Reloading with OldmanFCSA

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Reloading with OldmanFCSA

Postby rottenit on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Just got done spending about 9 hours training with OldmanFCSA in his reloading workshop. I was/am a total noob when it comes to reloading. Up to today all I did was buy a press, some books and fooled around. Oldman showed me how to reload from start to finish. Cleaing, sizing, priming, what to look for in the cases to see if there are issues, etc. He went over the things that I should keep an eye out for to keep my reloading safe. I even got to fire off some of the rounds we made! The session gave me the confidence to start to reload on my own. A long day with 5 hours of driving but totaly worth every second!
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Re: Reloading with OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm

THANK YOU for the mini-review of our day together teaching you the Basics with a major portion of Safety included.
When you reload, reload for consistency, shot-to-shot, as that will result in accuracy after practice.
The proof of your first reloads consistency was the small pile of fired casings all in one place on the ground.
Now take that learning experience, apply it to your next reloads, go to the range, practice, and report back with your findings.

We reloaded 9mm, 223, 308, and 30-06, with SS Pin cleaning of 308 and 30-06 casings. He was amazed at cleanliness of cleaned cases. I traded 223 cases with him for cleaned 223 cases to eliminate that time factor. 9mm cases were loaded without cleaning.

With my training, he was a quick learner, and his questions were all answered - none were ignored as being dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one un-asked.

I'm ready for the next person that wants hands-on training. And I continue to improve my facility as time and funds permit.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Anokamnman on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

You got yourself a great instructor. He taught me about reloading too.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Yes indeed, even on an "informal" basis I've learned at lot from him - if and when I ever get some time I'm hoping to set up a formal training session in his shop. I've gotten the basics down and can safely assemble ammunition, however getting into load development and optimization for specific firearms and purposes (target shooting/hunting/etc..) to really maximize the return for the time spent seems like it would be a logical next step.
yuppiejr

Return to Reviews