Review: Storm Mountain Patrolling Course

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Review: Storm Mountain Patrolling Course

Postby David on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:12 pm

The following is a narrative I wrote in 2002 about my participation in Storm Mountain's 5-day Patrolling Course. I ran across this the other day and thought that it might be interesting to people around here. It's long. Like, absurdly long (over sixty pages). Many of you will lose interest quickly, but some of you might think it's pretty cool. There are pictures, and I've tried to explain things with enough description to give an idea of what it was like, and, most importantly, what the surprising lessons were.

I realized when it was over that the reason I took the course got lost after the first couple of days. I'm not even sure I remember why I signed-on to do it. Some buddies were doing it, and I thought it would be fun to learn some things about land navigation as well as do some fun outdoor shooting. But whatever the reason for being there, what I got out of it went way beyond any particular skill or "fun" experience. I don't think I'd ever do anything like it again, but I'm glad I did, and I think it changed me permanently in a couple of good ways. Much more on this below.

The pictures in the post are in no particular order. I didn't want to go through the whole text to find the right spots to insert them. In various places I'll say, "Pictures attached" and then explain them, but this refers to the pics I sent out to the original list serve I had this on. Those pictures as well as many others appear here, but in different places.

A hazy whirlwind of light, sound, and motion enveloped me. All five senses were being overloaded. As the earth trembled and heaved, I could hear shouts and gunfire, could smell the thick, sharp odor of burned powder, could feel the impact of mortar rounds, could see the flashes of light and movement on all sides. Gunfire came from every direction. It seemed there were twice as many places where muzzles were flashing than we had people. The looks I got from my own guys were way more piercing, though, either from their accusatory disappointment in me or that terrifying, "what do we do now?" look that haunts every leader.

The intensity of all this activity was in the background, though, obscured by exhaustion, confusion, and the certain knowledge that I was failing myself and the guys around me. Every man was in his own world, yelling for people to listen, to pay attention to his own dilemma. So, this is what leadership is, hmm? Seeing the big picture. Folding the lives, desires, senses, fears, outrage, courage, stupidity, and abilities of a group of people into one entity. Making that entity perform, and doing it while you have all the same fears and doubts that they do, except that you also feel the crushing weight of your responsibility, leaving little left except your own self-doubt.

I got it. In that moment, amidst the gunfire and shouting, I understood what it was all about. A week's worth of labor, exhaustion, hunger, petty ********, deprivation, and pointless tasks added up in that instant to a very powerful lesson. Rod is a genius.

Many of you know that from time to time I attend various firearms-related schools. In the past, I have taken classes on tactics, marksmanship, situational awareness, tactical stress management, and others. Last week, I took the Ranger Patrolling course, which was offered by Storm Mountain Training Center, in the mountainous terrain of West Virginia. I was expecting a low-intensity exposure to various Ranger skills, such as rappelling, land navigation, patrol techniques, and others, but what I got was so far beyond these things that I have to narrate the entire course in order to really understand its effect myself. The emphasis of the course was actually on leadership, teamwork, personal mental and physical limits, as well as the skills I listed above. Because of this broad emphasis, which really translates to all areas of our lives, I have expanded the list of people I usually send my course narratives to. If this does not interest you, feel free to ignore it. I won't mind.

All the stuff I'd be carrying, laid out in the driveway the night before leaving.

My trip started at 2:00 AM Sunday morning. I wanted to be in Mount Storm, the closest town, by 6:00 PM that evening, as I was meeting John and Travis, the individuals I usually attend these classes with. They are both Doctors; Travis is a neurosurgeon, and John is a radiation oncologist. John spent 14 years as an ER doc though, so he has lots of experience with acute medical situations, and is the perfect choice for a travel companion if you are looking for someone who can take care of you. He's very good at starting a saline drip when you're drunk. Cures your hangover instantly. He's pretty cool, too.

Both John and Travis have spent numerous years in the Army Reserve, and both have at times been Special Forces doctors. Travis in fact recently was promoted to full colonel, which is pretty rare for a reserve doctor. John went to Iraq toward the end of the Gulf War, and was part of the Special Forces group that assisted the Kurds with food, medicine, and shelter in northern Iraq and Turkey. Both of these individuals are extremely high-quality people, and, because I have known him for so long and have shared so many experiences, I count John as one of my best friends.

I met John at Gunsite Training Center, near Paulden, Arizona, in 1997. He was taking the submachine gun course, and I was taking my first pistol course. There wasn't a whole lot of mixing between classes, but we managed to have enough contact to recognize something common in each other, whatever it was (insert obligatory gay jokes here). One of the police officers in John's course managed to shoot the end of his own finger off, and John treated him in the field. He accompanied him to the hospital, even though the injury wasn't that serious. John's experience in the ER gave him the insight to recognize that the medical staff in the small, local hospital might make the wrong decisions regarding the injury, and might decide the finger wasn't worth saving. His purpose in accompanying his classmate was to "suggest" to the doctor that things weren't as bleak as they seemed. He was right, and had to exert a little pressure to get them to try to save the finger rather than take it all the way off. As a result, his classmate still has his finger, is not restricted in work at all, and suffered much less than he would have. They still talk every now and then, and John acts as though it was no big deal. "He would have done the same for me," he drawls, in his funny Mississippi accent. John's just that kind of guy.

John, Jeff Cooper, and I, at Cooper's home in Paulden, Arizona. Jeff Cooper is widely considered to be the "Father of the Modern Technique of the Pistol." He is the founder of Gunsite, one of the first dedicated shooting schools of its type. He's also a widely published author.

My trip took me through eight states, and I arrived more or less on schedule. John and Travis were delayed, so I simply got a room and re-packed all of my gear. Flying out to the course was not an option, as I had to bring so much gear with me. I had no intention of finding out what sort of hoops the airline would make me jump through to bring weapons and cases of ammo with me, so driving seemed the thing to do.

I was a bit embarrassed at the thought of taking this class to begin with. I didn't like that it was called "Ranger School" because I felt that somehow degraded the accomplishment that actual Rangers achieve when they take their 72-day course. This was only going to be five days, so I figured that no matter what they did to us in that time, it couldn't possibly compare with the regular-length course. Two of the things they did which made up for the shorter timeframe included asking us to come to the class having studied the Ranger Handbook and knowing it back-to-front, which would allow us to dispense with much of the classroom time, and also eliminating much of the instruction with various techniques. For example, when it was time to rappel, instead of taking a few days to study the techniques and safety procedures, and then watching many demonstrations, and then practicing on small platforms, we simply went right away to the large tower, clipped-in, and away-we-went. This made rappelling go from a four or five day class to a few hours. Anyone who has done this before knows that there isn't much to it, so if you are willing to take a few shortcuts and risk an injury (something Storm Mountain is not afraid to do), you can get pretty much the same thing out of it. This would come to characterize the approach to many of the training topics we were given.

I woke-up Monday at 4:00 AM, showered, and drove to the Center. While we were getting our stuff together, Rod, the head instructor and Center President, came out to the lot and started yelling at us to get going and be up to the classroom on time. I had been forewarned that this class would be run just like an Army school, and that there would be lots of yelling and punishment for being late and screwing up, so this didn't surprise me. Since we were a couple of minutes late, we had to do PT right off the bat while we were yelled at. We were told that there would be no lateness for the rest of the week, or the whole team would suffer. Knowing that your team members will have to do pushups because of your mistakes is a pretty good incentive to do things right.

The "front leaning rest" position. Pushups are fun! Not. Later, we would have to do these with our packs on.

We had a few hours of classroom instruction on the basics of a few skills, but it was more to see what we already knew than anything else. Anyone who didn't already know the basics would be given his money back and asked to leave. We were told that we would get very little instruction in certain things, so that we should choose people who were especially good at those tasks already to perform them. For example, Travis had lots of land navigation experience, so he was usually our navigator and point man. It quickly became apparent that I was what is called a "mule." That means I can carry a lot of stuff. My load over the first couple of days got heavier and heavier, as the loads of some of the others got a bit lighter. I also am a bit of a night owl, so I was able to stay clear-headed a bit better during our night activities. I usually let my partner (we were always partnered with at least one person) sleep while I stayed awake. In exchange for these things, I did a lot less of the things at which I didn’t have much experience, like pace-counting and compass work.

Our instructors were one Army Ranger officer (a major) and one Ranger NCO (a First Sergeant). These guys were skilled at their trade and excellent instructors. They had dramatically different styles that complemented each other well. I would learn a lot from both of them over the coming week. Rod was not going to be our instructor, but would be involved in the course in various ways. He would play the role of S2 intelligence officer, CID officer, air support coordinator, partisan commander, headquarters *******, and a number of other tasks. Others were in charge of coordinating the Opposition Force's activities (it would prove to be very challenging for them to always keep a step ahead of us. They would not be told exactly what we were doing, but had a general idea of what our missions would be. This would make for a lot of realism, and gave us the sense that we could succeed if we could outsmart them). There were many others involved who remained totally behind the scenes. I didn't actually meet everyone until the last day, and I was amazed at the resources that they put into this course.

Ranger instructors, and Rod, the founder of Storm Mountain.

We were told that anything we left out of our immediate control would be stolen by the OpFor (opposition force). There were about ten or so "enemy" soldiers who would be making our lives miserable for the next five days, and one of their favorite things to do was sneak into your area and steal your rucksack or other items. They especially like to steal your weapon. Our food would be the MREs that we brought with us. An MRE (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) is a package of things that at first glance are anything but ready to be eaten. They consist of euphemistic names like "Salisbury Steak," and "Chicken Kiev." There's a lot more variety in them these days, and you can find literally dozens of choices. Swapping entrees, sides, and desserts is an art form of bartering among soldiers that would quickly teach any experienced horse trader a thing or two about trading. While MREs look pretty processed and nasty, many of them actually taste excellent, especially after you've been crawling in the dirt for a few days. They completely eliminate your ability to take a ****, so you get the added benefit of not having to risk getting ambushed while a turd is hanging out of your ass, which would suck. This is great for a few days, but if your patrol is a week or more, it gets uncomfortable, and then you have to take a good half hour out to somehow empty your swollen bowels.

I quickly learned to carry my MREs in my cargo pockets so that if I had to drop my ruck for any reason, I would always have at least one meal on me. Even in this high-exertion environment, I discovered that more than one MRE per day was excessive, so I found myself typically eating an entree during one of our frequent stops, and then later in the day eating the fruit, crackers, and fig bars that were in the MREs during the other stops. We never actually stopped to eat; we always ate whenever we had an extra 90 seconds or so. I guess that's why most soldiers eat fast even after they leave the military. It was more grazing than actually feeding. I also carried my water and ammo on me at all times, so that I wouldn't lose them either. All the other stuff was less important, and kept in the rucksack.

At some point during the day (I don't remember times for most of our activities, as our days were 24 hours long) we hiked over to the rappel tower to learn how to do that particular activity. We would be rappelling from time to time down cliffs over the week, and they wanted to make sure we could do it. I had only a figure-eight, rather than a descender, so it made it a little more dicey, but most of the serious rappellers in the group didn't like the descenders anyway, as they are one more piece of gear to haul, and they only improve safety marginally. I was a little concerned about ending up upside down on the rope, especially since we would be providing our own belaying (rather than the instructors), but it worked out okay for me. The tower was about 30 feet high, and I backed up to the edge after the rappel master clipped me in. I slowly stepped off, and then there was that little settling that happens when you approach horizontal. I pushed off and went down about ten feet, braking with my right hand, and quickly realized I should have used the wool inserts in my gloves, as my hand started burning. I pushed off another ten feet, then made it all the way to the ground on the third push. So, this is rappelling! It was a lot of fun. The second trip was with our packs (roughly 30 pounds on this first day), and the third trip was with our packs, weapons, and other extra gear. The extra weight made it a lot harder to control, and made my hand burn a bit more, but thirty feet isn't that far, so it was manageable. Three people fell, but were stopped before they hit the ground by the belayer. One person fell almost all the way down on the first step, and Rod was screaming "falling! falling!" at the top of his voice. I don't know what the belayer was doing, but he must have been distracted, because the guy on the rope ended up upside down and nearly touching the ground. Oops.

Front side of the rappelling tower

Back side of the rappelling tower. The open areas make for nice shooting and observation platforms over the valley.

This side of the tower is used for climbing up, more than rappelling down. You can also see the helicopter skid used for practicing rapelling from a helicopter.

After our rappelling fun, we were given a mission to get to a certain place by a certain time. One member was appointed the Patrol Leader, and two others were appointed fire team leaders. The rest all had assigned spots in the formation, such as point, rear security, outside flanks, etc. I was a fire team leader, which meant that I was responsible for the performance of three other people, and for keeping the patrol leader informed as to our team's status. We started out hiking up a very large hill, and when we got half-way up, we were ambushed from the top. Numerous OpFor members were shooting at us from the tree line on top, and it was sheer pandemonium. Our patrol leader was stunned, and had no idea what orders to give. He was overwhelmed with information from all of us, as well as the terrible pressure to act, and he just seized-up. Most of us performed pretty much the same way the first time we got ambushed when it was our turn to lead. Everyone went off and did their own thing, and it was a long time before order was restored and we were able to continue our mission. There were several instances of our patrol leader giving orders that were basically ignored by the rest of the team who felt that another course of action was better. I made a mental note of this, and resolved to set an example by following orders unquestioningly. This way, when it was my time to lead, I would be able to say, "Hey, when you were the leader, I followed your orders to the letter. Why don't you help me out here and do the same thing for me?" There were also certain people who were more inclined to not play along than others, so I made a note to speak to them right away when I was the leader. We were being graded on our ability to accomplish our missions, and in the end, no matter who screwed up, it would be the leader's responsibility. His ability to inspire the others to work together would be key in being successful.

After this major screw-up, we were made to get into the "front leaning rest position," which is the position one assumes when one is about to do push-ups. Rod made us stay in that position until people started falling over, which took several minutes. It was hard to do, but a couple of the guys were really not in great shape, so I was not one of the unlucky ones to fall over and then get yelled at and made to do even more.

A nice view of how foggy it gets in the mountains of West Virgina, especially in the morning. Lots of people could be hiding in there!

The rest of the day centered largely on patrolling techniques and formations. We were ambushed again, and this time we did much better. Everyone started to gel a little bit, so we didn't get our asses handed to us too badly this time.

Just before dark, we hiked over to the shoot house, which they use for other types of close quarters battle classes. We were given an opportunity to get our stuff squared away, and I ended up getting rid of a few things and acquiring a few others. By this time, it seemed like the third day or so, but it was only eighteen hours into the first. We were told we could spend the night in the shoot house, which, for those of you who have accompanied me to other classes, is similar to what you'd expect. It's not a whole lot better than a shack, and hardly resembles an actual house. We set up a watch schedule, and I drew the 2:00 to 3:00 watch. I got to sleep by 12:00 or so, which was difficult because a couple of the guys snored really loudly. I put my earplugs in, which got rid of the snoring, but some others couldn't sleep at all, and were up snapping ammo into magazines and other noisy tasks all night. I knew enough to sleep whenever I got the opportunity, because we might not get another chance for a while. By the time it was my watch, everyone had fallen asleep, and I got up and checked my weapon, then went outside. We were told that the OpFor had Russian Generation 2 night vision, and since I didn't have any, I knew that if they decided to mess with us tonight I'd be the first to get whacked. I moved out a bit from the structure and sat in some tall grass, hoping that I might be able to see them before they saw me, so that I could at least get a few shots off and warn everyone. Every now and then I got up and walked around, which might not have been very smart, but it helped to keep me alert. At 3:00 I wasn't very tired, so I let the next guy have another 15 minutes, then I went inside and sat back down on the ground. I lay there awake for about another hour, and then we had to get up for the next day's activity. Total sleep for this evening: 2 hours.

