A cheap carry knife

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: A cheap carry knife

Postby RealDeal on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 am

Thunder71 wrote:I shared this on the MN Carry Facebook page recently regarding that:
http://www.loveinfographics.com/categor ... nfographic

Nice graphics, but I already read MN Statutes 609.02, and 609.66, and did not see anything about a 3" length limit on concealed carry of a knife. Anyone care to post the correct law, or statute, regarding this length limit for MN on the FB graphic? All I know is several suburbs of the twin cities, and the city of Mpls. have knife ordinances on the books regarding blade length. The only thing I read from MN 609.66 about knives, is the legality of auto knives.
RealDeal

Postby bensdad on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Wow. according to that, it's illegal to carry a folder over 3" in MN. How is it even possible that that's the law?

ETA: New guy is faster on the internetz than me.

ETA: Another vote for Kershaw, but with the "Made in America" caveat. Pretty sure I'm WAY off in the tail of the knife-use bell curve. There's a China Kershaw in the toolbox on my tractor that basically fell apart. It has a little piece of fencing wire where a screw should be. I'll throw it away next time it ticks me off. There's another China Kershaw in a landfill somewhere because the liner smoothed out (or whatever) and failed to hold open firm. My USA Kershaw's, otoh, seem to be magically bullet-proof. I think the one I'm carrying now is made of uru and adamantium. It's this guy: http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/kni ... -whirlwind
Last edited by bensdad on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09 pm

If it's not illegal, it's legal... they don't have to specify what is legal, therefore there is no designation other than automatic knives.

bensdad wrote:Wow. according to that, it's illegal to carry a folder over 3" in MN. How is it even possible that that's the law?

No, it says it's illegal to carry a concealed folding knife with a blade length over 3".

I haven't found a reference to that yet myself.

This is a good read as well:
http://www.knifeup.com/minnesota-knife-laws/

What is Legal to Own

Balisong knives are legal to own.
Dirks, stilettos, daggers, and other stabbing knives are legal to own.
Disguised knives like lipstick knives are legal to own.
Bowie knives are legal to own.
Throwing stars and throwing knives are legal to own.
All other knives are legal to own.
Only switchblades are illegal.
What is Legal to Carry

Knives with utility purposes are legal to carry.
Knives that can be used as weapons are legal to carry as long as you do not have intent to harm others.
It is illegal to recklessly use a knife that was designed to be a weapon.
It is illegal to carry a knife that was designed to be a weapon (and not a tool) with the intent to harm others.
Thunder71

Postby RealDeal on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:16 pm

OK, I'll take for face value what the statutes say vs. a graphic on a facebook page. Bottom line is is if you intend on carrying your katana concealed somewhere, you might want to check the local ordinances first before you do so.
RealDeal

Postby bensdad on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:19 pm

You wrote:
No, it says it's illegal to carry a concealed folding knife with a blade length over 3".

Cuz I wrote:
Wow. according to that, it's illegal to carry a folder over 3" in MN.

Are you saying that a folder isn't, by its very nature, "concealed"? It "folds" so it can go in a pocket for crap-sake. Once it's in a pocket, it's CONCEALED.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Are you saying you can't carry a folder on your belt or other visible location, making it NOT CONCEALED? Many folding knives have pocket/belt clips.
Another purpose for it to fold is so you don't need a sheath, sometimes you have to think outside your own little world.

Back on topic:
My personal favorite is the Kershaw Oso Sweet... very durable, speedsafe, solid knife.
Thunder71

Postby bensdad on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

My personal favorite is the Kershaw Oso Sweet... very durable, speedsafe, solid knife.

IMHO Cheap. China. Garbage. If you'd like a spare, you can have the one in my toolbox. I guess the blade still cuts. Prolly fine for opening mail and breaking down boxes.

This is my second favorite, but it's got less handle than the one I linked above: http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/serrated-leek
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby 2in2out on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 pm

My favorite carry knife is a SpyderCo. It's not cheap, but it's good.

I have a Benchmade 530, but that's even more money and is harder for a simpleton like me to sharpen.

The Made in China stuff is all disposable, IMHO, and that's how I treat them.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

A cheap carry knife

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm

bensdad wrote:

IMHO Cheap. China. Garbage. If you'd like a spare, you can have the one in my toolbox. I guess the blade still cuts. Prolly fine for opening mail and breaking down boxes.

This is my second favorite, but it's got less handle than the one I linked above: http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/serrated-leek

I have that serrated leek. My only beef is that you can't pry with the tip. Otherwise I love that knife!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Burgundy

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 am

Just got my first Spyderco from thunderoussilence and I love it.

Thank you Declan, you are truly a good friend and Brother in Arms!
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby bensdad on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 am

My only beef is that you can't pry with the tip.

Sure you can... once :lol:
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby ninjedi on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:01 pm

I carried a Ka-Bar Dozier for about a year. Love my other Ka-Bar knives, but the Dozier was just too tight and I didn't like the way it opened, no matter how many times I tried to adjust it. Got rid of it and bought a Cold Steel Voyager Medium Tanto and I must say it's the best pocket knife I've ever encountered int he sub-$40 range. It's perfect.
ninjedi

Previous

Return to Reviews