Sig p238 is no good!

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Sig p238 is no good!

Postby cerny on Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Don't buy this gun!!!!! I cant begin to underestimate this. This has been my most frustrating experience with a firearm and a customer service department. The gun at first glance was well made with a great fit and finish. When I got it home I realized the rear night sight was not illuminating. No big deal, back to Sig for a repair. When I got it back (a month later) I took it too the range to become thoroughly disappointed. It had nearly every malfunction I could think of, failure to feed, eject, go into battery, light strikes. The slide would fall forward and the hammer would follow it, you would need to cock the hammer manually. There would even be wild rounds up to a foot low at 5 yards, and no, I wasn't dropping the barrel or anticipating the shot. So back to Sig for another month. When I talked to customer service they said they would put a rush on it because It was the second time back, great. When I called after three weeks to see how it was coming I was talked down to and told that they would try to get it back but they never said they would and next time I should email that way we don't need to waste time on the phone. I thought this was pretty smug but it would be nothing compared to my next encounter. Finally got my gun and got to the range. The other malfunctions seem to be fixed but now I have a new malfunction. When inserting a full mag with the slide locked back the side falls forward chambering a round. I didn't touch the slide or the slide release. The wild rounds have increased. now nearly all the rounds are eight inches to a foot low at five yards. When I tried to tell this to customer service they said I was wrong, " It was a physical impossibility for that to happen". When I said that I am an experienced shooter and I DO know what I'm talking about there reply was " I'm sure you are, everyone is, and I'm sure you're a sponsored professional that shoot's 50,000 rounds a year" I have never been so insulted by a customer service rep! He continued to say that the slide issue just happens and that the gun was fixed, If I wanted to send it back again I would be charged for the service. I've been trying to reach a supervisor but no luck this far. It seems I may be stuck with a $700 piece of junk with $400 worth of ammo shot to prove it. I will never buy a Sig again no matter what!!!!!!!!
cerny

Re: Sig p238 is no good!

Postby Paul on Fri May 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Sooo... You have a Sig 238 for sale?
Paul

Postby Shipyard on Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm

i know cerny as an excellent shooter and good all around guy. i've been hearing some complaints around about the 238's - seems odd for a sig given the quality of their other products.

anyone else have a horror story?

(also, i vote to move this thread to the handgun discussion).
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby cerny on Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 pm

If you want to buy it, sure. The malfunctions are better but if you feel comfortable with the situation I'd be glad to sell it
cerny

Postby Bessy on Fri May 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Shipyard wrote:.

anyone else have a horror story?

I don't know about a horror story but I've had my share of runs in with sig.
I had a very very early sig gsr (first hand gun I ever owned). They were known to have issues. It was accurate as all getout, but had some reliability problems, went back to the factory twice, I have the receipts for both trips. They did right and took care of it. Fast forward 15,000 rounds and several years down the road. I'm still shooting that same gun for uspsa, when the external extractor breaks. I call up sig, expecting the stellar customer service representation, I had before. The customer service rep proceeds to tell me that my gsr was bought used and therefore has no warranty. I explained that it was purchased NIB, and had been in for warranty service several years before, and that I have the service order numbers if he wanted to check. He then changes his story and tells me that the early gsr's didn't have their lifetime warranty and that the warranty they will only cover defective parts after the first year. I say, great send me an external extractor mine broke, I'll even install it myself. He tells me it has to be done at the factory by one of their techs. The external extractor replacement is very easy, punch a pin out, throw the new one on, punch the pin back in.. but whatever.

We start filling out the service info, during which he finds out I have 15,000 rounds through the gun. He freaks out and basically tells me that it's unrealistic to expect no part breakages after that many rounds. He also asked me if I've had the gun in his words "rebuilt". I asked him what he means by rebuilt."You know replaced worn out springs and stuff". I told him I've replaced the main spring, and the recoil spring with factory weight ones, when needed. He asked "what about the other springs?" I told him what other springs would wear? He got indignant told me that I would have to pay for shipping, that they would inspect the gun and if it was found to be defective install new extractor. When I asked to talk to his supervisor I was hung up on.

A new extractor from egw was less than the cost of shipping the gun back to them, and less hassle. I ordered one from them.
Seems like they are having customer service issues as of late.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby cerny on Fri May 07, 2010 1:50 pm

I've dealt with multiple reps and all have talked down to me. The customer service is awful. I've been reading about lots of p238's with problems but I thought I would take a gamble and lost. One 238 owner had it in for service and when Sig sent it back they sent it to the wrong address. The gun was released to a stranger and wasn't signed for. When the owner tried to track down the recipient of the pistol no one at the address knew anything about it (go figure). Now there is a pistol on the street with his name on it thanks to Sig.
cerny

Postby tacticalninja32 on Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm

i buy scrap metal hehehehe, just for you cerny $5/lb
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby cerny on Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 pm

tacticalninja32 wrote:i buy scrap metal hehehehe, just for you cerny $5/lb

I think it's about 12 oz. so it might be worth it
cerny

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 pm

While I have no experience with this gun, I have heard nothing good about it.

I had a student who bought a new P232. The gun failed to work the first time she shot it (consistent and repeated failures to eject and failures to fire). She sent it back to Sig with less than 10 rounds fired. They have had it for over a year, and it's still not fixed.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby gunshop guy on Fri May 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I am not sure what is going on with Sig lately, but their customer service has fallen way off. It is nearly impossible to get anyone to answer the phone and they never call back (unless it is Natasha who handles RMA #'s for shipping). I have left messages on top of messages with no response. I like their guns as a whole but I am not impressed with how they handle their customers right now.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Postby diskdoctr on Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 am

I have a 229 that I love. It has never been a problem. I hope it never is, given what I am hearing about service.
diskdoctr

Postby plblark on Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 am

I received this as a forwarded e-mail so do not know its validity other than that my Dad sent it to me.

Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.’s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Sincerely,

SIG SAUER, Inc.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Squib Joe on Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 am

We've sold about 70 of that model (all numbered after the serial numbers involved in the safety notice)... and so far had one warranty issue (link pin problem). Other than that everyone has seemed pleased with the gun.

I would give their customer service another chance, Cerny. Take names if you can
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Paul on Mon May 10, 2010 9:34 am

Squib Joe wrote:We've sold about 70 of that model (all numbered after the serial numbers involved in the safety notice)... and so far had one warranty issue (link pin problem). Other than that everyone has seemed pleased with the gun.

I would give their customer service another chance, Cerny. Take names if you can

gunshop guy wrote:I am not sure what is going on with Sig lately, but their customer service has fallen way off. It is nearly impossible to get anyone to answer the phone and they never call back (unless it is Natasha who handles RMA #'s for shipping). I have left messages on top of messages with no response. I like their guns as a whole but I am not impressed with how they handle their customers right now.

Don't you two work together?
Paul

Postby David on Wed May 12, 2010 7:09 pm

I used to talk to Sig-Sauer customer service directly, but now I have the dealer do it. I would get attitude every time and outright lies every now and again (the lies were mostly from a certain sales guy). They certainly never listened to what I had to say about what the problem was. It was like they figured, "we're the manufacturer, send it in, and if there's anything wrong we'll know it." I sent a P229 in three times to fix an issue that they never addressed, and it was clear from their comments on the repair ticket that they didn't even pay any attention to what I said the problem was. I finally showed the gun to Ted Yost and he fixed it in all of about ten minutes. It was a relatively simple issue that the "pros" never even looked at, but which was the first thing Ted looked at based on what I told him the pistol was doing.

Anyway, they do listen a bit better to the dealers, since the dealers buy massive amounts of their product and presumably will recommend them or not, based on things like this. I've been happy since.
David

Next

Return to Reviews