Browning Hi-Power 9mm Question..

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Browning Hi-Power 9mm Question..

Postby VikesFan1 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks HammAR. I didn't think it was a big deal... these guns being as popular as they are and all.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby jac714 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm

I just spent a few minutes looking at my HP and I can assure you there is no beavertail on that thing. You are thinking 1911 Gunny, the HP does not have a beavertail.

One issue with the HP is the magazine disconnect, it can (and often does) cause a gritty trigger with a good bit of creep, make sure you try the trigger a few times before buying.

Good Luck
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Widge on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 am

VikesFan1 wrote:Thanks HammAR. I didn't think it was a big deal... these guns being as popular as they are and all.

You can always buy another hammer and bob it a tad to eliminate any 'bite'.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby 1911fan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:01 am

But Gunny, I think the HP's with the ducktail, (its not big enough to call it a beavertail.) look and feel great. I am tempted to send my inglis out and have it work on at C&S. its a parts gun, so who cares what they do to it...
1911fan

Postby hammAR on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:29 am

jac714 wrote:I just spent a few minutes looking at my HP and I can assure you there is no beavertail on that thing. You are thinking 1911 Gunny, the HP does not have a beavertail.

Chief, I'm not that senile yet and I didn't have to look at a couple of my HP's to know that none have a beavertail or ducktail....However, I was responding to the following suggestion that he weld a beavertail onto an HP.......

The best solution to hammer bite from a HP is either a trip to Cylinder and Slide or to buy one of Bill's pre prepped commander style ring hammer's and sear's or for a few hundred, have him weld up the beavertail.....
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby gunnerbmg on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 am

They are good guns. If you want a better trigger just remove the mag disconect and it will make a BIG differance. They are classic and easy to shoot.
"arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden times" Winston Churchill
gunnerbmg

Postby David on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:23 pm

I absolutely love my High Power. When did U.S.-bound models start being assembled in Portugal? Was it as early as 1980? I heard (but do not know) that the Portugal-assembled ones are better than the Argentina-assembled ones, particularly when it comes to fit, finish, and trigger. Mine is a mint-condition Belgian model from 1958, and I got it for $350! Best deal I ever got on a gun. I can't imagine not being happy with a nice High Power. Style, function, history--it's got everything!

Oh, while I was poking around looking for info, I ran across this gem on GunBroker:

"BROWNING HIGH POWER, MADE IN BELGIUM ASSEMBLED IN PORTUGAL, HAS TWO CLIPS 9M AND 40 SMITH AND WESSON, APPARENTLY THE BARREL WILL CHAMBER AND FIRE BOTH"

Man, I love the Internets!
David

Postby Ironbear on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:52 am

David Slam wrote:"BROWNING HIGH POWER, MADE IN BELGIUM ASSEMBLED IN PORTUGAL, HAS TWO CLIPS 9M AND 40 SMITH AND WESSON, APPARENTLY THE BARREL WILL CHAMBER AND FIRE BOTH"

Man, I love the Internets!

Don't do it! :D The SAAMI website lists trying to shoot .40 S&W in a 9mm handgun as an UNSAFE COMBINATION!

Really? :shock:

http://www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby VikesFan1 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. :D

I looked at the gun again and now see how hammer bite IS possible, but I think you'd have to be pretty.. lazy(?).. for it to happen. Either way, it's not an issue.

Everything else measures up however, it does have a considerable amount of trigger creep. I pointed it out and asked if the price was negotiable, citing that although I could get used to it, or have it fixed, it still affects the value of the gun. The Manager said to check back at the end of the month and they'd be willing to deal if it's still available. They've had it for 2.5 months already... I'm checking back but I have decided I'm not paying over $600 for it, so we'll see. One of the guys already told me they have about $350-$4 into it..

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby monschman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Just got to see the new baby jesse, she shore do look real purty, post some pics so everyone can ooh and aahh
monschman

Postby VikesFan1 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. I was meant to have this gun because I started this thread a month ago and tonight I came home with this:

ImageImage

The writing says, "BROWNING ARMS COMPANY MORGAN, UTAH & MONTREAL P.Q." on one side, and, "MADE IN BELGIUM BY FABRIQUE NATIONALE HERSTAL" on the other.

Monschman was kind enough to help confirm the rifling in the barrel is crisp and in good shape. And what I mistakenly reported earlier as being trigger-creep was actually the take-up (before the click). It has no trigger creep. ...I'm surprised someone at Gander didn't correct me on this during our "negotiation" (until after I purchased it and showed it to the Gunsmith- he set me straight).

I went straight from the store to B-ville Range to see what she had. Overall, I'm happy with this gun. My experience with "new" pistols accuracy has been hit-or-miss, and this one passes muster.. for me anyway. The grip is slender for being a hi-cap magazine. This was important, as one of my beefs is the girthy grips that a lot of the hi-cap guns have. While shooting I didn't I experience any 'hammer-bite', or even a nibble or a sniff. I stand by what I said earlier about being lazy for this to happen.

My first magazine from my second box of shells experienced one failure-to-feed and one stove-pipe. I was using cheap Remington 9mm loads so finding out what works best in this gun is my next mission. If changing the ammo doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to exercise my 12-month warranty at Gander and see if there's anything they can do about it. I'm also going to clean it in the meantime because who know's... At this point I ended my session satisfied with my results, and my purchase. Two scans of my targets:

Random, shaky-hangover shots at 15':

5 shaky-hangover shots @ 25':

My shots seem to be going a little left of center. I need to figure out if this is me or the gun? If someone is willing to meet at B-ville with one of those handgun vices I am more than happy pay your admission for the day. I'll even get you something from the overpriced soda machine. I would like to "accurize" this gun if possible.

Thakns again for all the help. :rock:
Last edited by VikesFan1 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby Belgiboy on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Vikesfan1, that is an awesome gun, congrats.

I had FTFs on my HP too, and the solution turned out to be new magazines. I bought 2 Mecgars and never had any problems again. You seem to have nice magazines with buttplates so maybe look into magazine springs, or really deep cleaning them may do the trick too. Just my $0.02.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby hammAR on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:40 pm

VikesFan1 wrote:My shots seem to be going a little left of center......

...well it is a Belgian gun........

Congratulations...great choice and nice looking besides........JMB would be proud!
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 am

I can't think of a better was to celebrate my 200th post...

Belgiboy and HammAR, thank you gentlemen for the encouragement. Nothing beats making an informed decision like the help I got here. :rock:

Monschman, you picked up a nice addition yourself. What I want to know is, when are we going to hear about that?? :D

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby VikesFan1 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Belgiboy, the mag it came with says, "KRD" and holds 17 rounds. I just found another one for $29.99, shipping included. Is that a good deal? It's a Browning pre-'94/pre-ban 13 round factory mag in excellent condition with no damage or modifications.

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews