Matts Firearms lower receiver group purchase

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Matts Firearms lower receiver group purchase

Postby tabberski on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:42 am

Get your bank or credit card company involved if you used a card. They might be able to do a reversal and go after Matt for you. Hopefully you have your receipt. I know of at least one person on the group buy that has already done that.

Communication is everything.

:angryvillagers:
tabberski

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 am

FJ540 wrote:I'm just the messenger here. What Matt did is pretty bad, and worthy of scorn. He also invited me to occupy his table at a MWCA show for free to help try to sell STD's, and anything else I wanted to move for the two days for free (never even hinted at asking for help with the table rent). I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to get both sides of the isle on the same page, because I think that needs to happen for any of this mess to be resolved without more butthurt.

As always, your presence/involvement is a huge asset to the community and having heard the story from some folks who are effected am glad on their behalf to hear something positive offered.

Once upon a time when I first started buying/selling stuff on the internet (computer parts mainly) via forums I became fascinated by following the threads involving trolls/scammers who would usually get caught/outed by the community <Trollhunters, etc..> but the stream of excuses & explanations followed a pretty similar pattern as this whole deal. I expect we're not over the hump quite yet...

Matt has presumably had inventory on-hand the whole time including the moment he "discovered" his error. I don't buy his story, at all. Why didn't he respond RIGHT AWAY when people started looking for their money months ago and make this "generous" offer? If Matt doesn't have cash on hand to offer cash refunds it's easy enough to motor down to any local gun shop and sell a chunk of his inventory to raise the cash required (yes, taking a loss stings, but so does having the police/ATF or IRS confiscate your inventory and/or personal assets as evidence). I'd stick to the same advice I gave earlier, Matt admits he has assets on hand to either supply in lieu of cash or can be liquidated (today if necessary) for cash to resolve this whole issue by this weekend. If it wasn't solved by this weekend, I'd be turning it over to law enforcement.

I don't run a small business because I suck at small details... I appreciate those who do so successfully, it's a huge pain in the ass and in many cases small businesses are as much a labor of love as they are a source of significant profit for those involved. If someone in a highly paperwork intensive business like selling firearms can't even keep their basic books straight I would suggest liquidating what assets remain and getting out of the business before further mistakes result in jail time or seizure of assets beyond the scope of the business that ruins their life.
yuppiejr

Postby rugersol on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 am

FJ540 wrote:Here's the resolution he's suggested: He can give you your money paid against a gun he has in stock, for credit to buy the new weapon for his cost, and he'll cover the sales tax. That's wholesale, less tax, to try to "fix" the mistake. If he has something you want, this is the cheapest you're likely to get it, ever.

... I got no dog in this fight ...

FWIW, I see one more possible variation of his "suggested resolution" ... ultimately, the point is, to get these folks their cash back, no?! ... and he's offering that cash by way of credit towards his inventory ... well, if anyone else (say, members of this forum ;) ) was to get the same deal, they could either buy one of his guns outright, or make a non-refundable deposit against one, and he'd immediately have cash to pay folks back ... from his perspective, there's zero difference!

The odds of one of the folks involved, bein seriously interested in something else in his inventory, are not nearly as high, as when ya open that up to several dozen more folks!

... jest sayin!

... moreover, this Saturday appears to be fairly uneventful ... and I'm guessin' he's got the FFL where he's gotta do the transfer at his house? ... perhaps someone here could PM directions to interested forum members ... and he could have a little mini-show at his house?! ... so long as more than a few folks can make it, and his inventory is that big, I'd guess this whole thing'd be over by Sunday! ... jest sayin!

... 'course, a preview of that inventory, might be warranted ... regardless!

:picsneeded:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby goett047 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 am

Glad I decided against this. ..
goett047

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 am

Wait a minute, wasn't the MWCA State Fair sale like 2 months ago (April) which is after the "mistake" was discovered and people were looking for their money? I am going out on a limb and going to assume he may have sold a gun or two at the show, why weren't the folks out on the limb in this deal taken care of at that moment when cash was in hand?
yuppiejr

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 am

rugersol wrote:
FJ540 wrote:Here's the resolution he's suggested: He can give you your money paid against a gun he has in stock, for credit to buy the new weapon for his cost, and he'll cover the sales tax. That's wholesale, less tax, to try to "fix" the mistake. If he has something you want, this is the cheapest you're likely to get it, ever.

... I got no dog in this fight ...

FWIW, I see one more possible variation of his "suggested resolution" ... ultimately, the point is, to get these folks their cash back, no?! ... and he's offering that cash by way of credit towards his inventory ... well, if anyone else (say, members of this forum ;) ) was to get the same deal, they could either buy one of his guns outright, or make a non-refundable deposit against one, and he'd immediately have cash to pay folks back ... from his perspective, there's zero difference!

The odds of one of the folks involved, bein seriously interested in something else in his inventory, are not nearly as high, as when ya open that up to several dozen more folks!

... jest sayin!

... moreover, this Saturday appears to be fairly uneventful ... and I'm guessin' he's got the FFL where he's gotta do the transfer at his house? ... perhaps someone here could PM directions to interested forum members ... and he could have a little mini-show at his house?! ... so long as more than a few folks can make it, and his inventory is that big, I'd guess this whole thing'd be over by Sunday! ... jest sayin!

... 'course, a preview of that inventory, might be warranted ... regardless!

:picsneeded:

Good post.

Among the more positive resolutions I intend to offer to Matt would be a credit towards something he has on hand(or would order on his dime).

Again, I'm ....I'll just say 'confused'...as to why he hasn't taken the initiative on such a proposal... if in fact he is trying to be in the business of selling guns, etc.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby tabberski on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:01 am

I suspect we were all silent investors in his business at least that's the way it appears to me. matt said he would give me a refund but that was a few weeks ago. He said he didn't have the money to return to me yet at that time
tabberski

Postby grousemaster on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 am

If it were me in his position, I'd be selling my personal belongings and/or taking out cash advances on credit cards to get people reimbursed ASAP. I know Matt is a nice guy and wants to make it right.....I'd be pissed off to though if I paid for a lower.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am

He can't post it here, he's banned and has been for some time. I haven't followed any of the NFA situation, since I backed out when the lead time grew to "at some point before the end of time" for the first GB. I was originally in it for 3 lowers. When I read this thread, I thought maybe I could facilitate something to get folks righted. Getting jacked on a bad deal is exactly why I can't use Paypal right now, so I do know what you guys are dealing with - I'm out $650 from that one, and they confiscated money I'd spent on tooling and fixtures for STD's so now I don't have those or the funds to buy them elsewhere.

I can also tell you he didn't sell any of his inventory at that MWCA show (he lost money on the whole ordeal). He sold a lot of OldmanFCSA's ammo (which he picked up and delivered back for free - taking no commission as Oldman also has lots of medical bills he's struggling with and Matt was trying to help), and some consignment guns for other folks, but I spent all Sunday at the table with him and what moved wasn't for cash, or wasn't his: I made more than he did, and I didn't really feel I came away with a worth while haul either. He ended up with some .22's and a bow in a trade for his Dad's shotgun (or something - it wasn't new).

His inventory is on FB in the gun trader groups for near cost right now trying to move it (what he told me last night - I haven't looked at any of his listings). He said he was going to be posting it up on Armslist today as well (which does seem late to the game to me). I mentioned the idea of having a sales event and see if that can work. No reply yet on that one.

I want you guys to get your stuff or your money back. That's why I'm doing this. Roasting the guy alive might feel good, but could burn other MGT'ers in the process. The whole situation is damning on Matt - If it was me, I'd call every friend I had trying to scare up the funds to make it right, right now, assuming I couldn't get it out of a secured loan from the bank. If something like this were to bite me, I wouldn't be able to fix it right now either, so I guess I have some empathy for the guy. It reminds me of how I was bad about money management in my late teens/early 20's; I'd spend it on the card, then spend it out of my account come payday and not have anything for the bill when it showed up. :oops: Didn't take too long for that to bite me in the azz either. Approaching 40 now, that'd be rather embarrassing, yet our Gov't does it every year. :evil:

It's not justification. It's not excusable. It is what's being presented as the reason you guys are out - and it's something that should/will haunt Matt for some time to come. In the meantime, lets try to fix the problem folks still have with the man so we can all move forward.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:56 am

FJ540 wrote:He can't post it here, he's banned and has been for some time. I haven't followed any of the NFA situation, since I backed out when the lead time grew to "at some point before the end of time" for the first GB. I was originally in it for 3 lowers. When I read this thread, I thought maybe I could facilitate something to get folks righted. Getting jacked on a bad deal is exactly why I can't use Paypal right now, so I do know what you guys are dealing with - I'm out $650 from that one, and they confiscated money I'd spent on tooling and fixtures for STD's so now I don't have those or the funds to buy them elsewhere.

