Kel-Tec Sub2000

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Kel-Tec Sub2000

Postby phorvick on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 am

This is just way too much fun for anyone to have for less than $300. A really interesting folding design, available in 9mm and .40, and available with common pistol magazines (mine is the Glock 17 version)...it is just a hoot to shoot.

Very accurate, lightweight (easy to bump fire)...and if you blow a few hundred rounds of 9mm it is not all that pricey to put a big smile on your face.

Add KT's lifetime warranty (and they do have excellent customer service)...what's not to like?

Well, if you are a shooting ear-muff type person, the muffs tend to get in the way of a good sight picture; plugs would be a better choice. The trigger is heavier than I would prefer (mine breaks at about 7 pounds).

I have only fired about 300 rounds. No jams firing in the conventional manner, but I can only get about 5-15 rounds before it jams in rapid fire. That may be a design issue, or a technique issue, or possibly a break-in issue.

Just way way fun.

But the "what the heck is that" question at the range makes up for a few shortcomings.

Now, to find a holster. The perfect "backpack" gun :)
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Kel-Tec Sub2000

Postby ttousi on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Carry Depot have them??
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby farmerj on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm

Which Version? Glock Mags, (not avail last I heard); Beretta Mag, Avail; S&W Mag, Available.

I am hoping that the beretta mag version will be entering my stable this year.

They do bump fire very nicely.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby ttousi on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Glock mag

Jerry I need one :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby phorvick on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:13 pm

ttousi wrote:Carry Depot have them??

I bought it there...they are on backorder as of today...
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby Old Dude on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 pm

A few weeks ago, phorvick generously let me take some shots with it. I can vouch for the fact that it is both fun and quite accurate. Even though it looks like something that should shoot either Nerf balls or ping-pong balls, it shoots well and, to me, the ergonomics were pretty good. I look forward to having enough money soon to get one of my very own!
Old Dude

Postby TC95GT on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 am

Another good review. Thanks!

The list of must haves keeps getting longer and longer.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby rtk on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:49 pm

ttousi wrote:Glock mag

Jerry I need one :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Make it two!

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby JoeH on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Are the S&W mag models for the M&P mags?
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby farmerj on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 pm

JoeH wrote:Are the S&W mag models for the M&P mags?

Yes.

The Beretta Mag versions are for the 92/M9 mags. I guess having 20+ mags for the Beretta now isn't such a bad thing. :twisted:
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby MNBud on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Well,I was hoping to hold out to get a look at a Ruger Charger before deciding if I was going to go with that or one of these. I called Gunstop yesterday and they had one of the Kel-Tec in 9mm with the Glock Magazines. After reading about these on a number of different sites and hearing how scarce they were I picked this up today. I am just a little confused, I have read about people saying their's was either the Glock 17 or 19. It didn't make much difference to me and I realized that when I got home and started looking at mine that there is no designation either on the gun or on the box as to which one mine is. Is the grip on one longer than the other? Mine came with a 10 round magazine so that is no help as both the Glock 17 and 19 can use a 10 round magazine.
Any help would be appreciated. I have never been to a Kel Tec forum so if I don't hear anything here I'll try to hunt down a forum.The Kel Tec website also was no help,other than being able to order the stock extension and wide trigger.
Last edited by MNBud on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNBud

Postby Molasses on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:16 pm

I called Gunstop yesterday and they had one of the Kel-Tec in 9mm with the Glock Magazines. After reading about these on a number of different sites and hearing how scarce they were I picked this up today. I am just a little confused, I have read about people saying their's was either the Glock 17 or 19. It didn't make much difference to me and I realized that when I got home and started looking at mine that there is no designation either on the gun or on the box as to which one mine is. Is the grip on one longer than the other? Mine came with a 10 round magazine so that is no help as both the Glock 17 and 19 can use a 10 round magazine.

I've got the same model, even bought it at the same place. FWIW, my primary interest was in using the looong Glock mags in it. :twisted: 15 round G19 mags don't fit; too short for the mag well. OTOH, the long sticks work in my G19 just fine (they just hang way out there)!

Only minus to date is that it has a tendancy to munch the last case out of the long mags instead of ejecting it cleanly. I'm thinking that it's a matter of the follower, under the impetus of that anaconda-length spring, interfering with that last case as it's being pulled back during extraction. So far, my solution has been to avoid shooting it all the way down to empty. :geek: Maybe when it gets warm again I'll be willing to spend some range time troubleshooting this issue.
Molasses

Postby chunkstyle on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:22 am

I'd love to have one, in Beretta. Indeed, I'd prefer on in .40 to one in 9mm, but 9mm would be acceptable. Maybe it's time for a group buy?
"In his library at Simi Valley, dead Reagan waits dreaming"
chunkstyle

Postby MNBud on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:10 am

Well after going through 31 pages on the Kel-tec forum I have found the dimensions to determine if your Glock model is 17 or 19.
It actually sounds like the 19 is very scarce and the grip is very short.I have ordered the cover piece so you aren't laying your face on the cold bar and the extension for the butt end for a little more eye relief.I also ordered a piece to make the trigger wider, I haven't read about anyone else having an issue with the trigger but I thought it was very narrow.I also added the G19 Pearce grip extension to the supplied magazine which is helpful because it covers the slot in the front of the grip.
MNBud

Return to Reviews