Travis, all camoed-up. This guy's a Neurosugeon?

Preview of tomorrow's activity: More ambushes, learning how to do a leader's recon, artillery support, I lose my rucksack, psychological operations, more physical exertion, even less sleep.

See attached photo of the rappel tower. You can see some people in the foreground for perspective.

•••

As I mentioned, the second day started for us at 4:00 AM after two hours of sleep. A light rain was falling, and the corrugated tin roof made more noise than the amount of rain justified. Each drop was a distinct pinprick upon my consciousness, yet the aggregate resulted in a collective din. It's weird how sleep deprivation will cause you to see and hear the world in layers.

I had some time to reflect upon my teammates. John and Travis I described earlier. Another teammate was Rich, whom we all called "Goodman" because he looked like John Goodman. He was a big guy, and had lagged behind a lot during the previous day. We allowed him to sleep the entire night without standing watch. He was a professional photographer, and was a pretty good guy. Joe was the oldest teammate, and had a great personality. He was also challenged by the physical exertion, but he never really let it get him down, except for the amount that it slowed the rest of us. He felt pretty badly about that. Rod (a different Rod than the instructor) was a burly guy who was a little closer to my age. He was soft-spoken and even-tempered. I could tell that he would be reliable. Bart was my age, and was a member of the Los Angeles film scene. He had written, directed, and produced a few movies, and was currently dating a girl who was friends with Jenna Jameson. Maybe some of you know who she is. We called him "Hollywood." Scott was perhaps the most interesting of the group, and I never really did figure him out. He had a natural skill at this sort of thing, but seemed to go a little nuts as the time passed. By the third day or so, he started making some weird decisions, and at times seemed even a little delirious. Despite this, I found him to be a great guy, and he certainly took the experience more seriously than anyone else. There were two others in our group, but they dropped out before the first day, and I never got a chance to know them.

Navigational tools used to get from one place to another. **** up this part led to severe and immediate "negative reinforcement," which is a fancy way of saying "lots of yelling and smacks on the head."

My eye was irritated from getting CLP in it during the night. I had cleaned my M4 in the dark, and had gotten the solvent in my eye when I wiped it with my dirty hand. I had also helped a number of the others who were unfamiliar with the M16 series of weapons with theirs, so I was pretty filthy. We had to pack up our gear in the dark, and were not allowed to use any kind of illumination, so that was a bit of a challenge. I had spread out all my stuff and slept wrapped up in a poncho liner, but I'm pretty sure I got it all back in my ruck. Our mission this morning was to recon a farmhouse on the other side of the center. It was pretty close, so at least we didn't have to hike too far with all of our packs and heavier gear. The center was a hundred acres or so, but was surrounded by many square miles of government land, and Rod had no problem using this land for our purposes. It took me a few days to realize this, but I came to really respect the chances Rod takes to give his students the best training experience he can offer. He will risk getting in trouble with the Federales or even injuries to make sure that everything is as real as we can get.

The farmhouse was in the middle of a clearing that was bordered on one side by a large hilltop and on the other by a dense tree line. Joe had been the patrol leader the day before, and Bart was our leader today. We discussed the situation, and decided to send one group of three people off to the right and the tree line, and a group of two, one of whom was I, to the left and get as close as we could in the tall grass. We had to go through some really thick thorny stuff, and it was judged that our mission would take longer. I was the assistant patrol leader for this mission, so I technically outranked Scott, but his familiarity with the center made it obvious that I should get his input on how to proceed, and then most likely accept his recommendation. (Bart and I were the only two who had never been here before.)

Scott, taking a break. These short naps were pretty much the only sleep we got for five days. You learned to drop-off effortlessly after a couple of days.

Scott was on point most of the time, and I put most of my attention to our rear to keep the OpFor from bushwhacking us. Sure enough, after we had gotten as far as we could go toward the farmhouse, I began to sense that someone was following us. I don't know precisely what it was, but I could just tell that someone was back there. I let Scott know what was going on, and then told him to circle back around so that we could lay an ambush for whomever was back there. This way your own trail continues in the same direction and leads whomever is behind you past your new position, and you can surprise them. After a few minutes, we could hear someone creeping up on us. There was a lot of tension, and I found myself lightly rubbing my M4's safety against my thumb. The brush parted and out popped one of our instructors with one of the OpFor team members. I challenged them with the password, and the instructor told us to stand down. He sent the OpFor guy away. He then sat us down and quizzed us on our movement over the last couple of hours. He wanted to know when we noticed we were being followed, and had numerous other questions for us. He then berated us for leaving enough of a trail that he could follow, and told us to continue the mission. So much for praising us that we sensed him coming, but I had learned by now that they practice more negative reinforcement than positive. I guess if you're not doing push ups, you must be doing something right.

We completed our recon, and made drawings of what we saw. We made notes of how many windows the house had, which way the doors and windows opened, the fact that there were holes in the roof, tire tracks leading to the house, and a number of other details we had no idea whether would be important. We compared notes, and created two copies of our map so that if one of us was "killed" on the way back, we would both be able to bring back our intel. Just as we were finishing this, a four-wheeler started coming toward us, and we really got nervous. We hunkered down low, but it was obvious they were looking for us. Over the next several hours, we would crawl a few yards, to another thorny bush, and generally play hide-and-seek with the OpFor. Low crawling is not something that is easy, and when you toss in the thorns and rocks and everything else, plus make it last all day, it really wears you out.

Me, during a side trip somewhere. I've got my smaller "day pack" and a lot less gear, so this must have been taken when a couple of us went to scout something.

When we got back to our recon rally point, we updated Bart on what we saw. He then got a warning order from the cadre that we would be raiding the farmhouse. We created a sand table of the objective while he wrote out an operations order utilizing the SMESC format, which stands for Situation, Mission, Execution, Service support, Command/signals. While he did this, our Ranger officer came by to speak to us. He asked how we were doing, and listened to us bitch a bit about lack of sleep, etc. He then told us that it would not get any easier from here on out, and that in fact it would get increasingly tougher. He said that the five days we would be in the field would be harder than any five days in the regular-length Ranger school, and that at the end we would be exposed to a more intense level of stress than he ever was when he did it. The only difference would be that we would know that our course would only last five days, whereas when he took the course, even though the days were shorter and less stressful, he knew that it would take 72 days. I can't imagine doing this for that long, and I have a lot of respect for those who have done it.

Just as we were about to hit the farmhouse, our mission was changed. We now had to hump across two hills to a new objective rally point, where we would stay the night. We were given map coordinates and the time we were to be in position. The change in the mission was never explained, and this lack of communication and understanding adds to the frustration. It's all part of the plan.

My day pack and weapon. Note the red "blank firing attachment" on the business end of the rifle. This device allows your weapon to function when shooting blanks. Note also the black tape on the stock latch, sling swivels, and power knob for the Aimpoint scope. This keeps your weapon from making a lot of rattling noises, and keeps your scope from getting turned on by accident. Soldiers use more duct and electrical tape than even electricians.

This is Travis's rifle. Some guys like to paint theirs so they blend in a bit better. Looks kind of neat, too.

As soon as we got half-way up the first hill, the OpFor cut loose on us. Everyone dropped their rucks and fell into defensive positions. Half the team wanted to assault up the hill, while the others wanted to go back down, re-group, and try to flank. Bart made the decision to go back down, so most of us started down. I grabbed my ruck and brought it with me, but, after 100 yards or so, I realized that no one else grabbed his. I dropped mine. We then regrouped, and realized that one of our guys, Goodman, was still up there. He began yelling at us to come back up and assault up the hill. I was shocked. I couldn't believe that he would risk the entire team by deliberately staying behind like that. Scott and I flanked a bit to the left and laid down covering fire on the top of the hill while the others flanked around to the right up the side of the hill. It took a while, but we managed to push the OpFor off the hill. Our gear was scattered all over. I realized that Goodman's reason for not going down the hill was only because he didn't want to have to go back up it. He was really not handling the physical exertion very well at this point, and it was affecting his decisions. Scott and I were the only two left at the bottom of the hill, so it fell to us to bring all the rucks up to the top. I can't believe I carried four fifty-pound packs up that hill (several hundred yards seemingly straight up) in two trips, but I did it.

One ruck we were not able to find, however, was mine. I didn't care about the food and clothing that was in it, and I had all my water and ammo with me in my pockets and on my LBE. I knew exactly where I had dropped it, and in fact had marked the spot in my mind, knowing that it was in a different spot than the others, and thus might be tough to find. I told Bart that I thought the OpFor had stolen it, and that looking for it would only waste time. We still had to get to our site by the appointed time, and we were getting tight. At this point, the instructor stepped in and said that the OpFor had not taken the ruck, but that if we left it, they would take it, and I wouldn't get it back. Like, ever. Well, if it had been my ruck, I wouldn't have cared, but I had borrowed it from a close friend for whom it had a lot of sentimental value. Over the years and through several conflicts, including the Gulf War, he had painstakingly modified and improved it so that it really didn't even resemble the standard pack, and in fact a lot of the guys had commented on how awesome it was. There was no way I was going to lose it for good, so I told Bart to go on ahead, and I would catch up with them later. I had a map and a compass, and felt that I could probably find them. I wasn't going to be responsible for the team failing, but I wasn't going to let down my friend, either. I would drop out of the course if I had to.

Bart made the decision to send both me and Scott down to look for it, and for the rest of the team to wait for us. In the end, he decided that we would all fail or succeed together, and I respect him for that. I could have argued my case again that I didn't want the team to fail because of me, but I had already made my case, and he had made his decision. In keeping with my promise to myself to comply with whatever decisions were made by whoever was the team leader at the time, I said, "you got it," and took off down the hill with Scott. Twenty minutes later, we found the ruck in some very tall grass. It wasn't anywhere near where I thought I left it. That proved to me that no matter how certain you are of something, processing information while under stress leads to errors.

We humped like hell to get to our rally point by dark, and we barely made it. Everyone, even the two out-of-shape guys, busted ass to make up for my mistake. It's something that marked a bit of a turning point for the team; we were starting to work together. We set up our lay-up spot for the night. We teamed-up on four points, two men to a spot. We would sleep in shifts. We were told that we had until daylight to sleep. That translated to about eight hours, which seemed like a Caribbean vacation to guys who had exerted as much as we had with no sleep and little food. My partner was Goodman, and we set up so that we were touching. Scott was now the patrol leader, and he came by to tell us not to shoot at anything, no matter what. He didn't care if someone walked right on top of us, we were not to shoot unless he did. He was really quite adamant about it. This would end up making a huge difference, and ultimately would result in us getting a passing grade for this exercise. He also gave us our escape and evasion routes, and the locations of our rally points in case we had to leave in a hurry. If we had to evacuate, he would yell to take either the blue E&E route or the gold E&E route. Blue was zero degrees on the compass, while gold was 180 degrees. We all had tritium inserts in our compasses, so we could see them at night.

One of the "objectives" during the course. "Get to the top of that hill, without being seen, and do it in an hour!"

By this time the cadre had decided we could use our night vision gear, and both Travis and John had really high-tech ITT Generation Three goggles (the doctors had all the high-speed stuff--go figure). This didn't help me though, as I didn't have any. I would have to rely on them to really know what was going on. I took the first watch between Goodman and me, and it wasn't long before I started hearing movement. The forest at night makes an unbelievable amount of noise, and I knew this. When you start hearing lots of branches snapping, and trees shaking, you know that something human is out there. Deer and other animals will make a lot of noise at night, but it was obvious that these were people, and they were trying to get us to shoot at them. Goodman started snoring, so I kept kicking him to get him to wake up. This happened about every ten minutes or so. I can't believe how motionless I was able to stay. I wasn't tired a bit, but the lack of REM sleep had taken its toll on me, and I started hallucinating badly. I knew that the things I was seeing were not really there, but I also knew that there really were people out there, so it made for a really hellish night. Pretty soon, someone started speaking over a bullhorn several hundred yards away. They taunted us, and called us all sorts of names. They played the sound of chickens being strangled. They rustled tree branches and flashed lights and flares all around. This was all an effort to get us to give away our position, and also to keep us up all night. No one gave us away, but no one slept either, except for Goodman, but he only slept for a couple of minutes at a time until I would kick him again. At one point, someone walked right up to my position. I very slowly applied a lot of pressure inward on my safety to keep it from snapping, then I pushed it down noiselessly. I had the weapon already pointed in the right direction, and had spent a lot of time noise-proofing it by taping down the sling swivels, stock latch, and blank firing adapter. I was ready to light this guy up. I waited for Scott to fire, but he never did, and I remembered that he said not to shoot no matter what unless he did. I held my fire, and the OpFor slinked away. I slowly put my safety back on, and took my first breath in what seemed like several minutes.

After another hour or so, the noises stopped completely. I figured I could now get some sleep, but then Scott came up and told us we had a warning order, and now had to get ready to move. We had only been in position for three hours, and it was now 2:00 AM. I had not slept at all. We had made the mistake of pulling out all our stuff, thinking that when we left it would be daylight and we would be able to find everything. I was now forced to find all of my stuff (food, water, ammo, bedroll, poncho liner, bungee cords, pack, etc.) in the dark. I’m certain I left a few things behind.

It was so dark that we could only see the strips of luminous tape (called "cat eyes") we had sewn to the back of our caps. Thanks, Ross, for doing this for me. We had to hold onto the pack of the guy in front of us, and hope that we didn't stumble on anything. We were taken to an especially thick section of thorny stuff, and then, after working our way through that, we went to a hill that was nothing but boulders. It took us at least an hour to work our way down this hill, and I couldn't believe that no one broke an ankle. All of us stumbled several times. It was at this point that I really questioned what I was doing here. I thought I had taken this class to learn land navigation, rappelling, and a few tactical things that would complement some of the other courses I had taken. Instead, I was getting sleep- and food-deprived, and was risking serious injury. My feet by this time were pretty well destroyed, and I had huge blister sacks hanging off of them. Even as I write this, they still look like hell. I was dirty, smelly, and had been hallucinating. I thought about what I had given up to be here; a week's vacation time, time with my son, time away from work, and the chance to spend a week on my new boat. I decided to take stock of my situation in the morning, and to consider leaving. I didn't really consider it quitting, as it wasn't really that difficult, it just wasn't what I came for. I think that must be the rationalization that one uses when one considers quitting, because later the next day, when others started saying the exact same things to me, it sure sounded like quitting to me. More on this later.

