Old Faithful Holsters

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Old Faithful Holsters

Postby Shooter McGavin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am

Needed an IWB holster for my G22. Had been thinking about getting another Comp-Tac MTAC. Came across Old Faithful Holsters. While they offer fully assembled holsters for $75 which is about $10 below that of the MTAC, they also offer kits that you assemble yourself. They had them on sale for $38 so I went for it. Shipping took a little longer than normal (about 1.5 weeks although once shipped it took just 2 days to arrive which seems the norm for most people) because they'd just had a big Labor Day sale and veteran discount (they offer discounts for active military and veterans along with carry instructors) so they had a bit of a backlog.

The kit itself includes a pre-cut Kydex along with the leather and all the hardware. Extra hardware is included as the holster is fully adjustable. While many holsters are riveted so the tightness of the grip on the gun can't be adjusted as the holster wears in and ages, the Old Faithful has several sizes of spacers and allen screws so you can tighten and retighten it to the desired grip on your firearm. The leather is a decent bit thicker than that of my MTAC and I opted for black rather than natural (an extra $3 option) and standard black Kydex (many other colors are offered).

Here's the kit that arrived.

Their website provides some great videos showing how to assemble the holster and it takes less than 15 minutes to do. The kit provides a Hex key for the screws and an extra little piece of leather with a hole in it to assist in pounding the leather anchors through the back. Pound the anchors in with a hammer, throw spacers over each (start with the medium sized ones (4 sizes provided) and screw the Kydex and belt clips down using a finishing washer. Test fit the gun. Grip it with one hand on the Kydex to simulate pressure from wearing it in your belt and draw the gun to see how it feels. Tighten or loosen the screws to the desired tension then try it on.

Overall really happy with the kit. Awesome quality and great price. Gotta love the 50 year warranty on it too. Only thing I may do is buy some of the Comp-Tac belt clips to replace the heavy-duty metal ones included with this kit as they're a little hard to clip on because they hold so tight (not really a bad thing). I was going to buy a different Kydex to swap out on this holster when I pickup a G19 soon here but at this price I'll just grab another holster ($16 more to get a whole holster kit instead of just the Kydex). In addition to selling kits and pre-assembled holsters, they also sell everything you need to mold your own Kydex. Thats a bit tempting too. Could make them for friends and family. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for a nice holster at a great price.

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com
Shooter McGavin

Re: Old Faithful Holsters

Postby T.P.F.K.A.M on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 am

May have to look into one of these, thats a great price. Looks like a decent holster too. BTW what size are those belt clips. I always wear a 1.75" belt and a lot of holsters max at 1.5".
T.P.F.K.A.M

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 pm

One word for ya.

LocTite.

Looks like a good deal!
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Shooter McGavin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm

T.P.F.K.A.M wrote:May have to look into one of these, thats a great price. Looks like a decent holster too. BTW what size are those belt clips. I always wear a 1.75" belt and a lot of holsters max at 1.5".

Looks like they're right about at 1.75"

Shooter McGavin

Postby Shooter McGavin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:One word for ya.

LocTite.

Looks like a good deal!

Yeah, that was one thing mentioned. I'll see if it loosens up any during the break-in period and the tighten it down if needed and LocTite it.
Shooter McGavin

Postby plblark on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I may have to look into a couple of these. Thanks!
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Pezhead on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

I wish they had a leather one for the Ruger Bearcat. :(
Pezhead

Postby Shooter McGavin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Pezhead wrote:I wish they had a leather one for the Ruger Bearcat. :(

Can't hurt to shoot them an email and ask if they can make one. Customer service has been great.
Shooter McGavin

Postby Pezhead on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:15 pm

It would be for my dad. I'll see what he wants to do.
Pezhead

Postby Jbotto on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:31 pm

I checked out their website and ordered one last night. Thanks for posting this and getting me onto it. I hope it works as well with a revolver.
Jbotto

Postby umnshooter on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 am

Got one yesterday for G19 and wearing it empty right now to break it in. It feels good so far.
umnshooter

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 am

umnshooter wrote:Got one yesterday for G19 and wearing it empty right now to break it in. It feels good so far.

Why wouldn't you want to break it in with the gun in it? :?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby plblark on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am

plblark wrote:I may have to look into a couple of these. Thanks!

The list the Shield. They replied to my E-mail and they don't offer the M&P 9mm Pro. I guess I could let it stick out the bottom but it gets pretty HOT sometimes.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Shooter McGavin on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:11 am

Stradawhovious wrote:
umnshooter wrote:Got one yesterday for G19 and wearing it empty right now to break it in. It feels good so far.

Why wouldn't you want to break it in with the gun in it? :?

Yeah I think you want the gun in there to really form it right.
Shooter McGavin

Postby umnshooter on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah i would love to, but work doesn't allow me to carry so for now, just wearing it empty. also heard somewhere that if you form it without the gun first, it will create a tighter tension when the gun is in there.
umnshooter

Next

Return to Reviews