I can also tell you he didn't sell any of his inventory at that MWCA show (he lost money on the whole ordeal). He sold a lot of OldmanFCSA's ammo (which he picked up and delivered back for free - taking no commission as Oldman also has lots of medical bills he's struggling with and Matt was trying to help), and some consignment guns for other folks, but I spent all Sunday at the table with him and what moved wasn't for cash, or wasn't his: I made more than he did, and I didn't really feel I came away with a worth while haul either. He ended up with some .22's and a bow in a trade for his Dad's shotgun (or something - it wasn't new).

His inventory is on FB in the gun trader groups for near cost right now trying to move it (what he told me last night - I haven't looked at any of his listings). He said he was going to be posting it up on Armslist today as well (which does seem late to the game to me). I mentioned the idea of having a sales event and see if that can work. No reply yet on that one.

I want you guys to get your stuff or your money back. That's why I'm doing this. Roasting the guy alive might feel good, but could burn other MGT'ers in the process. The whole situation is damning on Matt - If it was me, I'd call every friend I had trying to scare up the funds to make it right, right now, assuming I couldn't get it out of a secured loan from the bank. If something like this were to bite me, I wouldn't be able to fix it right now either, so I guess I have some empathy for the guy. It reminds me of how I was bad about money management in my late teens/early 20's; I'd spend it on the card, then spend it out of my account come payday and not have anything for the bill when it showed up. :oops: Didn't take too long for that to bite me in the azz either. Approaching 40 now, that'd be rather embarrassing, yet our Gov't does it every year. :evil:

It's not justification. It's not excusable. It is what's being presented as the reason you guys are out - and it's something that should/will haunt Matt for some time to come. In the meantime, lets try to fix the problem folks still have with the man so we can all move forward.

I don't believe I've disparaged the guy, and won't, as it doesn't resolve anything for either party.
An email from Matt explaining things wouldn't cost $0.01....and could save a lot of future problems.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grousemaster on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am

yuppiejr wrote:Interesting, reputation aside he's defrauded at least one person out of a few hundred bucks, an explanation is interesting and all but if I were someone with money floating in limbo for 0 goods I'd be looking for a full refund, in cash, by the end of the week or turn it over to the local PD/FBI/ATF to let them sort out the mess.

With all due respect, I think that's going overboard, this wouldn't be something any of those agencies would be interested in....more something for small claims court. It's not like he has missing guns or is a participant in straw sales, etc. Let's face it, he could file bankruptcy with his small business and no one would get paid.....he'll make it right.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:26 am

To his credit, Matt just emailed me.
Hopefully good faith actions can reasonably resolve this for all involved parties.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rugersol on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am

nevermind! ... http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44571

... took a bit to track it down ... this is the best I came up with ...

Matt Dunham wrote:Latest for sale:
Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm, new: $519
Ruger American .270, new: $330
Walther Uzi .22LR pistol, new: $399
Savage 93FVSS XP .22 mag, new: $328
S&W 22A pistol, new: $290
Stoeger Uplander 12 gauge SxS shotgun, new/old stock (no box): $350

All prices are for cash, before tax. Add 3% for credit cards, and add 6.875% for MN sales tax. Buy this week and I will throw in some ammo for the .22LR or 12 gauge. All out of .22 mag, .270, and 9mm, so I dropped the price on those a little.

Must be picked up in Shafer, MN, or shipped to your FFL at your cost.

Like · · Follow Post · June 17 at 1:07pm

Matt Dunham Few more to add: Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace Laser, new: $424, Smith & Wesson M&P Sport AR-15, new: $689, Glock 19 Gen 3, new: $529, Glock 23 Gen 4, new: $559

June 18 at 5:59pm · Like..

Matt Dunham One more: Walther P-22, nickel satin slide and black frame, new, 2 available: $395 each

June 18 at 6:01pm · Like..

Matt Dunham Bump, and have one more to add. Smith & Wesson M&P22 pistol. 12 round, new. $350.

June 23 at 9:05am · Like
Last edited by rugersol on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby FJ540 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

I posted up the special sale in group buys/deals. The prices are wholesale and for the betterment of our own members, so I figured it belonged there. Mod's can move it if they choose.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 pm

FJ540 wrote:I posted up the special sale in group buys/deals. The prices are wholesale and for the betterment of our own members, so I figured it belonged there. Mod's can move it if they choose.

Good on you.
Resolution pending. :cheers:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews