S&W 642

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

S&W 642

Postby Lewy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 am

The Smith & Wesson 642 is another nice option for a reliable, easy to conceal self defense carry weapon. Capacity is 5 rounds of .38 Special. I generally find that the 135gr .38 is the bare minimum I want to carry for self defense based upon my "scientific testing", which includes shooting through old car doors at pumpkins and measured flight time of a two liter bottle after impact. :D

Appearance and Feel
There's just something nice about the look and feel of a Smith & Wesson revolver. The 642's small, lightweight J-frame feels really good in the hand and allows the gun to be "pointed" at the target with ease, making this an ideal weapon for close proximity self defense applications. The black rubber grips are just soft enough to cushion some recoil and do not show much wear after long term use. As with any double action revolver, learning the trigger break can take some practice and it is easy for new shooters to become frustrated. Sights are fixed and not adjustable.

Functionality
This is about as simple as a gun gets and why it is the most reliable choice for self defense carry. Load, point, pull the trigger, bang. Revolvers remove doubt in the users mind about failure to feed, failure to eject, and manual safeties. I can honestly say I have never had a stovepipe in my 642.

Reliability/Operation
Reliability on my 642 has been 100% all of the time. What else would you expect? Shooting a 1 7/8" barrel at distances greater than 15 feet can take some time and practice. This little gun can be quite accurate out to 25 yards with sufficient trigger time, it's all about learning the trigger break. Recoil is quite substantial given the size and weight of the gun. At 15oz, there isn't much there to absorb the recoil, and long range sessions can become bothersome, especially with 135gr Gold Dot +P short barrel, my recommended load.

Conclusion
Ease of use along with perfect reliability make the 642 a great gun to own no matter what the situation. The small size allows great concealability, making it a great option to stuff in the pocket on your way to the gas station or grocery store. Even though I only carry this piece occasionally, I will always keep it as a part of a well-rounded collection.

642.jpg
Lewy

S&W 642

Postby RJWesleyIII on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 pm

I have one and liked it. Only bad thing is after 20 rnds wwb, the frame cracked and had to send it to s&w. still waiting on getting it back. Hopefully it's a little stronger this time. I carry my g26 or g39 99.9% of the time.
RJWesleyIII

Re: S&W 642

Postby msnden on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

I tend t agree, when I carry it is a S&W 442, just pop it in your pocket, forget it, There may be better, but it works for me, msn
A good read, http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=68

Image Image
msnden

Return to Reviews