We got to a steep cliff. There were three partisan commandos there. The scenario for the whole week was that we were a Ranger team assisting local governments and partisans in their efforts against the drug cartels. Their leader was going to show us the location of a hidden rappelling site. We got out our harnesses and snap links, and prepared to rappel over this cliff in the pitch blackness of the night. At this point I didn't even care that I might get killed, I just wanted to get through this. The partisan leader would only show us the way if we gave him some of our gear. We got a bunch of MREs and other stuff together and gave it to him. Then he wanted a weapon. Scott refused to give him a weapon, but suggested one of our night-vision devices. He agreed, but when he tried to get one from John, John told Scott to tell the guy that the device was a mission-critical piece of equipment, and he wasn't going to give it up. I think John just didn't want to part with his $3,000 NVGs. At any rate, an argument ensued, and the partisan commander pointed his weapon at Scott. Scott tried to calm the situation, but all of us were a bit keyed-up by this point, and were all pointing our weapons at the partisan commander. He pulled his trigger, and killed Scott, and then we all killed him and his two buddies. It was a pretty loud twenty seconds or so. When it was over, there was a heavy cordite smell in the air, and all the wildlife was shocked into silence. Anyone nearby not affiliated with our group must have wondered what the hell was going on, this all being State land and all. The instructors backed up a bit, and told us to continue on as though it hadn't happened. They showed us where the rappelling line was, and we all made it down in one piece. When I shoved off into the blackness, it felt like I was being swallowed whole by some immense creature. Surreal.

Bart writes map coordinates on his wrist. It's a good way of not forgetting them, and having them with you even if you lose your map case, which is likely. Not marking up your map a lot also helps if you get "killed" and your stuff gets examined by the bad guys.

Precisely where days two and three divide each other is a bit problematic at this point since we did not sleep at all, and we never even stopped to rest. The sun came up, and we reconned another farmhouse and barn. I have this distinct memory of sitting back, after the recon, listening to everyone bitch about the previous night, and thinking it was about 4:00 PM. I looked at my watch, and it was just turning 7:00 AM. Crazy.

Our Ranger NCO told us that the OpFor had looked for us all night, but had not gotten us to show ourselves. They had been told where our general location was, but not specifically. They tried to find us, but could not. Their plan was to throw CS (tear gas) grenades into our position if they found us to teach us to never give away our position. I'm really glad we didn't have to go through that. Our instructor told us that the OpFor had never failed to find the team before, so the fact that we remained hidden was a huge compliment.

Travis and John, taking advantage of a break in the action.

Tomorrow: We raid the barn, learn about booby-traps the hard way, construct and cross a rope-bridge while under fire, learn how to interrogate prisoners and search bodies without getting blown-up, and get to use the modern miracle of close-air support, a la AC130 gunship.

Photos Attached: Terrain map of the Operations Area for the day. Bart writing azimuths and coordinates on his wrists.

•••
David

Re: Review: Storm Mountain Patrolling Course

Postby David on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 pm

I watch as my son lines up all of his Matchbox cars. He is so terribly precise, so completely thorough. He always ends up with exactly the right amount of space on his track to fill in with no cars left over. I wonder sometimes if he will ever grow up. I hope not. He looks up at me and giggles. "Look, Daddy, a driveway!" I smile, and wish life were that complicated for me again.

"Hey, Dave, warning order, two minutes." I open my eyes and see Joe's filthy face inches from mine. His breath is unmentionable. He frowns, and flashes me the "okay" sign, a questioning look on his grizzled face, asking if I'm all right. I give him the finger, and then turn around to pass the message back to the next person in line. I had closed my eyes for a moment, and an image of my son streamed unbidden into my consciousness. The sudden change made me want to cry. I found during the week that thinking of him, even for just a moment, was like getting an hour's sleep.

We were leaning on our rucks in what's referred to as a "Ranger Line," which is a fancy, manly way of saying all in a row. Our leader was looking at his map and compass and trying to hurriedly write an operations order for the next mission. The sun was fighting its way over the mountain to the east. Dense fog curled its way between the low spots, while the peaks were all gloriously exposed, giving the countryside a surreal glow that can't be adequately described. I had a moment to realize that the beauty of this place would, in any other circumstance, inspire me to want to live here, or at least write something about it. In my current state of mind, however, I didn't give a ****, and just wanted to sleep, though I knew I wouldn't be able to even if I had the time. When you are this exhausted, and have the prospect of an arduous, lengthy mission ahead of you, your brain gives you a deliriously wonderful sense of acceptance, and you just want to get on with it. I had wondered about this on the first day. You'd think that frequent stops when you're loaded down with all sorts of crap would be a welcome chance to sit down and rest, even if it's just for a couple of minutes. Instead, when the man in front of you signals to stop, freeze, or get down, all you can think is, "what the hell are we stopping NOW for? Let's just GET THERE." Of course, getting up when you are wearing a fifty-pound rucksack, an eight pound weapon, ten pounds of water, ten pounds of ammo, and whatever everything else weighs is not fun. It's better just to stand, no matter how tired you are.

The power poles in the far distance are one of our objectives.

The leader made the signal to rally on him (a twirling motion over his head) and we all gathered around. I looked around, and took stock of our team. Everyone looked as ******* and wasted as I felt. No one was complaining though, and everyone gave his attention to the task at hand. Our mission was to recon another structure. We were told there might be instructors in the building with binoculars looking to see if we were exposing ourselves during the recon. I am elected to perform the close-in observation, and I borrow Rich's M4, which has an ACOG sight on it (with a magnification factor of 4X—I had an Aimpoint Comp M red-dot scope with no magnification on my M4). I crawl up to the site and spend an hour glassing the area and collecting as much detail as I can. I come back with a map of what I saw from both angles, and I compare with the others who were on the other sides. We construct a sand table and go over phase two, which is to assault the building, which is a drug processing facility. It is heavily defended, and we are given AC130 gunship support for this raid. An AC130 is a four-engined C130 cargo transport aircraft which has been converted to a close air support role. It has 20 MM and 7.62 caliber gattling guns in it, as well as one or two 105 MM fast-firing howitzers. I have never seen one firing in person, and ours were merely conceptual rather than real, but we had to be familiar with their capabilities so that we could utilize them without getting ourselves killed. We had to know how close we could direct their fire, and had to be able to coordinate with them over the radio. When they fire at night, they fire so fast that what you see from the ground looks like laser beams chewing up the target (from the tracer rounds—which are bullets with burning magnesium on them, placed only one in every five rounds). My understanding is that this is one of the most terrible weapons that can be visited upon someone within its radius of effectiveness. The sound of the guns is a ripping, chain saw noise that gives you the impression that the sky is being shredded.

Our mission would start with an AC130 strike on the target. As soon as they stopped firing, we would rush in and attack the facility on foot. We were to neutralize any remaining OpFor, search their bodies for documents and other intel, and then destroy the rest of the site with explosives. John was our leader by this point, and he detailed his plan. He was cool and professional, just like you'd expect from an ER doc, and also if you know him. We split into two assault groups, and one lone sniper. My job was to run around to the far side of the building and clear the windows and doors. I would then enter the structure and clear my assigned room, and then search all the bodies. This would be a dynamic raid, unlike what some of you have learned at Gunsite and other schools, where the emphasis is on safety rather than speed. In law enforcement, you essentially have all day as you completely outnumber the bad guys and can control the surrounding area. Thus, you can enter and clear buildings with many people and go slowly. In the type of raid we were planning, we needed a more dynamic solution, as we had only three minutes to clear, search, and then set our demolitions. A certain number of friendly casualties is acceptable, while in the law enforcement world no number of friendly casualties is acceptable.

At the appointed time, the AC130 attacked, which was simulated with a fast string of artillery simulators. They are essentially really large flash/bang charges, and are quite loud. When the attack was waning, we all ran in to do our thing. John, Travis, and I had worked this type of thing together at other schools, so it went extremely well. We cleared our assigned zones by running at angles to the windows and other openings, shooting into them at the same time. As I ran around to the back side of the building, an OpFor member leaned out and tossed a grenade at me just as I shot him. It landed right in front of me and went off just as I ran over it. Had it been a real grenade, I would have been in pieces, but, if you want to split hairs, he would never have gotten an opportunity to throw it. Nonetheless, when it went off I experienced the most intense pressure I think I have ever felt. There was nothing in between the grenade and me, so I felt the forceful impact of the shockwave very clearly, and it seemed to noticeably move me to the side. These things are intended to disorient, and if I hadn't been focused and expecting a fight, it would have completely knocked me out of the fight for a while. I remember thinking, as I continued around the corner without stopping, I wonder if I'm injured? Stuff can get thrown around when these things go off, and the shock was so severe I don't know if I would have felt it if a rock or something had gone into me.

I entered the building and an OpFor member popped up from behind a desk. I gave him three shots to the chest, and then punched him out of the way with the muzzle of my weapon. The OpFor was told to be merciless with us, and we were told to not go soft on them either. There were plenty of times where we got pretty physical with each other. There was a lot of firing in other areas of the house, and we had set up to try to minimize the chance of a stray round punching through the wall and hitting our own guys, but you never know. I have always been impressed by the lack of extra bullet holes is the shoot houses at Gunsite, and have learned that in the hands of a skilled shooter, there shouldn't be any misses at close range, but your average army infantryman doesn't generally have that type of training and skill, so I wondered if this type of approach would have worked well in anything other than a skilled Ranger or Delta unit. Later, when we switched to live ammo shooting at steel targets interspersed with what we thought were real hostages, I would become really uncomfortable with the shooting skills of some of the team members who had never gotten the type of CQB training John, Travis, and I had.

Everyone yelled that their zones were clear, and John and I went to work searching the bodies while Joe and Rich started setting their demolitions charges. The others provided rear security. Each body had received additional attention after the fight was over, so there was no fear that they were playing dead. In case that seems a bit vague, what I mean is that each body as you run by it gets two extra rounds in the head. That may sound a bit…um…mean, but you don't want someone sitting up after you run by and shooting you in the back.

Scott relays instructions to me as we prepare to recon one of the objectives during his time as leader.

The procedure for searching a body needs to be followed precisely but can be done quickly. I would lay on top of the body and grab one side while John would stand next to me. I would slowly roll the body over so that if there were any booby-traps, John would see them and I could set the body back down. If the trap were to go off, the body would protect me, but John might get a sprinkle. The trick was to go slowly. After it was established that the body was not booby-trapped, I would go through each pocket and compartment, including magazine pouches and vests, and put everything I could find in my pockets. I didn't waste time trying to assess its potential value, I just collected everything. We decided that since the OpFor would steal our stuff if given the chance, any food, ammo, or other items we wanted (besides weapons) we would take. I got some extra ammo that way. It felt a little weird at first laying on top of some sweaty guy I had just killed to roll him over. It didn't matter whether he was face-up or -down, you just did it and didn't pay any attention to the fact that it was a real person. The OpFor, to their credit, played dead very well, and didn't help us at all. In fact, they were, in some cases, laying in some pretty contorted positions, which would result in us having to be kind of rough with them. These guys were really responsible for us getting such a great training experience, and I can't possibly give them enough credit. I found out later that they were all volunteers, taking time off from work and families, with no pay at all.

There were five bodies in all, and I took a lot of stuff off of them. Lots of maps, notebooks, ammo, etc. Most of the important stuff I found in out-of-the-way spots, like shirt pockets underneath vests and LBE. They were obviously hoping that we would not be thorough. Our mission would be considered a failure if we did not find a certain code book, but we did not have the time to look through everything to verify that we found it. We were running out of time, so we all regrouped and then moved out for the tree line. Rich blew the explosives, which, again, were simulators, but they made a pretty satisfying noise anyway. We made our deadline by only ten seconds. When we looked through the stuff I had collected, we found a notebook that had all of their codes and mission parameters in it. I remembered where I had found it: the guy had stuck it in a shirt pocket underneath his vest. I was glad I had been that thorough, since it would have been easy to miss. They had cleverly left a few messages for us in it (OpFor Rules!, Rangers Suck!, etc.), and had personalized some of their missions just for us (capture a Ranger doctor, for example, which was obviously intended to make John and Travis nervous). Some of these guys had pretty wry senses of humor, and we found ourselves liking and respecting them.

The scenery in West Virginia is really quite stunning. Storm Mountain is nestled in the Appalachian Mountains, and the weather gets kind of interesting as well. Here you can see a lot of fog below us in the early morning that is in the process of being burned off by the sun. Most mornings looked like this.

We thought that at this point we might get a chance to lay-up for awhile and eat, drink, and be merry, maybe even get a re-supply from our designated supply helicopter. No such luck. We were given a map location and a time to get there. It wasn't too far, luckily, and when we arrived, we did in fact have a chance to sit around for an hour or so. It was now about 8:00 AM, but it felt like the late afternoon. I couldn't even tell what day it was. Most people think of days in terms of an eight-hour workday, but we were into a 72-hour "day" at this point, and were clueless about how much time had passed.

During our rest period, some of the guys started to bitch a bit. A few of them did not think they would be able to make it. I indicated that I thought (I would come to reverse my opinion on this later) the march last night over the rocks was pointless and dangerous, and was not what I came here for, but that I thought things were starting to shape-up a bit. The raid we had just come off of was both very successful and a learning experience, since we all had to come together to accomplish it as well as we did. Several of the others said they were probably going to quit, and gave the same lame reasons I had given myself last night. Hearing others say that they were quitting not because it was hard, but that they just weren't learning what they came for, and were giving up a lot to be here, made me realize how dangerously "reasonable" this line of thinking sounds to yourself. It's how you convince yourself to quit when you know you don't want to be a quitter. Rationalizing makes the decision to quit easier, and makes quitting seem somehow to be prudent, rather than just quitting because you can't hack it. I decided right then that I would not quit no matter what they threw at me, even if I didn't get any more sleep for the rest of the week, and no matter what they made us do. The Ranger creed states that each Ranger will continue the mission "though I be the only survivor," which means he won't give up even if he is the last man. I knew I wasn't anything like a Ranger, but I applied this concept to making it through the course, and locked-in my mindset.

Some of them wanted to talk to the instructors about modifying the course to focus more on fieldcraft and less on exertion and teamwork. When the instructors came back, they broached this subject, and the Ranger officer listened patiently and then said that he would take it under advisement.

Travis, taking a sip from his Camelback during a quick stop. That's Joe in front.

We then got up and humped over to a river that wended its way between two hills. It was densely wooded in there, and there was a length of rope to use in crossing it. The process for doing this is to hook your pack onto the line with a snaplink, and also hook yourself, using your rappelling harness and a snaplink, to the line as well. A teammate shoves your pack as hard as he can while two others throw you at the same time so that when you hit your pack it is still moving, and thus slows you down less. You then go hand over hand and foot over foot across the chasm, pushing your ruck the whole way. Getting yourself off the rope at the end can be tricky, especially if you are the first guy across and there is no one to help you, but also if the rope goes upward at all at the end, which it usually does. You have to arch your back and try to push your pelvis against the rope to relieve the tension, and then unsnap your link, all while holding your body up with one arm hooked around at the elbow. We sent the first guy across, and he made it just fine. When the second guy was half-way across, the OpFor chose that moment to attack us from the far side. It was what's known as a far ambush, rather than a near ambush, so the tactics you use are somewhat different. In a near ambush, you don't have to issue too many orders because, well, most of you just die right away. Those who do not die right away know to always counterattack right through an ambush, so orders are usually not necessary there either. In a far ambush, there are a number of options, most of which are dictated by the terrain as well as the mission parameters. When you've got two men on the other side, your options are a bit limited because Americans in general and Rangers in particular do not leave anyone behind, even if they get killed.

