My experience with taurus firearms and customer service

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

My experience with taurus firearms and customer service

Postby Exjay on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm

This will be an on-going experience with updates in the original post.

So heres the story. I picked up a new taurus 85ul from a local ffl that was on clerance new in box. I went to the range to test fire the gun before I carried it. after 40 rounds of federal fmj the trigger became more difficult to pull. Shot 41 fired but made an unusual click and the trigger failed to reset all the way. I packed the gun away and brought it home to see if I couldnt get it to reset so I could atleast get the 4 live rounds unloaded from the gun. I did but the trigger still fails to reset properly.

Not knowing much about revolver internals and the fact the gun is practically brand new I figure ill just leave it to taurus to fix it.

So the day after the failure I called taurus and was on hold for 20 mins before the operator told me it
had to be shipped in for repair and fedex would
be by the next day within a 6 hour period. I could not commit to that due to my work so she told me
to call back the day before I could be around to ship it out.

Fast forward to today 3/1/11. I found the time to get the gun shipped so I call taurus. After 13 mins on hold the call was cut off. Im not sure if I lost reception on my cell or if it was on their end. So I
call back and begin the wait again. 15 minutes later I'm connected and the operator is very helpful and didnt seem to have an attitude I recived during my first call. After about 5 mins he emails me shipping info and taurus would be covering costs of shipping.
so thats where im at right now. Fedex will be here tomorrow to pick up the box then its the waiting game.

**3/5/12 gun was shipped out and recived by taurus 3/6/12. Taurus sent an email saying to expect a 4 week wait.

**3/16/12- after 11 days I have recived my firearm back with a replaced trigger spring. Overall id say in fairly happy with the speedy repair and return rate. Hopefully it all holds together or i will be updating this again.
Last edited by Exjay on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Exjay

Re: My experience with taurus firearms and customer service

Postby MrVvrroomm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I've heard nothing but positive things about their customer service, here's to a speedy return.
Thunder71

Postby old guy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I sent in a 605 to replace a spring which I lost, sent on Fri. had it back on Tues.

John
old guy

Postby ali_squidz on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:23 pm

I had to send my taurus in for work. it never shot right from the box. i went to bills, paid a grip to ship it, and got it back in like.... maaaaaybe 2 weeks. they fixed it no problems. i never trusted it after that though and sold it.

had a 1911 taurus with night sights on it. by far my favorite hand gun. thing shot like a dream and never had any issues

. i guess maybe it's hit or miss. the warranty is lifetime though and they really didnt question anything about the one i sent in. turn around time was quick too.
ali_squidz

Postby tman on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 am

Turn around time USED to be terrible. Just terrible.

They've gotten much better.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Exjay on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Small update. Gun is in taurus's hands now.
Exjay

Postby Exjay on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:42 am

Update, 11 days after being shipped I have the gun back ready to be extensivly test fired.
Exjay

Postby tman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm

That's a great turn-around time.

I hope they actually addressed and fixed your problem.
tman

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Way back in the early 90's when I was in college my only social pistol was a Taurus PT92. It sheared the locking block ears one day at the range. I called Taurus to inquire about a replacement and they sent me out one for free. Lady on the phone didn't even care I had bought it used or anything. I had the block in about a week from what I remember and it has been solid ever since. The block broke somewhere at the 10,000 round count from when I owned it and like I said, it was used when I got it. I doubt I have 5,000 rounds since I replaced it, but the gun continues to run well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus if that was what fit my budget.

Good luck, let us know how the test firing works out.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 am

tman wrote:That's a great turn-around time.
I hope they actually addressed and fixed your problem.

If it was anything more complicated than replacing an ejector or adjusting a sight I'm sure they utterly failed at fixing the issue.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Re: Re: My experience with taurus firearms and customer service

Postby tman on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:If it was anything more complicated than replacing an ejector or adjusting a sight I'm sure they utterly failed at fixing the issue.

Are you speaking from experience? This thread is old enough but I can't remember, and I am too lazy to check. :grin:

Sent from my DROIDX using that app whose name we dare not speak.
tman

Re: Re: My experience with taurus firearms and customer service

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm

tman wrote: Are you speaking from experience? This thread is old enough but I can't remember, and I am too lazy to check. :grin:.

Yeah my opinions of Taurus customer service and repair is pretty low. They're more apt to send you back a firearm with the sights set kittywampus than they are to actually fix the issue at hand. If you waste enough of your time bitching they'll just replace the entire pistol rather than replace or fix a major part.

Ask a gunsmith at a major store that deals with Taurus how they would rate the service & work.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Re: Re: Re: My experience with taurus firearms and customer serv

Postby tman on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
tman wrote: Are you speaking from experience? This thread is old enough but I can't remember, and I am too lazy to check. :grin:.

Yeah my opinions of Taurus customer service and repair is pretty low. They're more apt to send you back a firearm with the sights set kittywampus than they are to actually fix the issue at hand. If you waste enough of your time bitching they'll just replace the entire pistol rather than replace or fix a major part.

Ask a gunsmith at a major store that deals with Taurus how they would rate the service & work.

Interesting, but non-responsive. A simple "yes" or "no" would do.

Sent from my DROIDX using that app whose name we dare not speak.
tman

Re: Re: Re: My experience with taurus firearms and customer serv

Postby gyrfalcon on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 am

tman wrote:Interesting, but non-responsive. A simple "yes" or "no" would do.

Yes.

My last customer experience was with Ruger approximately four days ago. Called them up and waited on the phone a good 30 minutes, guy didn't know much about anything but was able to look up the part. They sent it to me for free and it showed yesterday in the mail.

My last experience with Taurus was a few months ago when I tried to order a scope mount for a Taurus raging magnum revolver. Utter disaster. No eta for restock, or future availability etc. I'm surprised they figure out how to get out of bed in the morning honestly.
gyrfalcon

Return to Reviews