White Oak Armament, still nothing after 7 months...

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Postby Collector1337420 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 pm

So, with Erud's good advice, I decided to buy a service rifle upper with a carry handle.

Upper:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/p ... ctid=17841

Carry handle:

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/p ... ctid=17880

I'm assuming I'll be thrilled when I get it. I even picked up some Hornady 75gr BTHP .223 the other day I managed to find, however... that is if I ever get the upper at all.

I placed my order on Dec. 3rd. with a 18-20 week wait. It's now the 4th of July, and needless to say, I'm very, very pissed off.

I already paid the $900+ for it back in early February and I'm starting to feel ripped off. Obviously, there's been all the panic, which hasn't helped any, but over 7 months now? Really?

I've called about 3 times over the months. The last time being over a month ago. All 3 times it's been the same response, which goes something like this...

Supposedly, my upper is 100% completed, and is not the problem. It's just sitting around waiting to be shipped. Since it's a flattop, the problem is apparently with the carry handle. Allegedly, they are STILL waiting for forgings to complete it. I think she said it has something to do with the rear sight, and since it's for competition (and therefore high quality) they only get their forgings from one place and do everything else in house.

So apparently, the panic has affected forgings for a carry handle rear sight? Really?

This just seems really weird to me. Could a National Match carry handle from WOA really be that awesome it takes months and months? It seems rather odd. And if you go to their website and look at the carry handle, it says "4-6 week" wait time. Their uppers are so swamped, they aren't even taking orders anymore.

So, my problem, is if my upper is done, but their website says nothing about carry handles being a problem, then what the hell is going on?

It's been over a month since I've called to check the status. She is usually really nice, but the last time it was obvious she was annoyed by people calling to check on their orders. When I told her what my order was, she's like, "Oh, you're one of those old orders for a flattop... blah blah" and going into how the upper is done, but they are waiting for forgings for the carry handle. I'd call again, but every time it's the same BS. Summer is going to be over before I get an upper I ordered early December for Christ's sake.

I'm not quite sure what kind of response I'm looking for. I guess I'm just really frustrated and need to vent.

Any wisdom or consoling words are appreciated.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Re: White Oak Armament, still nothing after 7 months...

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm pretty sure you could sell it.
Consider yourself fortunate you ordered when you did; 6, 7 or 8 mos is better than:
We have received an extremely high volume of orders in the past 6 months. In order to work through the backlog in the shop and get our lead time back to a reasonable timeframe we are not accepting new orders for service rifle uppers.
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=259
That said, I do feel your pain.
Be patient, and wait for the big brown truck
.....or you could sell it... ;)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Collector1337420 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:15 pm

xd ED wrote:I'm pretty sure you could sell it.
Consider yourself fortunate you ordered when you did; 6, 7 or 8 mos is better than:
We have received an extremely high volume of orders in the past 6 months. In order to work through the backlog in the shop and get our lead time back to a reasonable timeframe we are not accepting new orders for service rifle uppers.
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/home.php?cat=259
That said, I do feel your pain.
Be patient, and wait for the big brown truck
.....or you could sell it... ;)

If I sold it... it would be for triple! Ha!

My gripe is that they say my upper is done... it's the National Match pinned carry handle that's taking over 7 months and counting. Which seems strange.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby Ron Burgundy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Call their bluff. Demand they ship the handle seperate after they are done forging it out of unicorn tears and unobtainium.
Ron Burgundy

Postby highwarden on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 am

Please post when you receive yours. I ordered an A2 service rifle competition upper on December 30. I won't bother looking for mine till after you get yours.
highwarden

Postby grousemaster on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:06 am

Why is that carry handle $230?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Erud on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm

grousemaster wrote:Why is that carry handle $230?

There's a few reasons, actually. It's purpose-built for Highpower competition, so there are some differences from a standard detachable carry handle. First, it's one of a very few on the market that can actually reach 600 yards + from a 100 yard zero without having to move the front post. 2nd, it has the best interchangeable hooded aperture system available for a Service Rifle and includes 3 hoods. 3rd, the sight is double pinned, which means that it has 2 posts that it slides vertically on, so it tracks straight up and down all of the way from top to bottom. This also ensures that the aperture is always square with your eye, unlike most commercial rear sights where it will always be slightly canted due to the spring holding it in place. In HP, the X-ring on the 600 yard target is only a 6 inch circle, so being accurate and repeatable is crucial. Regular rear sights from the big manufacturers can't keep up. For this type of shooting, it is absolutely worth the extra $ up front to get the best. If you are only going to be plinking/blasting or generally just shooting for fun, you will not notice the differences.

Collector,
I feel bad about this as you ordered it on my recommendation. WOA is a pretty small shop and even during normal times they have pretty long lead times. The little guys got hit even harder by the recent craziness, as upping production to meet temporary demand can be a pretty risky venture. I have a buddy that ordered an A2 upper from them in late October and is still waiting also. Long waits like this really suck, but I assure you that they WILL get it to you and it WILL be worth the wait. If you aren't planning on using the sights right away I'd have to guess that they'd probably send you the upper without it so you could shoot it with a scope or whatever. If they do that I have a regular rear sight(not WOA) I'd loan you until they come through with the handle. I'm always willing to help out new HP shooters, so if you are desperate to get out to a Highpower match, shoot me a PM and I will loan you my WOA A2. Krieger barrel, pinned sight, weighted fore end, etc. I legged out with it in 2010 and haven't really shot it much since then as I switched over to shooting a Match Rifle. It was still shooting good scores at 600 then, and I have no reason to think it'd be any different now. You supply your own ammo and return it in the same condition when yours arrives. It does have some sentimental value to me, so I'd need your word as an upstanding American that you will get it back to me. Lemme know if you want to take me up on it.....

