Foaming Bore Cleaning

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Foaming Bore Cleaning

Postby LePetomane on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Does anyone use the foaming type of bore cleaner (GunSlick, Wipe Out<etc.)? I tried this stuff last night on my Kimber. Too good to be true. Clean and doesn't stink up the house. I'm sold on it.

WJLP
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Re: Foaming Bore Cleaning

Postby JJ on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:03 pm

I use the Gunslick stuff. It's good enough for range cleaning, an field cleaning when I go dogging.

That said, it does not get my barrels as clean as a treatment of hoppes and sweets 7.62.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Scratch on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I use the stuff in the blue can... I think it's called just "foaming bore cleaner", cant remember the maker though. I like it alot, but it says it might be bad for certain finishes so I'm careful to only get it in the barrel.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby t140 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 pm

I use to use Hoppe's Elite Foaming Bore Cleaner.

Nowadays, I just run a bore snake through once with a little Frog Lube on the brushes after a range trip.
t140

Postby Hmac on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:25 am

I have some of that stuff around and use it occasionally on rifles. I usually load up the bore and chamber and let it sit while I clean the lower. Otherwise, for handguns when I do terminal cleaning (as opposed to my usual routine of bore snake), it's Hoppe's 9 with a bronze brush, then patches til clean, then lube on patches. Just like I've been doing it since I was 12. Only difference now is that I use Mobil 1 for lube instead of Rem Oil.

I have seen innumerable silly cleaning and lubrication fads for firearms. It's as ridiculous as the aftermarket fuel and oil additive hucksterism for automobiles.

I will say that, for me, Hoppes #9 is the perfume of my youth, but some wives are a little put off by the smell. Fortunately, my workshop is in an outbuilding so SWMBO doesn't care what it smells like.
Hmac

Postby WolfTrack on Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 pm

I've used WipeOut. It works better with their accelerator.
I brought a .270 back to life. At about 800 rounds, its groups started to open more and more. I just started to work for a gunsmith and he told me to try it.
I was amazed by the amount of copper flakes that came out on those patches.
I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps, so I cleaning my rifles is religious. I thought it was clean until I looked down the bore with a good bore scope, then using WipeOout.
I wouldn't use it on any with DuraCoat or other such coatings; it'll get under it and lift it off.
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.”
WolfTrack

Postby photogpat on Thu May 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Gunslick or CLP foaming bore cleaner....foam it in, wait 15 minutes, patch it out....clean bore. Best stuff ever made.

Just don't use it on gas semi-autos though....sucks to get it into the gas system!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby dubya on Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am

t140 wrote:I use to use Hoppe's Elite Foaming Bore Cleaner.

Nowadays, I just run a bore snake through once with a little Frog Lube on the brushes after a range trip.

Likewise, the Boresnake is a great little tool to keep in your kit. I have two AR's, a home built 6.8 SPC for deer hunting and a Colt 6920 and I love the little storage areas in the grips and stocks. I just roll the bore snake up tight and stick it in the stock or grip and I always have a "cleaning kit" with me. I usually spray a little Hoppes Elite before the brush to loosen things up a bit, yank it through three times, wipe the inside of the receiver with patches and generously lube everything with Shooters Choice oil.
dubya

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:05 pm

photogpat wrote:Gunslick or CLP foaming bore cleaner....foam it in, wait 15 minutes, patch it out....clean bore. Best stuff ever made.

Just don't use it on gas semi-autos though....sucks to get it into the gas system!

Compressed air fixes that. Love the CLP.
FJ540

Return to Reviews