill it with powder. I firmly believe that the combination of the graphite and the baffles, help me get extremely consistent powder distribution. While loading, I also sit in a position that allows me to visually see EVERY single powder charge in every case, before I place and seat the bullet.

I am located in Edina, and after I have recovered from this surgery, and I'm back at home, you are more than welcome to come by and I'll show you exactly, what I have and how it is setup (this goes for any other forum member as well).

I hope this helped a little,

Jim

When I'm loading pistol ammo on either my Classic Turret or my Loadmaster, I still check and verify loads (charges, dumps etc) at random points of my loading. Usually ranging from every 10-20 rounds to as many as 50 rounds and they have never varied more than 0.1 gr usually .1 lower, if any deviation at all. I did do a 100 round continuous check (checked every round) and found that I only had 7 rounds out of 100 that varied. They all varied .1gr low. This was while loading 9mm 115gr with Bullseye powder. I had a nearly identical variation while checking a 40 S&W loading using Power Pistol.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby CarRacer on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I received some training yesterday. I learned a ton about the hows and whys for loading up rifle rounds. Even though I have loaded up pistol rounds before, it was invaluable to be able to bounce questions off of Doug and benefit from his years of experience. I was able to learn new techniques for loading and get some better ideas on what equipment to use as well.

I also got to see one of his 50 BMG target rifles and that thing was bonkers. Thanks again for having me out and I highly recommend others take him up on his generous offer.
CarRacer

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for coming out for training and for the huge favor of bringing me a piece of equipment = saved me many miles.

This was the first time I had a class from around 6PM until Midnight, glad it fit your schedule.
With my severe lack of sleep lately from previous two nights, it caused me to sleep very well after going to bed early morning, and again about noon, and again falling asleep during wife's holiday movie.

I talked about a lot of topics hoping I did not miss anything, and stressing on the safety aspect. With your prior knowledge of reloading for smaller cartridges, and the good safety practices you demonstrated, I was able to cover target shooting practices also.

Any questions, be sure to contact me, I will help where I can.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Reviews