Regards,
Erik
Erud

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:Call their bluff. Demand they ship the handle seperate after they are done forging it out of unicorn tears and unobtainium.

I thought about doing that, but they'll no doubt try and charge me extra shipping.

Thanks for lightening the mood though. Unicorn tears and unobtainium pretty much sums up my thoughts also.

Collector1337420

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:51 pm

highwarden wrote:Please post when you receive yours. I ordered an A2 service rifle competition upper on December 30. I won't bother looking for mine till after you get yours.

Sure thing. I was planning on doing a big post with pictures.

I still need to work on my color fill I'm procrastinating on since I have to do a white undercoat, but I don't feel like assembling my lower without having the upper first.

Collector1337420

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Erud wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Why is that carry handle $230?

There's a few reasons, actually. It's purpose-built for Highpower competition, so there are some differences from a standard detachable carry handle. First, it's one of a very few on the market that can actually reach 600 yards + from a 100 yard zero without having to move the front post. 2nd, it has the best interchangeable hooded aperture system available for a Service Rifle and includes 3 hoods. 3rd, the sight is double pinned, which means that it has 2 posts that it slides vertically on, so it tracks straight up and down all of the way from top to bottom. This also ensures that the aperture is always square with your eye, unlike most commercial rear sights where it will always be slightly canted due to the spring holding it in place. In HP, the X-ring on the 600 yard target is only a 6 inch circle, so being accurate and repeatable is crucial. Regular rear sights from the big manufacturers can't keep up. For this type of shooting, it is absolutely worth the extra $ up front to get the best. If you are only going to be plinking/blasting or generally just shooting for fun, you will not notice the differences.

Yup, all of this.

Erud wrote:Collector,
I feel bad about this as you ordered it on my recommendation. WOA is a pretty small shop and even during normal times they have pretty long lead times. The little guys got hit even harder by the recent craziness, as upping production to meet temporary demand can be a pretty risky venture. I have a buddy that ordered an A2 upper from them in late October and is still waiting also. Long waits like this really suck, but I assure you that they WILL get it to you and it WILL be worth the wait. If you aren't planning on using the sights right away I'd have to guess that they'd probably send you the upper without it so you could shoot it with a scope or whatever. If they do that I have a regular rear sight(not WOA) I'd loan you until they come through with the handle. I'm always willing to help out new HP shooters, so if you are desperate to get out to a Highpower match, shoot me a PM and I will loan you my WOA A2. Krieger barrel, pinned sight, weighted fore end, etc. I legged out with it in 2010 and haven't really shot it much since then as I switched over to shooting a Match Rifle. It was still shooting good scores at 600 then, and I have no reason to think it'd be any different now. You supply your own ammo and return it in the same condition when yours arrives. It does have some sentimental value to me, so I'd need your word as an upstanding American that you will get it back to me. Lemme know if you want to take me up on it.....

Regards,
Erik

No need to feel bad, it's obviously out of your control, and apparently WOA's as well. If you say you know someone who ordered in October, then I makes sense why I'm still waiting. I guess I should be happy that they claim the upper is done and it's only the carry handle I'm waiting on.

Rest assured, you'll be the first I tell when I get it. Maybe not right away, but I'm definitely going to need to test my skills on a 400-600 yard range when I get comfortable with it. I have enough to do this Summer, so I don't need it urgently. I guess I'm just excited about it and thought it'd be here by now.

In the mean time... stock up on 75gr ammo?

I found some for $25 a box, but that's not a very good price.

Collector1337420

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Collector1337420 wrote:
In the mean time... stock up on 75gr ammo?

I found some for $25 a box, but that's not a very good price.

Surplus Ammo has some better prices, and in stock as of 1800 Friday.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm

What about the Lake City 77 grain stuff for $1 a pop: http://www.surplusammo.com/5-56-77-grai ... 50-rounds/ ?

Otherwise the Hornady 75 grain SuperPerformance seems solid for $18 a box: http://www.surplusammo.com/5-56-75-grai ... 20-rounds/
yuppiejr

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 pm

yuppiejr wrote:What about the Lake City 77 grain stuff for $1 a pop: http://www.surplusammo.com/5-56-77-grai ... 50-rounds/ ?

Otherwise the Hornady 75 grain SuperPerformance seems solid for $18 a box: http://www.surplusammo.com/5-56-75-grai ... 20-rounds/

The first is OOS; ordered some from the second link 15 min ago.

Looks good, but it's kind of a pig in a poke for me right now.
I figured I'd buy it 'cause I could.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Don't know if you guys reload or not, but if so, Powder Valley just put a bunch of 77 grain .223 blems up on their web page for $74/500. They aren't saying which manufacturer's bullets they are, but with the weights and calibers listed, they'd almost have to be either Nosler or Sierra. Pretty good price for either one. I've shot a lot of Sierra blems for practice and club matches and have never seen anything more serious than discoloration and water spots on them, they always shoot good. I've heard similar reports on Nosler blems, but have no first-hand experience.
Erud

Postby Collector1337420 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the tips on the ammo guys.

So... I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but... I just started this post on the 4th of July complaining about waiting so long...

I open my email today, to reveal a UPS tracking number, which wasn't unexpected because I just ordered something from Primary Arms. However, when I looked closer, turns out it's actually from WOA!

Of course, no sooner as I start complaining, it ships. If only it was always that easy.

Looks like I'll actually need to decide what lower I'm going to use now.

Mega or Spikes. Decisions, decisions...

Collector1337420

Next

Return to Reviews