Tommy-Gun

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Tommy-Gun

Postby phorvick on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Kahr Arms (Thompson division) is marketing the 1927A1 Thompson "Tommy Gun", and it is a piece of Americana that just screams to be enjoyed.

If the AK47 is the predominantly recognized firearm in the rest of the world, it seems that the American Thompson may well be the most recognized long gun profile in American weaponry.

The gun is, well, just way cool! There are a mere handful of guns that, when brought to a public range, generate the enthusiastic response that the Thompson brings to the crowd. It is a uniquely beautiful firearm....dare I say it is a work of art?

It is a big...heavy...and fun to shoot gun. 41" long, and some 13 pounds unloaded. Add a fully loaded 30 round stick magazine (standard) or a 50 round drum (an option...but hey, it is really "required" to get the full emotional effect!) loaded with .45acp and you get a handful to tote. The drum (about $300 msrp) and the "violin carrying case" (about $150 msrp) are among the must have accessories to complement the gun.

Mine, sadly, took two trips back to the factory before it was running without problems. In both cases the bolt assembly was replaced. Since that 2nd trip, it has been a very reliable and way too much fun gun to shoot. Very accurate, but then I am shooting it at the 50 yards and in range, so accuracy really should not be an issue...and it isn't.

Loading the drum is a pain (stick is a breeze), and you need a special tool (the "third hand") to remove the drum. But...the look is just so much better!

For the price (msrp $1282), the history, the look...it is arguably a bargain. Everyone needs at least one special/evil/cool gun. AR15, Kel-Tec Sub2000, Thompson or ???? Get one. Have fun. Piss off those that want to ban them!

Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Tommy-Gun

Postby plblark on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Please bring it to the Tectifun event :-) :lol:
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby phorvick on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:57 pm

plblark wrote:Please bring it to the Tectifun event :-) :lol:
Absolutely!
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby DeanC on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm

They are fun, but boy do they chew up a 50rd box fast.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby 1911fan on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 pm

But not at fast as one of these

still a cool piece for about a 10th the price of this one
1911fan

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:22 pm

Yes indeed!
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:49 pm

It's a very interesting design, firing from an open bolt. The first time I fired a Tommy Gun with the giggle switch turned on, I wasn't ready for it and the darned thing climbed straight up! You really have to through your whole body behind the thing to keep the muzzle from going vertical.

Fun on the run :D
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby David on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm

I've found the Thompson to have a really nice rhythm. You can just sort of hold it and let it rock back and forth; much more pointable and controllable than smaller SMGs. My favorite all-time open-bolt SMG is the Swedish K. It has an even better rhythm, but of course it doesn't have the cool factor of a Thompson.

The MP5, of course, is the most amazing SMG out there (of the ones I've shot, anyway). Closed-bolt, ultra controllable, and wickedly accurate. The SMG class was the most fun class I've ever taken. Highly recommended, if anyone is considering it. If you take the one at Gunsite, there's a guy named Corey who brings a couple dozen SMGs to the class and lets people shoot them so that you can try out a lot of variety. I've got a video spanning the whole five days (another student and I switch off being the camera man), and it's a lot of fun.

Maybe we should have a movie night sometime? Anyone else have any cool video you've shot of your shooting events? I happen to own the perfect venue for such a thing (a small bar in Northeast with some very large screens). That might be the perfect sort of meet-and-greet.
David

Postby westberg on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 pm

David Slam wrote:Maybe we should have a movie night sometime? Anyone else have any cool video you've shot of your shooting events? I happen to own the perfect venue for such a thing (a small bar in Northeast with some very large screens). That might be the perfect sort of meet-and-greet.

Is this new to only me or did everyone know this about Mr. Slam............ :?: :o I believe somewhere buried in the rules is if a secret is kept like this a round of drinks is owed on movie night, if it isn't in the rules then it should be.............. :hmm:
I would be up for movie night.

Ron
westberg

Postby David on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 pm

It's actually a semi-private music venue/bar called Area 52 that's only open on Friday nights. Musicians come and jam all night, and it's usually pretty well-attended. The other six nights of the week though it's available to be used for whatever we want, which usually consists of things like movie nights, election night parties, bachelor parties, art showings, and whatever the members think would be a good use of it.

Regardless of what night it is, if anyone walks in the door with a sticker on his forehead that says, "I'm a moron from MNGuntalk," he'll drink for free! And I'm serious about hosting an event sometime. That could be fun.
David

Postby 1911fan on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Did i just read "drink for free" Heck< I know people who would have that tattooed on their forehead for that offer.......
1911fan

Postby westberg on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:05 pm

You may now refer to me as moron............... :lol:

moron
westberg

Return to Reviews