Slide glide? Gun panacea or yet another gimmic?

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Slide glide? Gun panacea or yet another gimmic?

Postby JJ on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Standard weight, I have used it on the bolt on contact surfaces with a real light coat. Basically just wiped it on my finger, wiped it across the areas that contact the upper receiver. Also the locking lugs, and bolt to bolt carrier surfaces. Seems to be staying put, and I have no reliability issues since doing it.

I also applied an extremely small amount to the hammer/sear.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Paul on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:42 pm

JJ wrote:Seems to be staying put, and I have no reliability issues since doing it.

Did you have reliability issues prior to using it?
Paul

Postby JJ on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Paul wrote:
JJ wrote:Seems to be staying put, and I have no reliability issues since doing it.

No. It is claimed to have dampening effect so one could assume that as heavy as it is that it might cause issues. So far i have noticed no difference as compared to using gun oil.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Snowgun on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:46 pm

JJ wrote:
Paul wrote:

No. It is claimed to have dampening effect so one could assume that as heavy as it is that it might cause issues. So far i have noticed no difference as compared to using gun oil.

I think i'm gonna put the heavy stuff on my 308... :?

Might as well go hard or go home... :D
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby 1911fan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Put your gun in a cooler full of ice and try it then. It turned to rubber cement in the cold
1911fan

Postby Norsesmithy on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:19 pm

What's this do that Lucas Red "N" Tacky # 2 doesn't? Actually the pictures look a lot like Red n Tacky.
Norsesmithy

Postby 870TC on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Doesn't smell as bad as Red n' Tacky.

I used the lite down to around 20 degrees in a 1911 with no issues, below that temp I switch to a oil.
870TC

Postby bensdad on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm

$2 or so at Walmart. Enough to last a lifetime.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Snowgun on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:24 pm

bensdad wrote:$2 or so at Walmart. Enough to last a lifetime.

If you read the link, Brian Enos developed the stuff because he was unhappy with the performance of those kind of greases...

Here is the information page (scroll down):

http://brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby bensdad on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

If you read the link, Brian Enos developed the stuff because he was unhappy with the performance of those kind of greases...

So has he been selling this stuff since BEFORE he reached the pinnacle of success? Cuz if he got awesome before he invented the miracle grease, then I wonder what "unsatisfactory" product got him to the top? I've never used the stuff. Just can't help thinkin' there are about as many favorite lubes for guns as there are gun owners.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Snowgun on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:58 pm

bensdad wrote:

So has he been selling this stuff since BEFORE he reached the pinnacle of success? Cuz if he got awesome before he invented the miracle grease, then I wonder what "unsatisfactory" product got him to the top? I've never used the stuff. Just can't help thinkin' there are about as many favorite lubes for guns as there are gun owners.

:D True, but all lubes are not created equal, there have to be some that work better than others.

I've found the best copper cleaner and verified it quantitatively, I love what I use for solvent (though admittedly a lot of that is my personal preference), so now I am on the hunt for the ultimate lube. Everything I've used so far works...and I've found some inferior products...now I'm just looking for the best. :)

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby timwarner on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:19 pm

snowgun, I got the light stuff, use it on everything. The AR's and bolt guns love it, pistols run fine on it. I wouldn't read too much into any sort of "dampening" effect, but try it out, if it don't work, get something else.

That's how most of us get to using what we use now. Buy n try, not 100 pages of research threads.

Anyone with half a brain should be able to wade through the ******** without getting over knee deep reading ads or what's already been posted somewhere else.
google is your friend.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I've been told by more than one high end gunsmith that good lube serves two purposes, one obviously is lubrication but the second and actaully equally important it wicks contaminants away. To serve the second purpose the lube needs to leech out, thus I've been told not to use high temp grease because the contaminents stay on the parts and basically you creat rubbing compound. Instead they contend it is better to let the lube run out fo the joint and reapply fresh.
mmcnx2

Postby Norsesmithy on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:55 pm

870TC wrote:Doesn't smell as bad as Red n' Tacky.

I used the lite down to around 20 degrees in a 1911 with no issues, below that temp I switch to a oil.

I like how Red n Tacky smells. I've shot my Warrior at 0 degrees with the Red n Tacky, and while it did cycle noticeably slower, it didn't choke. It sat in a sled with my other guns while I snowshoed out to my shooting area, and maybe didn't get down to ambient, but was damn cold anyways for the first shot. The time I left my Warrior out overnight and shot it when it was colder than -40, it was lubed with Napa brand synthetic 5w30.
mmcnx2 wrote:I've been told by more than one high end gunsmith that good lube serves two purposes, one obviously is lubrication but the second and actaully equally important it wicks contaminants away. To serve the second purpose the lube needs to leech out, thus I've been told not to use high temp grease because the contaminents stay on the parts and basically you creat rubbing compound. Instead they contend it is better to let the lube run out fo the joint and reapply fresh.

I noticed a reduction in wear rate from when I switched from motor oil to grease. Most people don't regularly get their guns hot enough to reliably drip regular Lithium grease, so I wouldn't worry about the high temp characteristic of a grease creating rubbing compound in your firearm.
Norsesmithy

Postby timwarner on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:I've been told by more than one high end gunsmith that good lube serves two purposes, one obviously is lubrication but the second and actaully equally important it wicks contaminants away. To serve the second purpose the lube needs to leech out, thus I've been told not to use high temp grease because the contaminents stay on the parts and basically you creat rubbing compound. Instead they contend it is better to let the lube run out fo the joint and reapply fresh.

grease is good for loading machines, bad for guns. See my above post for more detail.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews