Wanna conceal a 1911 for cheap? Desantis IWB holster

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Wanna conceal a 1911 for cheap? Desantis IWB holster

Postby Snowgun on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Like that full sized 1911, but arn't happy about being able to conceal it comfortably?

Don't wanna spend more than $35?

Check out the Desantis IWB holster. (found at midway)

Carrying my gov 1911 wasn't very practical, and my blackhawk serpa holster wasn't cutting it. So I decided to try a inside the waistband.

Now I don't carry very often, and if I should need a gun I don't trust anything I can't shoot blindfolded, so it's my 1911 or nothing. But I'm concerned about concealment, and I didn't feel like dropping $100 for something I've never tried, so I rolled the dice on this Desantis.

The neat issues are that it can be canted for cross, side, or small of the back carry (I do about a 5 oclock position), it's belt tab allows a shirt to be tucked in, and it carries a spare mag! The inside of the holster has a sort of fuzzy velcro loop type of material that is supposed to be easy on your finish. It only uses friction retention, so snaps, ect. The spare mag pocket is elastic, which I actually sewed up a little tighter so it carried the mag more snugly.

The rig is comfortable, even though it doesn't have material between the protruding part of the gun's slide/frame and your back (which might make more of an issue in winter). A sturdy belt will hold the rig tight, so there is minimal to no bouncing. The only downside is it's pretty tough to holster the gun (especially in the back) but it's smooth to draw.

Anyway, I can pretty much conceal my government 1911 (+ extra mag!) wearing a slightly roomy T-shirt (even with it tucked in!), and shorts, given that they are the type I can wear a nylon tactical belt with. And for ~$33 bucks its worth buying one for giggles!
Last edited by Snowgun on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Re: Wanna conceal a 1911 for cheap? Desantis IWB holster

Postby plblark on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 am

so there you are, firing grip on your gun in your strong hand ... and you need that spare mag ... what gymnastics are you going to do to get to it?

Or are you one of those ambidextrous guys who will say "Yes, but I shoot with THIS hand" today?
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Paul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:53 am

It's not a horrible option. At least you A) have your gun with you, and B) have spare ammo with you and available, even if it isn't the most convenient set up.

If you can afford it, and it allows you to carry, more power to you.
Paul

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 am

How is is for retention? I have always found nylon holsters to be very "slippery".
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Paul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 am

I can't comment on their nylon holsters, but I had a couple of leather OWB DeSantis. They were decent quality for the money, thinner leather than some, but well molded and fairly durable.
Paul

Postby bstrawse on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 am

I saw that holster - went with a Milt Sparks VM2 instead -- I carry the spare mag on the other side :)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby JoeH on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 am

I'd be concerned that the holster would collapse and I'd be unable to safely holster the gun. Also that material looks bulky compared to kydex and leather.

The mag holder is a nice option for one-handed reloads. What? You guys don't practice one-handed reloads? It can be nice to have a mag on your strong side but it should never replace the mag(s) on your weak side.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby cobb on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

JoeH wrote:I'd be concerned that the holster would collapse and I'd be unable to safely holster the gun.
Several holsters have non reinforced mouth, like the Brommeland MaxCon V, I have several an believe they are the best carry holster. Now for range work, neither may be a good choice for several presentations from the holster and then holstering. I am not too keen on the mag on the strong side, too hard to get to fast without some unwanted handgun manipulation. I am not a fan of several holster designs, like the cross draw and shoulder rigs, I believe a person gives up too much of an advantage when carrying in one of those. So, bottom line, if this DeSantis holster works for him, is comfortable and allows him to carry all the time because it fits his needs, good for him.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby White Horseradish on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:52 am

This seems to be a good holster to keep for grabbing in an emergency. You know you will get both the gun and the mag. That said, this is only a good thing for some kinds of emergencies and not for others.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby Snowgun on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:03 pm

There will never be a holster that will work for every situation or satisfy every requirement. I personally like the particular set of requirements that this holster has met, and I have a whole rig that fits another set. :) I answered some of the questions that you guys had below...

plblark wrote:so there you are, firing grip on your gun in your strong hand ... and you need that spare mag ... what gymnastics are you going to do to get to it?

Very true, however for me it's a matter of "Do I leave the house with one Mag or 2". Though most shooting incidences are done with and average of 3-4 shells, having an extra magazine is nice for those outlier statistics with higher round count or a mag failure. I'm comfortable with the compromise of having an extra mag even if it has awkward accessibility. Plus, the conceal ability is great, I don't have to worry about concealing a mag holster or having a mag in my pocket.

Stradawhovious wrote:How is is for retention? I have always found nylon holsters to be very "slippery".

Since it's an inside the waistband, the belt helps the retention, plus the gun butt is against your back (or against you wherever you have it set up). Also, the material lining the holster (kind of like the loop part of loop and hook velcro) does a good job at creating a positive friction against the gun, supposedly without hurting the finish. I have run up and down stairs with it and it stays put. It feels nice and snug during drawing. Bottom line is I personally don't feel any concern about it's retention ability.

JoeH wrote:I'd be concerned that the holster would collapse and I'd be unable to safely holster the gun. Also that material looks bulky compared to kydex and leather.

Yes, the Holstering is tough, especially in the small of the back where you cant see. I've been getting better with it, using one hand to locate the holster mouth, then moving that hand while slipping the muzzle in. Then I gotta use both hands to get it firmly seated. However, I don't do (or plan to do) a lot of holstering with this. I just use it to be able to carry.

And the material is actually less bulky than kydex, probably the same as leather, and a little thinner than the nylon that Uncle Mikes makes.

Remember, IMHO, for $32 bucks, this makes a nice addition to your holster family. ;)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Return to Reviews