Our leadership decided to have the rest of the patrol lay down suppression and covering fire, while one person at a time would cross the rope. Once on the other side, each person would add his own volume of fire, and once enough people were across, we would mount a counterattack. I stayed until the end on the far side, and my weapon was smoking hot when it was my turn to cross. I had fired over 300 rounds in a few minutes. I realized at this point that the barrel of my weapon, which was strapped to my pack, was facing me. When I slid down the rope, my face came millimeters from hitting my barrel, which would have resulted in a hideous burn. I was glad I realized this at the last second and moved my face out of the way. All the black tape on my blank firing adapter was melted and smoking. It was a real wake-up call.

Once on the other side, we organized a counterattack, and it fell to me to flank around with two other teammates. No specific orders were given on how to do this, and I was glad, because everyone's idea of flanking maneuvers up to now had been ridiculously inadequate. They would only flank a little off to the side, and thus you had really two frontal attacks at slightly different angles, which didn't do any good. I knew from playing years of paintball that the way to flank was to swing wide and come in from no less than 90 degrees offset, or even 160 or so if you could. I swung us way wide, and we ran our asses off to get behind these guys, and when we did, we rolled them up like they were amateurs. At first one of our guys wanted to sit down behind them and start shooting from thirty yards away, but I pulled him up by his recovery strap and told him to follow me. We ran right into their midst and shot them all as we ran by. The OpFor in the front couldn't distinguish our fire from their teammates behind them, so each OpFor member's realization that he was in trouble came only after we ran right by and shot him. I felt lucky that they were not using AKs, which make a dramatically different sound than the M16 series of rifles. It felt great to be vindicated in this manner. I had been waiting for an opportunity to properly flank a position, as it is a very satisfying experience.

The radio tower WAAAYY in the distance is one of the objectives.

We regrouped back on top of the hill and the Ranger Officer came up to me and said, "It's your turn. You're the leader. Take charge and move the patrol to this location on the map. Get LACE reports from your fire team leaders, and then report to me on your status. I'll get a re-supply to you." I was a bit shocked. I had wanted it to be my turn to lead, but now that it was here, I was intimidated. I told everyone that the leadership change had occurred, and assigned new fire team leaders. Some of them looked at me like I was supposed to know what to do. Others looked at me like they didn’t want to listen to me. It didn't seem so easy now. I started to feel the first tinges of self-doubt and impending failure. These guys would not follow me automatically. I had to inspire them somehow to work together better than we had so far.

We moved to our new lay-up position and I had the fire team leaders collect LACE reports, which are intended to give the leader an idea of the status of liquids, ammo, casualties, and equipment. We were woefully under-equipped because of our recent protracted firefight. One member, Scott, had a sprained ankle; most members' feet were in terrible condition, including mine; and there were several deep cuts. I was bleeding pretty heavily from a nasty cut on one of my fingers. I had no idea how I had gotten it. The lower receiver, trigger group, grip, and magazine on my weapon were coated with blood mixed with dirt, and it had a ghastly appearance. We were told on the first day that an injury is something that prevents you from accomplishing your mission. Everything else is just a "hurt." Thus, when I asked for the LACE report, there were no injuries reported, not even Scott's sprain. John attended to some of the "hurts," and I couldn't get my socks off for fear that too much skin would come with them. Blood, blister fluid, and dirt had congealed into a crusty mess. I soaked them in water and finally got them off without too much damage. I changed socks, loaded my boots up with powder, and put them back on. It stopped hurting after a couple of hours, but I think I just got used to it. John distributed some painkillers to everyone. Travis suggested an SF technique of sucking out the blisters with syringes and then injecting sodium benzoate, which is one of the most acutely painful things a person can do to one's body, but which, after a few hours, makes the spot harden into a tough, permanent callus. He didn't have any with him though, so it became a moot point.

Taking a break during the first day inside the rappelling tower.

I decided at this point to have a talk with the team. I had put out security, so a couple of members were not close enough to hear, but I had purposely chosen John and Travis to be on the perimeter, knowing that the people who needed to hear this were the less-reliable ones. I told them that while I hadn't said anything up to this point, I was really unimpressed with the team's ability to work together, and especially to obey orders. I told them that I didn't know much about being a soldier, but I knew something about managing a team, and that after I listened to everyone's input and made a decision, it would be final, and no arguing or disobeying would be tolerated. I told them that a bad plan that is executed well is better than the best plan that is executed poorly, so the key to our success tomorrow would be everyone doing what his assigned tasks were without question. I told them that I could be a dick or I could be a good, thoughtful leader, and it was up to them. I had already gotten the support of John, Travis, Joe, and Scott, mostly from either knowing them a long time or simply because I think they understood the concept, but Rich, Rod, and Bart would give me problems. Rich was just too wiped-out, and was starting to get lazy due to exhaustion. Rod seemed to think this was a democracy, but I knew that if he bought into the plan he would be rock-steady. Bart had his own ideas about everything, and while I knew that in the real world I would probably get along the best with him (we were a lot alike), out here it would be tough. I obeyed him without question when he was the leader, and I hoped that he would give me the same now. As it was, I don't think many of them listened too closely to my little speech. Everyone was just too exhausted, and too tired of others trying to take charge, since we were changing leaders every day.

Looking gaunt, wired, and a few pounds lighter. This is toward the end of the course.

We got our re-supply, and I established new radio codes and field passwords. We used running fives, which means that if you were challenged by someone saying "two" you would respond by saying "three." You simply responded with whatever added together to make five. Rod (the owner) came by at this point and decided that we didn't need all this rest. He had us line up and do leg raises and other fun activities for while. We were grateful for the extra excitement (not). Then he asked everyone to gather around. We did so, and I could feel a tension in the air that was palpable. He said, "okay, what are your bitches." The Ranger officer had relayed the group's complaints from this morning, and Rod wanted to have it out. Most of the group had been here before, and knew that Rod can get pretty testy. They were all terrified of him. He was quite the imposing guy, but I was still surprised that none of these guys would face-up to him if they felt they had legitimate concerns.

No one spoke up, so he said, "Oh, okay, you have no issues, well then we'll just continue on as we have been doing," and he started to leave. I felt that even though I had no issues by this point, I was the leader, so it fell to me to state the position of the others. I told him that some of the team (I did not identify whom) were getting their butts kicked, and that this was getting in the way of their learning. Some of them were getting really lazy on patrol, and seemed to be getting less out of it. I relayed their concerns about not getting what they had come for. Rod was at first pretty sensitive about this. He had put a lot of effort into this course, and I could see that it was important to him that everyone "get" the intent of the hardships we were facing. I had figured this out earlier in the day, but many of the others had not (yet). Anyone can make decisions and perform when not under stress. You don't learn anything about your capabilities unless you are pushed to the breaking point. It is only then, when you really feel you can go no further, and then someone pushes you more, that you realize that your mental strength is ALWAYS less than your physical strength.

When you feel mentally that you are done, your body is only roughly half done, and you have 100% of the effort you have already given left. Since these complaints were coming roughly half-way through the course, and we all made it until the end, this point was proven to me. And, it didn't get any easier, it got harder.

Bart, just as he's leaping from the brush during an assault on a convoy of trucks.

Some of the concerns about not getting enough instruction on some topics, such as land navigation, were valid, though, and Rod decided to modify the schedule a bit to allow for a little more classroom instruction. We rucked-up, moved out, and humped back to the classroom. Of course, this would eat into our sleep and eat time, but no one complained. Many of them were feeling sheepish about not having stood up and said anything when Rod was there, and I was a little concerned that maybe Rod might think that I was the one who had issues. I don't know why this bothered me; I suppose it was simply vanity on my part. I was getting off on this, and I wanted Rod to know that I appreciated his efforts. One of the instructors pulled me aside the next day and told me that he knew I wasn’t being a complainer. If we were to succeed or fail as a team, then we would bitch or be happy as a team.

We then went out and did a live-fire ambush exercise against steel targets, mainly to verify that everyone could shoot real ammo and not kill anyone accidentally. Tomorrow I would find out precisely why that was important.

We took some time off from training, and were able to have a real meal. We had the opportunity for some real sack-time, but my gear and body needed some attention, so I still didn’t get to sleep until about Midnight. I got a good, uninterrupted four hours though, and it was like heaven.

Tomorrow: I write the OpOrder for the most complicated mission yet; a hostage rescue goes awry; the sky is thick with simulated artillery, close-air support, and helicopters; we have a running gunfight that lasts 20 hours, and takes us to limits we didn't know existed.

Photos attached: Me after a mission, my face paint is badly smeared. Contrary to what the movies portray, the stuff doesn't stay on when you sweat, wipe your face, etc. Scott catching a three-minute nap. Part of the operations area. Lots of hills, huh? Our area extended as far as you can see, and beyond.

The team rallies on me while I talk to our leadership on the radio. In thick brush, you pull into a tight circle to defend all around, and this way you're also close enough that everyone can hear at least half the conversation. That makes it easier to pass information to everyone so that you don't make errors with repetition.

•••
David

Postby David on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 pm

The time is 0400, and we are into our fourth day, although you wouldn't know it because the sun is not yet up. I think I slept a couple of hours. I had vivid dreams that left me wondering if I had really slept. I felt disoriented and a bit disconnected. When I lifted the tube on my Camelback to my mouth my hands were shaking. The combination of sleep deprivation, exertion, and the stress of command was taking its toll on me, and I wondered if I would make a fatal mistake.

I closed my eyes for a moment and replayed the last time I saw my son. I had slid noiselessly into his room at 2:00 AM the day I left, and watched him sleep for a few minutes. He was on his back, arms and legs splayed-out impossibly to the sides, looking like he had collapsed from a hard day of playing. He has the most intricate imagination, and carries on conversations between different characters in the scenes he creates for himself. He sprinkles in vocabulary and colloquialisms he doesn’t even understand that he hears adults and other kids use, and it entertains me for hours. His chest was rising and falling with the rhythm of his slumber. I thought about leaving him for a week, and wondered if it would be worth it. He is easily the most important part of my life.

He stirred briefly, and flopped with a sigh onto his stomach. He tucked his legs under him, and his butt stuck up in the air. My mother always told me that I used to sleep like that, too, and it heartened me to know that a part of me was in him, that we were so intertwined. I can't wait to get to know him better as he passes from a pre-schooler to a little kid. I tear myself away and feel the first tinges of sadness that would haunt me for the next week.

Explosions ripped through the hilltop 100 yards to our front. The image of my three-year-old was replaced by huge flashes and noises that scrambled our insides and assaulted our senses. Soil and branches and rocks flew in every direction. We were getting our first mortar shelling, though it was quite a ways in front of us. Everyone flew to the sides and prayed that this nightmare wasn't real. After a few seconds of this, the shelling stopped and the firefight began. The OpFor was moving rapidly through the area so recently destroyed by the big guns, firing at us as they came. There seemed to be a lot more of them than before. There wasn't time to issue any orders, everyone instinctively got their weapons on line and started firing. I aimed at muzzle flashes, assuming, reasonably I thought, that there was probably a bad guy at the other end of each. Everyone was yelling information back to me, asking me what to do. I was overloaded with information and requests for instructions. For a brief moment I simply locked-up, unable to process or act. I had enough time to realize, in an out-of-body sort of way, as if this was happening to someone else, "so this is what command in a stressful situation is like." It was a lot harder than it looks, and I can completely understand why many, if not most people, simply freeze. After I pondered this, and made my observations, I slowly became able to focus and get down to business.

Somehow we managed to repel the attack. I organized our group back into fire teams and asked for LACE reports. Everyone had plenty of water and ammo, and no one was injured. I thought to myself that had this been a real attack, most of us probably would have perished in the barrage that they purposely sprung early for safety reasons. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be in the middle of that. I moved us out of the area to avoid running into the OpFor, who I knew was aware of our exact position now, and mentally plotted on the map a few possible artillery fire missions of our own, just in case they followed us or were waiting in a few likely ambush sites up ahead. We had been told that if we had fire missions or any other support requests that we should ask for them, and though we might not get them, it would be good practice. I called my superiors and requested that our codes be changed in case the bad guys were on our frequency. I was really awake now.

We were moving into a State Park, and, in keeping with Rod's philosophy, we were taking the chance that we would run into civilians. This would cause major problems, as it is something of a gray area having firefights on public property, but it added a sense of realism that we hadn't had yet. We were told to make damn sure no civilians saw us. I selected a route that would take us through some really thick stuff. Previously, I had selected routes that were longer but less up-and-down, and easier to push through. Many patrol leaders with not much experience tend to choose a straight line to their objectives, failing to take the hardship of the men into account. Taking a little longer but making it a bit easier on everybody is appreciated by everyone, and shows that a leader can balance the needs of the mission against the needs of the guys, which, in the end, can really be the same thing anyway.

In this case, however, not being seen by Suzy housewife out for a stroll with the family dog was more important than our physical comfort, so I chose a route that I was certain would avoid the casual hikers. There was much grousing by everyone, including me (privately), as we proceeded to rip our clothing and skin to shreds on the thick thorny stuff. Consider that while you are moving through this stuff you also have to maintain noise discipline, watch for bad guys and trip wires, which are usually attached to things that make a lot of noise and take your limbs off. This means that your weapon is tight into your shoulder, muzzle up, and your eyes are constantly scanning out and back, and you are turning through your assigned arc. You do this for hours at a time, and your muscles ache from the tension. You have no extra attention to give to branches, thorns, and the like, so you just have to think about something else as they drag themselves across your face, ripping and tearing your skin in the process. It's not like movies where you get out your machete and hack a nice trail for everyone. That would be just like wearing a neon sign announcing, "here we are, come and get us."

The OpFor got to move around on vehicles. ****.

After an hour of this, the instructor's cell phone rang. He had the ring set to a military cadence that seemed appropriate. It was unusual to have this sort of contact while we were on a mission, so I had the sense that something was up. I pulled everyone into a tight 360, everyone facing out, legs touching, and waited for him to give me the word. He bristled during the conversation, spoke animatedly for a minute, then hung-up. He told me without drama to get everyone turned around and head back to the center. He wouldn't say why though. When we got back, he gathered everyone up and said that the other instructor had run into some poachers several hundred yards ahead of us (this is West Virginia after all). When the poachers saw him, not expecting anyone, there was a tense moment while everyone tried to mentally sort everything out. The poachers turned away and melted into the brush, watching their back trail the whole time. Rod felt that this was a clearly dangerous situation, since the poachers typically shoot first and see what they are shooting at second, and, oh, by the way, they use real ammo, not blanks. There was also a concern that they might think we were law enforcement, looking for them, and that certain difficulties may arise. Our mission and second ambush of the day was therefore modified.

Can you imagine? If one of them had taken a shot at one of our guys, thinking it was a deer or something, all of us would have returned fire, thinking it was the OpFor, and we would have had a real, though one-sided, firefight on our hands. This would have been an unbelievable mess, to say the least, and Rod was right to call the exercise off.

Our instructor then gave me my warning order: Marine Force Recon has located a POW camp, which contains Colonel Jackson, an Air Force pilot, shot down while providing air support during a raid. You are to raid the facility at 14:00 hours this date for the purposes of rescuing him.

