Terra Lux Lightstar 220 review

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Terra Lux Lightstar 220 review

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 am

i got a Terra Lux light a few months ago from Santa. here's my "review" of it so far:

http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tlf-3c2aaex/
firstly, the light is not a super compact unit. it's a relatively large light, too big to put in your pocket most of the time. in a jacket pocket, it's just fine. if you wore a magazine and flashlight holder, it's gonna be fine. however, i don't. i usually bring it to work with me.
the light has one button at the rear. every time you click the button, it turns the light on to full power (220 Lumens). if you slightly depress the button a second time it dims down to 100 lumens. i find the 100 lumen setting to be more than enough for most activities, but when i'm trying to find the dog in the dark, that 220 Lumen beam shines a good effin distance, making finding the mutt a relatively easy task.
the light came with a lanyard that i promptly removed. there's a simple loop unit that is removable when you take off the bottom bezel for battery access. i just don't think that a lanyard is a necessary item these days.
AA batteries are a nice touch, no more searching for a good price on 123 Lithiums. if it runs dry, just yank the batteries from your VCR remote (i know that many of you still are holding on to your VCRs, don''t lie)
the manufacturer claims 3.5 hrs runtime on high, and 26 hrs runtime on low. i can't argue with these numbers, as i haven't timed it, but cheap-o Costo batteries that i have with the light have not been replaced in the 3+ months i've had this.
the focus of the beam is pretty tight, with a flood area that encompasses MORE than enough distance for everyday activities and then some.

MSRP of this particular light is $49.99, and can be had for less elsewhere. Amazon, for example, has them for $24.99

all in all, i'd give this light a solid 8 of 10. the only things i'm not totally loving are the lanyard, the carry case that mine didn't have (i got screwed apparently) and the sorta smooth body. i'd like some knurling on the body of this light. not any super aggressive knurling, just a little more grip. some griptape would work, or if i really get a wild hair i'll chuck it in a lathe at school and actually knurl it. probably not, as i don't want to have to re anodize it

i'd not hesitate to pick another up some time
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Re: Terra Lux Lightstar 220 review

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks for the review, the body reminds me of the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme:

What turned you on to this light in the first place?
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Ranger01 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:06 pm

I've had one of these lights for around 2 years now. Carry it every day. I paid $15 for mine and even at "full price" I think I'd still buy another (if this one ever goes). You aren't missing much with the case though, it sucks, although if you want I'd be more than happy to give it to you haha.

There are mods floating around for making it have a momentary on, but I'm on my phone right now. But I've looked at surefires and fenix lights (the T-L lights are made by the same people as fenix) and I just can't justify spending twice as much money on a lower power light with a couple ergo upgrades.
Ranger01

Postby rukwikenuf on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 pm

yeah, hasn't done me wrong.

Falcon, i got it from Satan Claws. it was a X-Mas gift from the wifey. i had told her i wanted a high output LED flashlight small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, yet not so small that i'd lose it (hey, it'll happen). this is what she came up with. sure, i wanted the Surefire one that has the syringe style grippage on it, and i might still get one, but this'll do anything i need it to do and THEN some
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 am

just wanted to resurrect this old thread by saying it was a great light. it lived a very useful life, but i lost it in the woods!!! AARGH. the day that i got my buck, Nov 7, when dragging Bambi out, i lost it. if it's still there, i'll look for it in the springtime. however, if it's gone, it's gone. i'm not gonna lose any sleep over a friggin light. it still sucks that i didn't even have the damn thing for a full year!

oh well, i just got it's bigger brother, the Lightstar 300, i'll write up a little review on that one too

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Return to Reviews