Gander Mtn No customer service. Eden prairie

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Postby Chuckytt on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 am

Went into gander mountain (eden prairie location) last night to buy a safe I have had my eye on, that was a special in one of their current ads. Went into the store with money in hand, had to wait 30 minutes just to have my number called. I didn't know they treated customers as just a number, and now I do. I asked if they could open the safe. The employee tried for about 30 seconds and could not get in. He said "this one has been giving us some trouble". I'm not buying a safe that gives you trouble to get into! Didnt try to call anyone to help either or ever get it open.
I asked if we could do a special order. He said yes but I wouldn't get the special. It was for I stock items only. If ordered online though says its 6-8 weeks out anyways but I get the deal? Sounds like a special order...
I can order the safe online, pay 400 for shipping and tax on top. I don't need it shipped to my house, I am capable of moving it. Might as well save 400 in shipping charges
I asked to talk to a manager and he said that he was. What manager is behind a counter calling numbers. In my experience they are roaming the floor... I found the manager on the way out but was to heated to try to hold a conversation without getting enraged.
The guy that "helped me" was very short and not willing to give 5 minutes to sell $1000+.
So their thinking is you can get the special, on the one safe they have, but it's broken... What kind of special is that? Horrible way of doing business and doing nothing but loosing customers with the way their employees conduct themselves to customers.
Sorry for the rant but it really ticked me off!

Went 5 minutes away to another new gun store, and was delighted with the service and the small business feel. Their prices were right on with online as well!
“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me”
Psalm 23:4
Chuckytt

Re: Gander Mtn No customer service. Eden prairie

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 am

Sounds about right for gander. It's best to take your $$ to a store that cares. Welcome to the forrum too!
Sigfan220

Postby JeffA on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 am

I dont have first hand experience with this store, but had another tell me its a good place. They are in Rogers

http://www.safeandknifemn.com/index.shtm
JeffA

Postby Irish.40 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:09 pm

I have had good experiences with the guys at Gander in EP. My guess is that they are all getting fairly burnt out with the panic buying that has been going on. The number system just started in the last week or two. Obviously to help organize the chaos. Don't write off the employees. Write off their astronomical prices.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby justinvan on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:37 pm

It may be a bit of a drive for you.... but check Little Crow Shooting Sports in Hutchinson. I found I could drive there and BUY a trailer to haul the safe home on with the money I saved on my safe compared to the other dealers I found. They were about $900 less than I could find anywhere for the model I bought. Since I already had a trailer to haul it on I just bought another gun. :D
justinvan

Postby justinvan on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Irish.40 wrote:I have had good experiences with the guys at Gander in EP. My guess is that they are all getting fairly burnt out with the panic buying that has been going on. The number system just started in the last week or two. Obviously to help organize the chaos. Don't write off the employees. Write off their astronomical prices.

Its unfortunate but I have had the same experiance as Chuckytt a few times. So I am sorry but I have had to right off most of there employees as well. It is few and far between that I go in there and walk out with satisfactory customer service. If you have had better luck, good for you, maybe I am the odd one that gets the poor service and knowledge whenever I am in there.
justinvan

Postby M4A1 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Irish.40 wrote:I have had good experiences with the guys at Gander in EP. My guess is that they are all getting fairly burnt out with the panic buying that has been going on. The number system just started in the last week or two. Obviously to help organize the chaos. Don't write off the employees. Write off their astronomical prices.

Sounds like any other place that is under staffed. I always had good experience with the EP GM. My only complaint is their pricing on certain items.
M4A1

Postby Chuckytt on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
I have been snooping around the forum here and there, but never had an urge to post something. Till this... Thanks for letting me rant. I am getting a safe from Arnzen Arms, which is 5 minutes from gander. Great people and customer support there from what I saw and experienced. coming from a company that is all about making the customers life easier, it's hard to deal with that kind of service gander offered.
“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me”
Psalm 23:4
Chuckytt

Postby brewerbob on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Chuckytt wrote:Thanks for the welcome!
I have been snooping around the forum here and there, but never had an urge to post something. Till this... Thanks for letting me rant. I am getting a safe from Arnzen Arms, which is 5 minutes from gander. Great people and customer support there from what I saw and experienced. coming from a company that is all about making the customers life easier, it's hard to deal with that kind of service gander offered.

Agreed! Arnzen is a great place with good people.
brewerbob

Postby TH3180 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 pm

"Burnt out with the panic buying that has been going on." Doesn't fly with me. When I'm working 16-18 hour days outside in the middle of Augest fixing people's A/C. Yeah I get burnt out but if I don't have great customer service, I will be finding a new job. They signed up for the job they should do it , with great customer service. If they can't maybe they should work somewhere else.
Then again I won't go to the EP GM after I had two guys behind the counter tell me that a G22 isn't 40S&W.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby curly2k3 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm

I personally liked the guy behind the counter at EP GM telling a guy that buying and selling firearms to and from friends is the best way to lose the paper trail so the government can't take them away or take them from your kids when you die. I also appreciated him telling a customer that once the government renews the ban list that the government will be stealing our firearms, so we should be hiding them.
I build fun guns
curly2k3

Postby TH3180 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 pm

curly2k3 wrote:I personally liked the guy behind the counter at EP GM telling a guy that buying and selling firearms to and from friends is the best way to lose the paper trail so the government can't take them away or take them from your kids when you die. I also appreciated him telling a customer that once the government renews the ban list that the government will be stealing our firearms, so we should be hiding them.

That's all true, they wil.......................
Oh never-mind. 8-)
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 pm

My gun safe is empty, and I've been having trouble getting into it too. Besides I lost all my guns in an icehouse that sank. 8-)
FJ540

Postby LumberZach on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm

I was at Gander in E.P. last weekend. I wanted to check out the savage 110 in .338, it had a pistol grip and the stock was adjustable. Apparently the guy behind the counter thought I needed a permit to purchase to see it or something like that. If I buy guns, it is not from them. They have decent prices on ammo sometimes though...
LumberZach

Postby cmak413 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 am

I've always found it hit or miss. One time you'll get a guy that would probably let you shoot every gun there if they had a range, and other times you might as well not even try to get service. It's a big-box retailer, not everyone is fired up to work there. Go to a specialty store and 99% of the employees are passionate about what they are doing.
cmak413

Return to Reviews