A warning order is just that, a warning that an operation is going to take place. The details are not fleshed-out, it is just a notice that you need to start to prepare. A good commander passes the warning order down to his unit as soon as he gets it, so the individuals in the unit can prepare both mentally and their equipment. Many commanders launch themselves into planning mode, and forget until the last moment to tell their subordinates, which leads to a rush to get things set-up. I gathered everyone together and gave them all the info I had, and then told them that I would be meeting with the S2 (intelligence) section as well as the S3 (operations) section to get all the info I could. I also told them that I would try to get these people to brief them personally, so that they would have the opportunity to ask questions I may not think of.

Travis and I during our recon of one of the objectives.

I went to my meeting with the S2, who was very helpful, and even had photographs of the site as well as of Colonel Jackson so that we would be sure to rescue the right guy. That was kind of important. He gave me a lot of additional info, and I put it all into my OpOrder, which appears below. I asked a few questions he could not answer, and he agreed to look into the situation and give me another briefing before we left for our leader's recon. I went back to my squad and gave them enough info to start working on a mock-up sand table, and then retired to create my Operation Order.

While I was doing this, we heard the sound of jet engines rapidly getting closer, but it was obvious they were at low level, down in the valley. I didn't put it past Rod to somehow arrange to have tactical fighters strafe us or some such nightmare. The jet didn’t show itself, but I was told later that this area frequently was the scene of such activity, since there was so much government land here and we were so close to so many bases. Hey Rod, when are you going to have fighter pilot school?

Operations Order

Situation

Marine Force Recon has located a POW camp, which contains Colonel Jackson, USAF, who was shot down recently while providing air support during a special forces raid on a drug-production facility.

Mission

Ranger Team Three (that's us) will raid the facility at 1400 this date for the purpose of rescuing Colonel Jackson (or his body). The team will fail the course if it fails to rescue the Colonel, dead or alive.

Execution

Ranger Three will assemble and leave the forward SF camp at 0800, following route two (everyone is to mark this on his map), which will take the team to the recon rally point.

Commander's Intent

This mission must utilize stealth. No enemy personnel are to be engaged until the raid starts, even if the team is fired upon first. Otherwise, the raid might be predicted by the enemy, and the prisoner might be killed or moved. All guards are to be neutralized.

Scheme of Maneuver

Fire team alpha, fire team bravo, and the squad leadership element will travel through the tree line in Ranger file. Once the objective is within 300 yards, the point man will select a recon rally point (this is where the rest of the team lays-up while the leader's recon is happening). One recon team will recon the site. This recon team will consist of David and Travis. We will recon the site from the east and northeast sides, where S2 has indicated we will be able to see the site. The recon element will come back to the rally point and brief the squad on any changes to the plan. The team will then move up to the objective rally point (the spot where the team assembles just shy of their jump-off points). The team's designated sniper will be on the far left, while fire team alpha will be to his right. The squad leadership element will be in the middle, and fire team bravo will be on the right. The designated sniper will be Rich, who will engage the tower guard. When the guard falls, the assault teams will move quickly to the top of the berm and get into prone. The teams will then commence firing at all the visible guards. I will call a cease fire, and every team member will have his weapon checked to make sure it is unloaded by the individuals on both sides. I will then walk the line and personally check each weapon (the concern here is that you might accidentally mix live and blank ammo, which could get some of the OpFor killed—for real—later). After all weapons are clear, the aid and litter team (Scott and Bart) will go into the site and put the Colonel (whose legs are broken) onto a stretcher and carry him back up the hill. The Colonel will be secured to the stretcher by means of 550 cord. There will be no searching, no demolition of the site or equipment, and no communication with the other POWs, who are all indigenous to the host country, and not our concern. We will have ten minutes to get out, as the opposition reaction force is expected to arrive within twenty minutes.

Intelligence

Marine Force Recon has surveiled the site utilizing thermal imagery. There are four guards on the ground, interspersed with the POWs. There are five POWs other than Colonel Jackson. Colonel Jackson has two broken legs, and cannot walk. (I included pictures of the guards and the POWs, which were given to me by Rod, who was playing the role of S2 Intelligence Officer. He played the role so well that he even pretended to be an ******* during the meeting, which is apparently common among intel types.) Colonel Jackson is wearing a black hood, blue shirt, khaki pants, and is sitting, tied-up, at a green plastic table at the left center of the compound. Our attack will be from the East. There is a twenty-foot-tall blue tower with a white roof, with one guard in it. I also showed them pictures of these items.

Exfiltration

There are seven potential PZs (pick-up zones) which are suitable for helicopter landings. (I showed them the locations on the map, and had everyone mark them on theirs. I also had them write-down azimuths from the camp to the closest PZ, and then from each PZ to the next closest.) We will move from the camp to PZ1, which is the closest. If we cannot secure the PZ, we will break contact and move to the next PZ, and continue until we get to PZ7. If we miss pick-up at PZ7, we will have to walk (approximately ten miles over several peaks) back to the SF camp. We will perform a radio check with the Ranger leadership and airborne component commander just before we jump-off. We will pre-register the exfil routes out of the POW camp, as well as each PZ, as artillery and air support targets in case we need to hit them as we leave to destroy any reaction force that tries to follow us.

Command/Signals

The assault will begin when I give the signal. I will yell, "Assault!" Everyone will fire one entire magazine of ammunition. This will help to ensure that we do not accidentally cross-load live ammo later. The command to clear weapons will be given by me, and I will do so by yelling "clear-weapons." This command will be repeated by each member of the patrol as well. The command to exfiltrate will be given by me, and I will do so by telling the point man "PZ (X)" and he will then navigate a course toward that site. It is anticipated that we will exfil toward PZ1, but this may change as the situation dictates. The code to switch frequencies up two channels will be "Mango." I will likely give this code after each pick-up attempt. Our team is Ranger Three. I am Ranger Three-Six. Ranger Six is the leadership back at the SF camp. Aviation 7 is the airborne commander, and is in charge of all air support. Artillery fires may be coordinated through Ranger Six. The various members of the leadership element back at the SF camp are Ranger Six-Alpha, Six-Bravo, etc. All radio commo will follow proper radio procedures, and all situation reports will follow the SALUTE format (Size, Activity, Location, Unit, Time, Equipment).

End

After I presented the OpOrder, Rod came in and gave an additional briefing to the whole team. They asked a lot of questions I had not thought of, but the discussion soon deteriorated into a discussion of minutiae, which I felt was pointless. Small details like how far it was from the table to the tower could be easily verified first hand during our recon. After a few minutes of these types of questions, I put a stop to it and thanked the S2 for his time. We then went out and rehearsed our plan, and practiced a couple of ambush drills. The guys thought we were ready and didn't want to practice, but we had the time, and if the guys were not bitching, then I would know for SURE we were not ready.

The Ranger Major and I confer during the time that I'm the leader. He's probably explaining to me exactly how I'm an idiot.

At the appointed hour, I organized us into a line and we moved out along our assigned path. I replayed every aspect of the mission in my head. I didn't want to forget any contingency, leave any possibilities unexamined. I even considered that they might change leaders in the middle of the mission, and tried to guess who my replacement might be so I could ensure that he was clear on what was happening.

It wasn't very far to the initial recon rally point. I had everyone drop their rucks and relax. Travis and I started out with just our water, ammo, weapon, and one MRE apiece to perform our leader's recon. He took the point position, and I provided rear security. We got to the edge of the tree line, and I could see the top of the guard tower. We moved a bit to our right, and then came back up to the edge of the tree line. A large section of the compound was visible, and we made a map and took detailed notes. We then moved a few hundred yards east and took another look. I noted that there were more guards than the intel geek had estimated, and that there were more POWs as well. We were not to shoot the POWs, but if we did it wasn't considered a big deal by our leadership. I wanted the mission to go perfectly, however, and I made detailed notes as to their positions and descriptions. I was wishing I had a digital camera with me so that I could show the team what I saw.

A note of explanation is warranted here. The guards and POWs were all steel human silhouette targets. They were painted a bit differently to distinguish bad guys from POWs. The tower guard was a mannequin suspended by a wire, which would presumably drop him when our sniper hit him. We were told that Colonel Jackson, however, was a real person. It appeared to be a mannequin at the moment, but they had hinted that Rod was going to be in the chair during the raid. He had two guards and a couple of POWs placed dangerously close to him. From the angle, it looked as though the POW targets would shield him from ricochets, but it also looked like there was a clear path to him should anyone fire an errant bullet in his direction. We would be using live ammo for this mission, and our instructions were to use an entire magazine each. That's a total of 224 bullets flying downrange, some of them close to the hostage, and some of them being fired by people whose skills with a rifle I had no faith in. I was really nervous about this.

Moving across a wide open area is usually a bad idea. Unfortunately, the cadre had this notion that we needed to learn that stuff the hard way, and would tell us to do things you wouldn't normally do. The guys in the center are dragging the rescued POW, while the rest of us spread way out to provide security. The guys in the rear get to walk the entire way backwards, which tends to let you know about muscles in your calves and thighs you didn't know you had.

After an hour or so of reconnoitering the objective, we moved back toward the rally point. I made a few changes to the plan, and then went from member to member explaining his specific role. To Rich, our sniper, I said to take out the tower guard and continue to shoot until it fell. Then to join alpha team on the left and use up the rest of his ammo on three of the guards. To John, I said to take the guard standing closest to Colonel Jackson, and to put all 28 rounds into his head. I said, "You will be the only person shooting at that target. We've been through a lot of training together over the years, and I know how well you can shoot that carbine. I want 28 headshots, none to the body. That might be Rod down there playing the Colonel, and I want him to be impressed." John grinned, and indicated with an obscene gesture that he understood and appreciated his role. Once, during some training in Arizona, John and I were going through the Vlei at Gunsite, which is a South African word that basically means "wetland," which is weird because the land there is anything but "wet." We were scooting stealthily down this little ravine, and John noticed a small pepper-popper peeking out between two trees 300 yards distant and at a much higher elevation than we were at (a pepper popper is a steel target, used to represent a hostile, about six inches across). I was about to suggest that we get a little closer when he casually lifted his carbine, while still standing, and touched off a round with barely a pause. A moment later, a satisfying "thunk" reached us, and my faith in his shooting ability was born.

I had Travis, the only other person whose ability I trusted, take the two next closest targets, and told him to give each one a half-magazine. I and Bravo team would set-up on the right, and there were two guards placed behind and slightly to the side of several POWs. The other members of Bravo were relative novices with their weapons, and I didn't want them shooting at targets that were partially obstructed by POWs, steel or otherwise. I assigned each of them targets that were off by themselves and fairly easy shots. Even so, they were a bit intimidated, and were surprised that I took the harder shots for myself. "What if you miss yours? No one will be backing you up," Bart said. "Guys," I said, "I may be pretty new to this infantry stuff, but one thing I know how to do is shoot. I'll be done long before you will, and there will be 28 head shots on my targets. Trust me." That seemed to inspire a little confidence, and I hoped that I could deliver. Under normal circumstances this would be a walk in the park, but I was tired, a little shaky, had a lot of other things on my mind, and hadn't fired much live ammo during the week. Firing blanks tends to foul your weapon and make it a bit unreliable, and though we cleaned them daily, I had yet to perform a really thorough cleaning on the gas tube, bolt and carrier assembly, and other parts you don't normally get to in the field.

I had every member repeat his role to me, and I was satisfied that they all got it. I then briefed the instructors on my plan. They gave no indication as to whether they thought it was good or not, but I knew that if it was faulty they would make some suggestions, since safety was on the line here. We were ready.

•••
David

Postby David on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:14 pm

There was a ringing in my ears, and a dull throbbing in my temples. A root or something was digging into one of my ribs. I lay in position, a full magazine of live ammo in my weapon. Sweat ran down my cheek. I was filthy, smelly, and my body was running on whatever stimulants it produces when you haven't slept in days. If I closed my eyes I got the spins. I was focused but at the same time other thoughts competed for my attention. My son was asking me to throw him onto the bed, a game we call "rocket ship," and which he adores. My mountain bike at home hadn't been lubed in a few rides, and I needed to fix that. A bug of some sort worked its way across my face. I paid it no attention, made no move to alter its course. My whole body tingled. I was so tired, yet adrenaline was coursing through me.

•••

From the hill behind us, Rich's carbine barked out a shot. The guard fell, and we all got up and ran as fast as we could from the tree line to the top of the hill overlooking the camp.

•••

Nervous inaction gave way to immediate, punishing physical exertion. It occurred to me that running like this might make the shooting more difficult. My breath came in measured but huge gulps. I had learned by now to start breathing heavily early, like a diver, and to pace my breath, to regulate my respiratory system and prolong the period where I could perform. The noise of my weapon firing seemed sharp, the recoil more articulate, as the live rounds whizzed through it. Blanks are quieter, and have little recoil. It occurred to me that I was shooting, and that I had started to do so automatically. I noted with satisfaction that I was firing twice as fast as the team members to my right and left, and that all of my shots were tightly grouped where they needed to be.

•••

Everyone started shooting as soon as I fired the first shot. Some fired faster, others slower. Everyone hit his targets with nearly every shot. No POWs were hit, and all the guards had dozens of hits on them.

•••

I couldn't tell what was more oppressive; the noise, the smell of gunpowder, the heat, the tension, or just the pressure of the entire scenario. I was finished firing and I lay behind my weapon, which was ticking away as it cooled. One by one the line got quieter, until the only person shooting was John on the far left, hitting his target, right next to Rod, which actually still appeared to be the mannequin, 28 times in the head. Each shot impacted the target with a violence that inwardly made me jump. The round would hit the heavy steel plate and disintegrate into chunks of lead and copper jacketing that created a visible pressure wave, and glinted brilliantly in the hot sun. Rod would have been insane to be so close to that. John finished shooting and looked in my direction. We shared a look that replayed all the classes we had taken together, that was so intimately satisfying between us that the bond that existed was palpable. He is so rock-steady, so reliable, such a great brother. I wanted to go over to him and kick his ass and tell him how awesome he was.

Instead, I yelled "Cease fire! Clear your weapons!"

•••

Everyone cleared and re-cleared his weapon and the weapons of the team members to the sides. The instructors repeated this. We now had only a few minutes for the aid and litter team to pick up the Colonel and bring him up the hill. We were told that no more than two people could do this, although we could switch to four once they had gotten up the hill. Since Rod weighs about 220, I had been skeptical that they would be able to accomplish this. Now that it was obvious that a mannequin was there instead, I was more confident. It weighed only twenty pounds or so. I guess Rod hadn't wanted to be carted all over the countryside, doubtlessly being dropped and dragged along by eight depraved idiots who could take this opportunity to exact a bit of revenge against their primary antagonist.

The POW gets dragged about on an improvised litter.

Here is where we ran into a small problem. We had to leave the site within a very short time, yet the orders I had given were to place the Colonel on the stretcher and move out. He was tied to a chair, and the stretcher had to be assembled, so this would take a lot of time. The obvious solution was to pick up the chair with the Colonel in it and boot up the hill. We could get him on the stretcher later. Unfortunately, when people are exhausted and stressed, they tend to follow directions blindly, and our team did not think of this alternative possibility. I started yelling at them to just grab the chair, but they apparently couldn't hear me. I couldn't go down to direct them, so I stood helplessly on top of the hill as our time ran out. They got him onto the stretcher and up the hill, and then I and another man grabbed an end and we ran as fast as we could to the exfil rally point. We barely made it in time.

PZ1 was only a half-click or so away, and while there I called Ranger Six, our leadership, and gave them a SitRep (Situation Report). I also requested extraction, and gave them an estimate as to how long it would take for us to clear the PZ and the surrounding area. PZ1 was near a barn, and it took a while to clear the area. There were no OpFor present, but I didn't think they would make it easy for us by showing themselves too soon. We had a few minutes before the helicopters arrived, and just as I began to relax, I realized that I had made my first potentially fatal mistake.

It had been impossible to recon all seven PZs, so I had no idea what they actually looked like. I had assumed that it would be obvious where we would be picked up. As I looked around PZ1, I realized there was no place big enough for even one helicopter to land, let alone two. Even though we were simulating our helicopters with pickups, I knew that they would probably still pick PZs that met the same criteria. I ripped out my map even as I heard the sound of our rides approaching. The radio crackled, and my boss informed me that the helicopters were one minute out. I called back and asked if I could specify an exact spot for pickup within the PZ. He replied that he was not in direct contact with the pilots, so it was too late to change the specific pickup spot. I could see a space 200 meters down the road where it looked like the actual pickup was to take place, and I knew I couldn't get there and clear the entire area within one minute. I was certain OpFor was there waiting for our birds, who were blissfully unaware that there was danger. I had promised them that the PZ was clear of hostiles, because I had cleared the wrong area. I got up and ran as fast as I could. I yelled for my team to follow me, and they looked at me like I was nuts. I was the only one who had figured this out so far, but realization soon dawned upon them, because they all got behind me.

I burst into the clearing even as the first truck passed me and started to sweep around. Muzzle flashes peppered the contrasting tree line to the front, and I screamed an obscenity as I raised my rifle and fired. I and several others ran forward and put as much fire into the area as we could, but it was too late. Our ride lifted off with scarcely a pause and the other one followed. I turned and watched them leave with a sinking feeling in my gut. There's no loneliness that approximates that which you feel as you see your ride leaving and you realize that you are in hostile territory with every bad guy in the area trying to kill you. As the sound of the “helicopters” faded it was replaced by the sound of the OpFor firing, which signified my failure. The fact that it was my fault made it just this side of unbearable. I had really let my team down.

Later during the day, some of the OpFor try to jump us while we're leaving an area. I was in the rear, and this photo was taken right after I shot the first one, scaring the **** out of the instructor and probably messing up his hearing since he was in the way. That's him steaming away behind me, and I'm waiting for more of them while the others beat feet.

I looked up the azimuth on my map to get to the next PZ, called out "PZ2" to the point man, Travis, who knew exactly where to go because he was so squared-away he had it all in his mind, and we executed a "breaking contact" maneuver, which is sort of a leap-frogging thing where you run your ass off while still keeping a lot of fire on the enemy. As we left, I called Ranger Six and let them know what my estimate of time was, and then called the artillery component commander to execute my pre-registered fire mission on PZ1 to take care of any bad guys left behind. Seconds later, the whining of the simulated artillery rounds coming in announced our failure to the world, as the PZ was blasted to bits by the 105s of the red-legged gun bunnies a few hills away. It didn't make me feel any better.

I got a major ass-chewing from Ranger Six for declaring a clear PZ, who had gotten an ass-chewing from the aviation commander for getting one of his birds shot up. He asked me for a SitRep, which I gave him in the SALUTE format. At least ten OpFor, all shooting at us and the helicopters, at PZ1, unit unknown, a few minutes ago, rifle and mortar fire. My fire team leaders had automatically given me LACE reports, so I had that info at my fingertips. For the time being, we were good to go with water and ammo, and no casualties. I asked Ranger Six to set-up a link and give me the frequency so that I could talk directly to the aviation commander on the next go-round. I intended to ask him if I could actually speak directly to the pilots to make sure we were on the same page as far as where the specific pick-up would be, and also so I could direct their approach. I had a feeling that at the next PZ, the OpFor would wait to hit us again as the birds were touching down, so I figured that they would only be on one side of the PZ. If I could send a fire team deep into the bush, like 100 meters or so, rather than the few meters we had been doing, we could engage the OpFor early, and then hold them back from the PZ long enough to then quickly withdraw and get on board before they got a chance to move up and fire on the helicopters. I didn't want to explain this to Ranger Six, knowing that it would be better to just do it rather than have some headquarters puke in an air-conditioned trailer veto the idea out of hand. I called Ranger Six and Aviation Seven and requested a frequency change, using the code word "mango" that we had set-up earlier. I was concerned that the OpFor might be listening in to our comms.

I should mention that during my time as leader, the Ranger First Sergeant, Dimitre, pulled me aside and gave me some advice about leadership. He said, "David, you're doing a good job. You're getting the guys to listen and to do what they're told. But you're being very short with them and being pretty bossy. In the military that's a common and valid leadership style, but the leaders who really get things done inspire rather than yell. There's a time to be pushy, but it's not all the time. I can tell you're not here because you want to play army. You see the leadership skills that transfer from here to the real world in your career or whatever. You can lead by inspiring, or you can lead by being a dick. Which do you want to be?" He didn't wait for a response, but just hit me hard on the shoulder and walked away. It was one of the most defining and educational moments of the course.

We got to PZ2 early, and I sent fire team Alpha deep into the bush. Before they got more than a few yards, our instructors called them back, and told them and me that it wasn't prudent to send them out too far. I explained what I was doing, that clearing only a few yards into the tree line wasn't really "clearing" anything, and the instructors shook their heads and told me I couldn't do it. Their smirks told me that they really thought it was a good idea, but that it would screw up their plans. That's when I knew we were in for a long night.

Travis and I crawling the last few feet to the top of a hill so that we can see what's on the other side. Again, this isn't the way you'd do something like this, which is obvious by the trail you can see us leaving. Still, they told us not to worry about it, and of course the bad guys could tell exactly where to start their hunt for us.

We cleared the area around the PZ, and I called the aviation component commander. He patched me through to the pilots, and I could hear the whop-whop of the rotors over the radio as they talked to me. I couldn't believe how realistic and attentive to detail all of this was. I recommended an approach from the southeast, which would take them over ground that we had been over, and that they hit the side of the PZ closest to us. I got two clicks of the mike in response, which I knew meant that they understood. As the birds flared, sure enough, they got lit-up by our friends the OpFor. We laid down a lot of return fire, but the helos immediately took off, I’m sure cussing and cursing me as they went. My radio crackled with demands for explanations and I replied "wait one" as I looked at the map and mentally charted a route to the next PZ.

I was about to order everyone to break contact and then call in an artillery fire mission on the pre-registered tree line, when the Ranger officer came up to me and said in an unnaturally calm voice, "David, relax. It's not your problem anymore." I looked at him uncomprehendingly like he was nuts, and continued working the problem. He came closer and said, "David, relax, it's Rich's turn." Realization dawned on me, and I wanted to scream "No!" I was in my element here, and NEEDED to finish this one out. Just as I was about to tell him to go **** himself, I realized that this was the plan all along: make the change in leadership during a time of great stress, which will really screw the new guy in about a hundred different ways, as well as teach the old guy something about command. I saw the situation from the leader's perspective, but Rich did not. There was no way he could be as prepared to deal with this as I was, since I had been living it and planning it and owning it the whole time, while he had had very little responsibility. This was an object lesson about always being prepared to jump in and assume a leadership role, and it wasn't lost on me.

I ripped my radio out of my vest and turned it over to Rich, who was looking pale with apprehension. I asked him if he had a map, and I looked at it and saw that it wasn't very well-marked. I was going to give him mine, but decided to keep it. **** him, he could figure it out. I was a grunt now, and had no responsibility other than sheer physical effort. It felt both like a relief and a torture. There was so much I wanted to tell Rich, but I knew that that would not fit in with what was happening here; it was his turn. I gave him a SitRep and took his place in the line. I was done.

Rich was totally, completely fogged-over. The things everyone yelled at him simply bounced off with no visible effect. He held the radio mike in his hand and struggled for something to say. Our superiors were asking over and over for a SitRep from him, and he was unable to get the info from everyone and give it to them. To be fair, everyone else acted this way at first, as did I, but it was so much more apparent to me now, since I had so recently been the one calling the shots. I wanted to jump back in and tell him what to say over the radio, but, obviously, it would have been inappropriate as well as an insult to him. I knew he would get settled after a while, but ****, every missed PZ was hours more time we would have to be out there, and miles more distance we would have to travel.

We beat down the attack, and the two instructors stayed right next to Rich, telling him what to do next, giving him a chance to get acclimated. Hearing him on the radio was humorous at first, since he spoke as though having a casual conversation. The people on the other end reamed him for not using proper radio procedure, and for not giving SitReps in the SALUTE format. "Ranger Three, I say again, SitRep!" would come the demand from Ranger Six. "Uh, we're getting shot at." Rod on the other end would go absolutely nuts, and I thought he'd come down here and strangle Rich. I had to balance the humor of this against the seriousness of the situation. If our leader was unable to issue the appropriate commands to get us out of here, we might be in for a long night of missing our scheduled pick-ups. I started to get anxious.

After an assault on a truck convoy. The bad guys laid where they got shot. We opened the gate, dumped them out, and then stole their vehicles.

Finally, we got moving, and the instructors helped Rich call in a fire mission on the PZ to get rid of our pursuers. We headed out to the next PZ, which was about a click away and over some pretty uneven terrain. We had to hustle. As we were leaving, an OpFor member leaned out from concealment and raised his weapon. Our rear security was looking in the wrong direction, and, since I had been looking back at the time, also in the wrong direction for my spot in the line, I was the only one who saw him. I raised my weapon and fired. The muzzle was right next to the ear of one of our instructors, who was as surprised as we were. He winced and jumped away, and I felt a little sorry for him, but by this time the sleep deprivation and stress had made me, and all of us, act automatically, and thus I didn't even pause. I think he understood, because he didn't say anything, though his ears must have been ringing for quite a while afterward.

We arrived at the PZ, and I took my place in the perimeter. I was pretty close to Rich, so I leaned over and suggested that he send out some people to clear the tree line at least 100 meters in. He acted as though he didn't even hear me, so I explained what it was I was suggesting. As I was finishing, the instructor simply said to him not to do that, and that was the end of that. I realized that we would not be picked up from this PZ either, and also that I needed to butt-out of Rich's business.

This time, the OpFor hit us early. Rich sent a few of us over to where the fighting was so we could reinforce the line. I spent several minutes up there, and John and I realized that this would be a repeat of the last pick-up attempts unless we could flank them and clean them out before the helos arrived. I went back to give him a SitRep. When I got there, he was talking on the radio to Ranger Six. I told him I was there to give him a SitRep, but he ignored me. Ranger Six was asking him for that information, so I tried to butt-in and tell him that I had it for him. He gave me a wave of his hand and then told Ranger Six that he didn't have the information yet. The instructors told me to wait, and then told him, even as Ranger Six was yelling at him, to get the info from his team leaders. I finally lost it, and got in Rich's face and yelled, "all these people are yelling at you to get a SitRep and that's what I came back here to give you!" This was a good lesson in realizing that your subordinates are valuable assets, and that you absolutely NEED their assistance and input if you are to succeed. So far, Rich had been trying to do it all himself, and it was just getting him cussed-out by Ranger Six.

Scott, just as he's jumping up to assault a truck convoy. The crazed expression on his face is one indication that he was starting to go a little off. I would later come to think he was getting dangerous. In the end, I think he actually handled things better than most of us, especially his time as leader.

I said, "Rich, tell Ranger Six to 'wait one.'" He did, and then I gave him a SitRep in the proper format. He repeated this info over the radio, and was told to stand-by. While he was doing this, I asked him if John and I could try to flank around the OpFor. He told us no, and I wasn't going to argue with him once he made his decision. I suggested, since PZ3 was so large, to have Aviation 7 order his pilots to approach the PZ from the far side, where they wouldn't have to fly over the OpFor and get their asses shot down. He radioed Aviation 7, and relayed the request, and was told that they would take it under advisement. Rich then sent me back to be on rear security. The firefight was waning at this point, though still going on, and I had a commanding view of the terrain in my sector, which was pretty much unapproachable, so I decided to have a fig bar. Can you imagine? I've gotten so used to this by this point that I'm taking the time to have a snack during a firefight. It's amazing what your brain can decide is normal after a while. The bar tasted really **** good, too.

The tip of the guard tower at the POW camp. The hill makes it look short, but the ground dipped a long way down over the hill in front. There was a guard in the tower that had to be taken out first from quite a distance.

When our ride approached, naturally, the OpFor hit us in force again, and again it was from the one side. I was really seeing a pattern here, and I desperately wanted to be able to influence the battle. The helos lifted off without picking us up. John actually tried to toss the colonel onto the bird, and was almost successful. The colonel barely missed the truck, and almost got run over, too. I was glad it was just a mannequin.

While we were sitting there and Rich was thinking about what to do, Ranger Six asked for a SitRep. During the conversation, he asked what the condition of the colonel was. Rich replied that he was "stable." I just about had a fit. I may have been new to this stuff, but even I knew that you always told your boss that the wounded were on death's door, otherwise, you don't get your ride. I yelled, "Don't say that! Tell him that if he doesn't get immediate medical attention he will die within 30 minutes!" I suggested that John should get on the radio and give them a bunch of doctor ****. Make it seem like the guy's about to kick-off, right now, unless those birds come back and pick us up. John grabbed the mic and told them in his own language what I had just said, and added, "And, uh, oh, by the way, I note that the patient also has a well-developed case of VD. That should be looked at as well." We all had a laugh about that one. Our leadership responded that if we held-tight he may be able to get the birds back, and I started to wonder if we might just get out of here before dark. A while later, a helo (actually a four-wheeler) came back, but merely shoved a few things out the side. One was a 5-gallon water blister, which was a nice thing to have, and the other was an Army-issue VD-treatment kit. We laughed our asses off, and I marveled once again at how well Rod had put this whole thing together.

We moved off of the PZ, and Rich called in a fire mission. The whole area exploded with artillery simulators, but by now we weren't even looking back. It had become the norm.

PZ4 was quite a hump from our current location. There were lots of really close lines between it and us on the map, which, as most of you know, means changes in elevation, which is a fancy way of saying up and down. Going downhill was just as painful as going uphill because the raw spots on my feet were rubbed in a particularly bad way. By now my left knee, which I have injured a few times over the years skiing, playing soccer, and running, was really giving me trouble. Our makeshift stretcher, which was constructed out of a poncho and two saplings, kept coming apart unless you held it a certain way, and many of us were so exhausted we kept forgetting, and the whole mess would tumble, spilling the colonel, broken legs and all, onto the rocky earth. Each time this happened the stretcher bearers would get a tongue-lashing from the instructors. "That man is an officer in the United States Air Force! His legs are broken, and you idiots are treating him as though he was a mannequin or something!"

John, Travis, and I during my turn as leader. You can see the radio mic in my hand.

This particular phase of the journey seemed to pass in some sort of suspended timeframe. I don't remember even how long it took, but it was quite a while. There was very little talking, and everyone just trudged on. It passed from light to dark during this phase. I remember at one point John was next to me and hyperventilating. John is in pretty good shape, so I wondered about that. I was carrying fifty feet of rappelling line, twenty steel snaplinks, a five-gallon water blister (about half-full) my weapon, ammo, and one corner of the stretcher, and I can honestly say I wasn't the least bit physically tired. I found myself waiting for the others, encouraging them to continue, and taking more stuff off of them to carry. I realize now that I had simply gotten to that point where you think you can't go any further, and then you do, and you realize that you've got quite a bit left in you, and you think you're some sort of super-trooper or something. It became easy at that point. I simply put one foot in front of the other. Bart had gotten to this point too, in fact, he was really getting off on it. If I had had time to think about it, I would have seen it as hilarious. He was at the back of the stretcher, singing cadence, and trying to push everyone else along. His energy was boundless, and we were on the same wavelength. He kept saying, "come on guys, let's just run up this hill and get it over with!" He was having a blast, and I think the only thing that kept everyone else from being annoyed is that they simply were so wrapped-up in the task at hand that they didn't notice. I made a mental note to talk to him about what was driving him later. I suspected we were getting the same things out of this.

It was nearly dark as we approached PZ4. We established a perimeter around the colonel, and Rich sent people out to secure the bush, including me. I went in quite a ways, and performed what I thought was an stellar job of clearing the bush 100 meters inward. Unfortunately, we got hit from another side, and all I could do was watch as our ride disappeared again. I wasn't in the perimeter during the event, so I don't know what orders were issued, or what sorts of profanities were hurled at us by the aviation guys or our leadership, but the look on Rich's face told me enough. We had failed again, and the next PZ was even further away, and at an elevation that was frightful. I was pretty sure some of us were not going to be able to make it.

Rich signaled for everyone to get moving, and we set out for PZ5. The site was on a mountain top which was accessible only by helicopter or via a twisting switchback road, similar to that which separates Jerome from Sedona in Arizona. In any other setting it would have been beautiful, but looking at it from two peaks away, and seeing how close together the elevation lines on the topo map were, it just looked like a lot of work to me.

Travis and I, discussing how we're going to get across the open area undetected, after the cadre told us we couldn't go around.

We had to go a lengthy ways downhill before we could even start uphill, and we got to a spot that was so steep and so full of thick thorn bushes that I thought we might have to break out the rappelling gear. It was as thick and formidable as a brick wall. We slid ourselves and all our gear, including the colonel, recklessly down the slope. It was more like falling than any sort of organized downward travel. This was crazy. Unmentionable cuts and gashes resulted from this, but no one complained. We were immune to pain at this point. We made it down but ended up in a small stream, and about half the team got soaked. Most of us were soaked in sweat already, but filling your boots up with mud and water when your feet are as damaged as ours were is an unmitigated disaster. The pain ratcheted up another notch.

I'm not sure how long this took, but we finally reached the general area we needed to be in. It took us another hour or so to get to the specific spot we were supposed to be in for pick-up. I went uphill fifty meters or so to clear the area above us, and honestly felt pretty energetic, though I was exhausted at the same time. The Ranger officer told us to clear our weapons, and gather at the pickup point. This signified the end of this part of the mission, so I came down from my spot uphill and started jogging down the road to get to the others. Scott, who I mentioned earlier started to act funny as the week progressed, saw me coming, and got down on one knee. He raised his weapon, and challenged me with the password, which I won't mention because it was pretty pornographic. I responded, "It's David, dumbass!" I'm not sure why I didn't simply respond with the password, but it was pretty clear that the exercise was over, our weapons were supposed to be empty, and I had been rear security anyway, so Scott should have expected me to be coming up from behind. Something inside me didn't want to participate his "oh-so-serious" and kind of crazy attitude. Well, Scott didn't like my answer, so he shot me.

All hell broke loose. The instructors went nuts, screaming at him to clear his weapon, and demanding to know what the hell he was thinking. I felt responsible, because I could have avoided the whole thing by just giving the password. The concern was that we were miles away from the facility now, it was about 12:00 in the morning, and we really weren't supposed to be here, this far onto Federal land. Gunfire going off in the middle of the night tends to attract the attention of law enforcement, especially in an area known for poaching, and that was something that we simply didn't need.

Our rides, which were several pickup trucks (UH 150s--get it?), came up the road and screeched to a halt. We had been taught to get on a helicopter (or a truck, for that matter) by basically hurling yourself inside so that the others behind you can also get on and you can all pile on top of each other leave as quickly as possible, sorting the mess out later. We all started to do this, and the instructors all jumped in our way and yelled at us to relax. They didn't want their trucks to get damaged, which certainly would have happened if we had gotten on the way we had intended.

The ride back took quite a while, and I was glad I was in the bed of the lead truck. The dust was pretty bad for the vehicles behind. Just when I thought we were going to be able to relax, they told us that when they dropped us off, we would be going on another mission.

Okay, fine. Whatever. I didn't care. I knew that the end of the day Friday was around the corner, and another 16 hours or so was all that stood in my way. I started giggling kind of uncontrollably, and I realized this was the first time I had felt any insanity in myself. Maybe I could understand Scott.

"Goodman," sniping at a target on top of the guard tower.

The trucks dropped us off at the Center, and we were told to get our gear squared away for another mission. We spent thirty minutes or so doing this, and then assembled to hear what the plans were. Instead, Rod had us all sit down at a bunch of picnic tables for a debrief. We went through the mission from the first minute to the last. We were critiqued, and had to give our own assessments of our performance. I had a lot to say, especially since I had been the leader for the first half, and had planned much of it.

The debrief took about an hour. The sweat and stream water that had soaked us before now became our enemy, as the cold wind chilled us like it was winter. I have never been that cold. I didn't care, though, because I was with a group of people with whom I felt I belonged. We had just accomplished a lot together. We failed, certainly, to secure our PZs and get picked-up right away, but this had been pre-ordained. No matter how we had performed, those trucks would have driven right by us. It wasn't about winning; it was about endurance and teamwork.

More importantly, the mission itself had been transplanted by the innate desire to fight and struggle for the team. We all made it. No one fell out. When someone had difficulty, others helped-out, either with physical help, intimidation, or moral support, whichever was needed at the moment. This was the hardest, longest, most physically demanding mission, yet the physical performance was by far the best. This wasn’t because everyone miraculously had gotten in shape. It was because we all had the will to succeed, and our motivation was internal.

It became obvious that the lesson here had nothing to do with calling artillery, patrolling techniques, rappelling, or combat. Rod's lesson was that there is nothing that can't be accomplished by a group of people working together as a team under inspiring leadership. We were taken to the breaking point, long past the point on Tuesday when people wanted to quit and were predicting that they would not be here later in the week, to a point where what we were doing was ten times more effort and hassle than what we had bitched about then, and yet everyone was standing or sitting around these tables, freezing, discussing it. Unbelievable.

Everyone shared their feelings about what had transpired over the last day. I think Bart said it best, while he was explaining why he was acting so pumped-up and crazy: "I'm going to be dead for a long time. I want to live as much as I can in the short time that I have to do it."

It seemed as though it was days after the first shot had been fired at us on this mission. I got up from my table and walked over to where John and Travis stood next to each other with their arms over each other's shoulders, listening to the debrief. I scooted in next to John, who made a space for me and put his arm around me. No words were spoken; none were needed. We pressed in tight against each other. We were just three brothers, soaking wet, sharing each other's warmth, reflecting upon the greatness of our potential, contemplating another long, sleepless night, and loving every minute of it.

The team doing a live-fire exercise.

Tomorrow: The last day, but no rest for us. We ambush a column of vehicles, and I learn the meaning of patience.

Photos attached: Back side of the rappel tower; the team during a short rest period; PZ 4 taken from rappel tower with telephoto lens. It's a lot farther than it looks. There is a small deer stand next to a clearing, which is the actual location of the PZ.

•••
David

Postby David on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:15 pm

After the debrief for the hostage-rescue mission, we were told we would not have to fall-in for the next day's mission until 0800. This would result in a lengthy rest, which, after spending an hour or two squaring away our gear, would be as much as six hours or so. I doubt that anyone actually believed this. We had at this point become accustomed to being awakened much earlier than promised, and, this time, Travis had overheard the cadre talking about something happening at 0500. We decided, in an effort to really impress them, to have all of our stuff, including ourselves, ready to go before then. Rod (the student, not the instructor) was by now our leader, and he had everyone make sure his ruck, weapon, and LBE was ready to go before anyone turned-in. He established a watch schedule, and, because I seemed to be able to function well at night, I drew the dreaded 3:00 to 4:00. This would mean that I would get about one and a half hours of sleep, have to stand watch for an hour, then, if I was lucky, be able to sleep for one more hour before we had to get going. It's by far the ******* watch. You want to be the first one or the last one, if you can.

I fell asleep immediately, having remembered my earplugs (we were again in the shoot house). I dreamt about a person I had met once. He had been a Ranger, and a few other things, but when I knew him I had no real conception of what this meant. In the dream he was dressed in six-color desert camouflage, and seated up against an overturned hum-vee. I went up to him, squatted, and told him that I thought I understood. I understood what sort of man it takes to continue something difficult, beyond the point where you can't imagine taking another step, and that the motivation for all of this is both internal, personal will coupled with the intense need to not let those who depend upon you, your teammates, down. I told him that I wish I had that sort of drive. He said nothing, but smiled, and closed his eyes. He was killed during the Gulf War.

I was awakened by John and quickly got up, got my weapon, made sure a round was chambered, and, since I was cold, took my poncho liner with me. I went outside and walked around a bit. My dream had troubled me, and left me feeling disheveled. I was trying to figure-out what it had meant. This feeling gave way to a general feeling that the dream was simply a collection of images created by the various experiences I had recently had, as most dreams are, so I decided to ignore it.

I thought instead about how it was, technically, Friday, and we were all still here. The word "Friday" had become something of a special word to us. We used it in a way that suggested something significant, something unreachable, something far away yet very desirable. At one point or another, I'm fairly certain that each of us thought of Friday as something that we would not ever really get to. That we would look back upon with regret that we didn't achieve it. Except for the two who dropped out the first day, it was now looking as though we would all make it. We couldn't possibly be given anything tougher than last night.

A view of part of the POW camp. The "hostage" sitting at the table has a hard target right next to him. The targets with "x"s cannot be hit or we fail the mission. The other targets all have to be hit or we fail as well.

After my shift, I curled back up and tried to sleep, and I think I probably drifted off a bit. I awoke to the sound of everyone getting ready, and I lay there just listening. I could tell by each person's movements and mannerisms whom he was. I didn't have to see him or hear him speak. We were all getting pretty tight. All of my stuff was packed and ready to go, so at the last possible moment, I switched my watch cap for my patrol cap, stuffed my liner into my ruck, checked my weapon again, and moved outside. We got into a file, of sorts, and marched up to the assembly area before any of the instructors had come to get us. Our plan had worked, and they were impressed. I think this was the point at which they realized that we were in fact becoming a single entity.

The Major briefed us on our next mission, which was to lay an ambush for a convoy of vehicles, within which would be an important cartel leader who, it was deemed, needed to be removed from his position of leadership, so to speak. It was funny how some of the people were blunt, and told you straightaway "he needs to be killed" whereas others would be a bit more euphemistic in their description of the intended result of the action. We all knew what the deal was, whichever way it was phrased.

We were given the necessary info on the route of the convoy, and were told to be in place by 0800. That meant we only had about three hours. Rod came up with a quick plan, and we set off to get to our recon rally point, from which we would scout out the best location for the ambush. We got to the site without incident, and Rod sent John and me to perform the recon. We had been told that the general area would be under observation, and that if any of us was spotted, the mission would be a failure. This mission rested upon John's and my shoulders. We broke the tree line and approached the road on our stomachs. This is a really uncomfortable way to travel, especially when loaded down with a gallon or so of water, thirteen magazines of ammo, a weapon, and other sundry items. We realized that just about the perfect site, a nice bend in the road where the vehicles would have to slow down, was right where we came out. I sent John back to get Rod, and then took some time to scout out the surrounding area, looking for good positions and any reasons to not use this site. One of our instructors came forward and asked me what I thought. I told him that I thought this was a great place for it, and he agreed, which was about the first time any of the cadre ever gave us that kind of feedback during a mission.

When Rod came up, I briefed him on the site, the plan I had envisioned, and then waited for him to decide what to do. He made some modifications to the plan that were pretty insightful, and then asked me to stay there and individually place each person as he came out of the tree line. This presented the first potential pitfall. We were to be in place by 0800, but were told the convoy could come by at any time. That meant, in my estimation, we could be sitting there, in place and motionless, for fifteen minutes, or for eight hours. Knowing the cadre, it would be closer to the latter. I now had to think about who could best take the heat and the need to be still that the low grass in front of the position required, and who should stay back a bit where there was more cover from the punishing sun and the need to stay motionless wouldn't be so great.

The POW has to be bound for his safety. Can't have arms and legs flopping about during what would be some pretty rough handling.

I placed Bart and Scott on the far right, in some bushes, and Rich behind me in some taller stuff. Alpha was placed by Rod. Rod was to my immediate left. None of us could see each other, as we were as low as possible. I got up to straighten up the grass and brush that had been moved around a bit during our movement through it, so that it wouldn't give us away to the convoy or anyone who might be coming down the road. Rod came by to inspect each position, and brief us on the plan. The right end (Bart and Scott) of the team would spring the ambush when the first vehicle was even with their position. We knew that the convoy consisted of four vehicles, and since they would be travelling from our left to our right, this would place the convoy directly in the center of the kill zone. At Bart's first shot, the rest of us would start firing even as we were getting up, and then we would charge the convoy. Each person was given an additional responsibility having to do with rear security, flank security, ensuring that we got the right guy, etc.

Once we were all briefed and in place, the only thing to do was wait. And wait. We did a lot of waiting.

Rich started snoring. I kicked him in the head with my boot. "Huh?" he asked. "You're snoring!" I hissed. He was genuinely contrite, and apologized. He started snoring again. I kicked him again. This went on and on.

I toyed with the idea of eating an MRE. Well, I had all the time in the world to do it slowly, so I thought, "what the hell..." and pulled the little brown vacuum-packed pouches out of my cargo pocket. It took me an entire hour to get the applesauce and meatloaf with gravy down, which seemed like a lot when you are used to eating in 90 seconds or so. I should mention here that there is no such thing as breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or that there are any illusions that your food has to be warm in order to eat it. I generally ate whatever I pulled out of my pack, and if that was cold meatloaf with gravy early in the morning, then that's what it was. Also, there was no concern over hygiene, or at least in the traditional sense. If you are eating a piece of meatloaf, or a bit of chicken-something-or-other, and some of it falls to the ground, you simply pick it up and put it in your mouth. I don't think it even occurred to me to wipe it off or throw it away. Ever see what sort of things stick to meatloaf covered in gravy when you drop it in the dirt?

As the sun shifted mercilessly into a position where it could better make our lives miserable, I began to really understand the concept of discomfort. Due to the need to remain concealed, I was unable to move quickly, as in the type of movement one needs to make to shoo away a mosquito that is relentlessly mining your body for blood. I was in full sun, wearing all of my ****, and, being so close to the ground and surrounded by thigh-high weeds, there was no breeze to chase any portion of the heat or insects away. I began to wonder if, when the time for action came, I would struggle to my feet, only to have my legs fail me, having cramped up and become useless after hours of being in one position. I'm in pretty good shape, I work out pretty religiously six times per week, and am only 35, but I had grave doubts as to how graceful and athletic I would look while hobbling toward the road, crippled from the pain.

Bart slings a water blister over his shoulder as we prepare to head out after a break. We'd put about two gallons in each blister to make them manageable. That brought the weight of each to about fifteen pounds, on top of all your other ****. Bart and I would start to go a little nuts toward the end, and pile more and more stuff on ourselves to carry. It was a way of laughing at the whole thing, like, "can this load get any more ridiculous?"

At this point, and don't ask me what time it was because I had learned by now not to look at the useless and disappointing instrument on my wrist, which never seemed to move more than a minute or so per hour, I began to go a little nuts. Songs went through my head, entire memos were written, and I think I may have even given a few presentations to myself, silently, but in their entirety.

Have you ever really looked at one spot on the ground, from really, really close-up, for a lengthy period of time? It's amazing what you can see. Every square inch is its own ecosystem, is its own little city. From only two or three inches away, I noted a small—I'm talking like two millimeters—worm of some sort travelling like hell from one imagined starting point to some important destination. What would cause this little thing, this completely insignificant creature, to expend so much effort to move something like an inch in several hours? What could possibly be so important? I decided to have a race. My watch became useful after all, as I took bets with myself on how long it would take to get from one blade of grass to the next, and which direction the thing would go when it encountered the next blade. I gave him a name, I called him Virgil, after a duck that my dad named once when we were on a job together. Virgil had enormous (well, relatively speaking) black eyes that were perched impossibly on top of a lengthy (again, about two millimeters or so) green body. Each eye was about the diameter of his body, so he looked pretty silly, like a caricature of a worm or caterpillar. As he inched (or micrometered, as the case clearly was) his way along, I cheered him on, and found myself constantly revising the schedule of his arrivals. It's amazing how this passed the time for me.

Another example of the cadre being dicks. They tell you when you are "active" and when you can relax. But if they tell you to relax, that means there's probably an attack about to happen. The lesson learned here is to never trust the information you get, and always be alert. We wouldn't normally be this close together in an open area (or even be in an open area) if we were "active."

Patience is something that I have always felt I was good at, at least in a physical sense. I had no idea what patience meant until this experience.

My son was laying in bed, next to me, watching "Toy Story" and cuddling his bear/blanket. All of my attention was focused on him, though I've seen the movie so many times I could recite each line. I try not to let him watch TV by himself, preferring to do this together. His smile and laugh make me want to cry. I miss him so much, yet he's right there next to me. I hold him tightly, like it might be the last time.

I jolt awake to the sound of an engine. I've fallen asleep! It's about 12:00. Everyone is perked up, and my relief that this maddening waiting might soon be over tempers my disappointment in myself for having fallen asleep. It soon became obvious that only one vehicle was coming, though, and that it was only a four-wheeler. I hoped that no one sprung the ambush on it, since it was clearly intended to test us in this regard. As the vehicle traveled the road, it stopped from time to time, or moved very slowly, and it seemed as though the driver was searching the route. We had not really anticipated this, and I hoped that everyone was hidden well enough to escape detection. Sure enough, the driver stopped right in front of us, and I resisted the temptation to lift my head or move even a little. I expected the firing to start, but it didn't, and I realized that everyone had come to the same conclusion I had.

The four-wheeler left, and I thought that maybe this meant that the convoy was close behind. No such luck. We did some more waiting.

At about 2:00 or so, we heard more vehicles, and this time, it seemed like a lot of them, moving fast. Everything I needed; ammo, weapon, grenades, was already in my hands and pointing in the right direction. It took the vehicles a long time to get to us, and as they got closer, I realized how far away you can hear such a thing, especially when your senses are attuned to it.

As the lead vehicle reached Bart and Scott, they opened up. All of us started in as one. I rose while firing, and my knees didn't fail me. I emptied my weapon, dropped the magazine, inserted the new one, and released the bolt and carrier, smoothly and without looking. The previous training with the carbine had stayed with me. I noted that Scott was going from bad guy to bad guy shooting each twice more. They were splayed out all over the place. They had tried to exit the vehicles after the first one stopped, but the sudden volume and ferocity of our fire ensured that no one would get off a shot. It was an example of tremendous, overwhelming force being brought to bear on a situation, with the outcome virtually guaranteed. It was a lesson in resource dynamics that wasn't lost on me.

We verified that we had gotten the right target, and then appropriated the trucks for our own use. Why walk when you can ride, right? In a real ambush they would all have likely been destroyed, but in this case they weren't, so we borrowed them. As I got into the back of one, I noted a huge white cooler, but didn't even think about what might be inside.

The instructors drove us to the spot, a half-click away or so, where we had left our rucks. We piled out of the trucks, and Rod (the instructor), gathered us around. He told us that the ambush had gone perfect. That they had not been sure where we had laid it, and that it had come as a surprise to them. He said, "there was one screw-up, though, and it was pretty major, so I'm going to have to PT you. Everyone get in position." We all got down in the front leaning rest position, ready, and not even that upset, that we would now have to exercise. He let us sit there for a moment, and then said, "come-on guys, you think I'm going to do that to you? Get up here!" The cadre had pulled the cooler I had noticed, as well as several others, out of the trucks and had opened them. They were filled with sandwiches, beer, snacks, pop, cookies, things I had completely forgotten even existed. I didn't know what to do. No one did. We all stood there, staring, not believing. "Come on, dickheads! Dig in!" Rod repeated. Tentatively, all of us started to select things to eat and drink. True to form, the fire team leaders all made sure that the rest of the team got something before they started eating. That had become automatic.

I can't tell you how touched I was by this. The resources that had been poured into this course, the time, everything; there was no way that Rod had made any money on this course. No way. Yet, at the end, he was so proud of us that he treated us to this grandiose, ****-kicking party, right out in the middle of nowhere, with all of us stinking and filthy, faces painted and sweaty, and absolutely not expected or even considered by any of us. In a way, it was the best party I have ever attended.

One of the OpFor members. We didn't get to meet them until the impromptu party.

We spent a couple of hours just absorbing things, no one believing that this was it, that there was nothing else going to be thrown at us. We maintained our discipline and alertness, and had our last debrief. Rod wanted our opinions on the course, since it was so newly conceived, and we gave them to him. I promised to write him with my impressions after I had had some time to process. As we all packed away our stuff and started leaving, we exchanged addresses, numbers, and e-mail with each other, including all the OpFor guys. One by one everyone left the center, and it started to feel like something was really, really over.

I reflected on each member of our team. John had stayed steady and reliable the entire time. I knew he had gotten a lot out of this, but he is such an excellent individual that, except for some of the physical stuff, he seemed to be coasting.

Travis had been our natural leader. Everyone looked to him for guidance during rough spots, and he never lorded his capabilities over anyone. He took orders just as well as he gave them. His stress level never seemed high.

Travis, his BDUs and LBE stuffed with beer bottles.

Rich, "Goodman," as we called him, made a ton of progress. The first couple of days saw him constantly falling out, and though he didn't complain too much, I was certain he wouldn't be there on Friday. By the end of the week, he was right there with us, even during Thursday's unbelievable hump over the foothills.

Rod stayed pretty much the same during the course, due to his naturally even disposition. He ended-up being as steady and reliable as I thought he would be on the first day. He was a really good guy, and a pretty good leader, taking the time to listen.

Bart had been a bit pushy at first, but very quickly started to exhibit the best attitude. He completely got-off on the course, and loved every minute of it. His humor and good spirits really helped everyone along.

Joe had also come a long way. He went from being unsure as to whether he would make it to being extremely reliable. He exhibited perhaps the best team spirit, always rallying everyone together and trying to keep us as one.

Scott, like I indicated earlier, had gone, in my estimation, a little nuts. The sleep deprivation and stress made him really focus, and he took the course more seriously than anyone else. He was excellent on patrol, was a good leader, and was an especially good assistant patrol leader, always looking out for his guys and making sure they had everything. I wondered during the course if this had turned real, somehow, for him. At the end of the last day, during the party, he laid down on the grass and fell asleep. We just partied around him. He was exhausted. I really appreciated that he put everything he had into the experience.

I also reflected on myself. I reached an epiphany during days two and three where I went from questioning what I was doing here to really realizing what it was all about, and really learning a few things about myself. I cemented relationships with some of my favorite people, and learned about my limitations and strengths. I think this will help me in every aspect of my life, and it is this realization that made me think to send this to so many people. There is so much to experience in the world, yet the one thing that leads most assuredly to a fulfilling life is knowing yourself. You can't possibly be totally fulfilled without that as a starting point.

I got behind the wheel of my truck, still wearing my nasty clothing, still dirty, face-painted and bug-smeared. I drove behind John down to the main highway. He went east, and I went west. I caught a glimpse of my hands, which, juxtaposed against the clean interior of my car, seemed mangled. I couldn't believe how many cuts and bruises, scabs and dried blood, were on them. A small rash, which over the next week would turn to a blistering case of poison-something-or-other, had started on my forearms. I thought about getting out my camera to take a picture of my hands, but as I was reaching for the case, I realized I didn't need a photographic record to remember this. I would never forget this.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and couldn't recognize the person sitting there. I thought, my god, I really need to stop somewhere and clean up. I'll cause a major commotion if anyone sees me like this. I started to giggle as I thought about the scene I might cause if I got pulled over, and the giggling turned into laughing, which became hysterical as I played back some of the funnier moments of the week. At some point, the realization that it was over hit me, and the enormous relief at just being done with it, at being able to relax, to not always be so focused, felt like a lead curtain descending over me. The stress and exhaustion of the week poured out, the camaraderie of the relationships I had forged smothered me like lava. I didn't realize it at first, but the laughing had turned to sobbing. I wept openly, the tears streaming freely down my face.

~

Thanks to all of you who have shown an interest, and who have contacted me with questions, as well as those who called me to demand that I get on the ball and finish these. I think in Jack's case I got several messages, both phone and e-mail, all saying, "where's day 4?"

I would like to respond to a number of the questions I received, because if one or more of you did not understand something I wrote, then it's likely that the rest did not either. Frequently my writing is more stream-of-consciousness than linear, and thus I can be very confusing.

1.) We never actually rode on any helicopters. We were trained to think of pickups and insertions in the context of helicopters, and were shown how to do this, but we never actually were picked-up by one. Whenever we were picked-up it was always by truck. It is amazing how well-simulated this was, and in the end it didn't really matter for our experience. When we would speak to a "pilot" over the radio, they would simulate the noise of the aircraft in the background. The rappel tower has a skid from a helicopter attached, so the opportunity to practice rappelling from a helicopter is there, sort of, without actually having to be in one.

2.) There was no actual artillery or mortars, and no AC130 gunship. All of these were simulated. The simulators themselves are not as loud or dangerous as actual ordinance, but in many cases they do cause quite a commotion. They can throw soil, rocks, branches, and things quite a distance, and there can be quite a bit of flash and smoke. However, you don't really feel the concussion, unless of course you are right next to one, which they did a pretty good job of avoiding.

3.) While we were told that Rod was going to be the POW, and would be in harm's way during the assault, they had actually substituted a mannequin for him.

4.) While it may seem that we were pretty cavalier with mixing our live and blank ammo, the cadre was in fact very tenacious in checking all of our magazines after a live-fire exercise to ensure that all live ammo had been put-away.

5.) Many of you have asked how I was able to remember everything so well. My answer is that I may not have. I took a lot of notes, because we were supposed to, but I also noted things each night or during lengthy stops if I got a chance, knowing that I would be sending something out, as I have in the past for my other classes. Still, it is very possible, even likely, that I got the order of certain things a bit mixed up. I think you probably get the idea, though, that this was not really about what things we specifically did, rather, it was about what we came away with, and I hope that much is obvious.

6.) One of you mentioned that it looked as though I was the leader longer than the others. That was partially true, since my tenure stretched over the night, but in reality my stint was no longer than many of the others. I simply had a lot more to say about this time, and was able to reflect a bit more on my impressions since I was the one actually doing it. I do feel lucky, however, to have been the one to have been able to plan and execute the most complicated and fun mission. I think I learned more as a result.

7.) My mother expressed concern after the first item I sent out that I was participating in something like this. I suppose that's a mother's job. Still, I hope that it is clear that the entire experience was about learning something about one's personal limitations, learning the value of teamwork, and maybe even something about leadership. While I was exposed, certainly, to a lot of military-like stuff, I harbor no illusions about actually having the skills now to do any of this, nor would I want to. I have too much respect for those who put themselves in harm's way to try to suggest that I have that sort of courage in me.

8.) A couple of you asked about the OpFor, and what sorts of people they were. As I mentioned previously, they were all volunteers, and came from all over the country. They took time off from their jobs and families to do this, and suffered many of the same hardships as we. In fact, in an effort to stay ahead of us, they probably had to work even harder than we did. We got a little rough with each other from time to time, but no one got testy. It was all business. I didn't get a chance to meet most of them until the last day, and I feel bad about that. They were an excellent group of individuals. Most of the photos I have attached to this message were taken (and which I received in the mail yesterday) by James LeMay, one of their group. His camera was awesome, and was bigger than my rifle!

If any of you have any interest in this sort of thing, Rod has several more classes in the works. You can see them on his website at stormmountain.com.

Pictures attached: 01: Scott and I, laying in the weeds during a lay-up. 02: John, Travis, and I, probably trying to figure out what the hell to do now. Note the radio in my hand, and the Camelback tube in John's. Water and communications were both very important. 03: Scott, during the last ambush. Demetre was taking photographs from the trucks during this event. Note the crazed expression on his face. This was not posed. 04: Bart, during the same event. 05: Travis and I are carrying the stretcher, on which is the unfortunate Colonel Jackson. Rich is walking next to us. 06: One of the OpFor, whom we have just "killed" in the ambush. Note his tiger-striped camouflage, and M14 sniper rifle. Some of them carried different weapons, and all of them dressed in tiger-stripe. Large coolers stuffed with food and beer can be seen, though we had no idea that's what was in them. 07: Bart, and the OpFor member, taking a ride in the truck after the ambush. Note that the OpFor (James) has miraculously recovered. 08: Scott and Bart rush from concealment to the firing line. Bart is carrying the stretcher. I am to the right and slightly behind. Some of the cadre appear on a four-wheeler in the background. 09: The team during a "breaking contact" maneuver. Normally, we avoided trails. This was during a movement from PZ2 to PZ3. I have just been replaced as leader, and am now providing rear security. 10: I have pulled the team into a tight 360 while I talk to Ranger 6 on the radio. Everyone is facing out in a circle, while I am in the middle. 11: The team travels from one PZ to another. We have to cross an open area, which leaves the team vulnerable. There is no really good way to do this except to spread way out, and have a couple of people (in this case, Scott and me) walk backwards to watch out from behind. Moments after this picture was taken, we were hit from behind and Scott and I covered the team while it continued to withdraw. 12: The team, while in the "front leaning rest position." This was when we thought we were being punished for something, when in reality they simply were wanting to unload the coolers without being seen to surprise us. 13: Travis and I during our leader's recon on day four. 14: Rod and Travis sitting on the tailgate during our party on the last day. Note that Travis's uniform has a lot of cool SF stuff on it, and that his rank is Major. The fact that he was by this time a full colonel (two ranks higher than major) indicates the kind of guy he is. He doesn't care if people think he's a "lowly" major. I should stress how outstanding both John and Travis are as people, despite their hillbilly Tennessee accents. 15: Travis, his uniform stuffed with beer bottles, during the party. 16: The team, including some of the cadre and OpFor.
David

Return to Reviews