XDs and Saturday @ BPR

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

XDs and Saturday @ BPR

Postby XDM45 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am

Today I fired my XDs for the first time, along with about 10 other guns provided by a non-member of this forum, my friend of many years, Tony, and two forum members, Evad and darkwolf45.

Evad brought along a Sig Mosquito .22LR, his 9mm Glock and his new .45, of which I forget the maker; while darkwolf45 brought along a very nice 1911, in fact the best one I ever shot (darkwolf45, please fill me the info about your guns here, as you know them better than I do), along with a very nice .38 revolver which needed some cosmetic work ,but like his 1911, fired like a dream. Tony brought his Ruger Mark III 2245 and his brand new Glock 40 caliber. There was a gentleman in the next stall over with some sort of pistol which shot a 410 round, and that was fun as well. All in all, we had a plethora of firearms in difference calibers, some in the same caliber, and we all sent a lot of lead downrange.

I fired both Glocks, the 9mm and the 40, and I like the lightness of them in one regard, no so in another. I like a bit of heft and the Glocks lack that. I also don't care for the lever to drop the magazine or the overall feel of them. Of the two Glocks, I liked the 40 over the 9mm, but that's mainly because of the one thing I liked about that Glock, which was the recoil. It's very snappy. I still say that while Glocks are fine firearms, I'm not good for them and they aren't good for me. To each their own.

As for the XDs, I'm definately nowhere near ready to carry it because I'm not accurate with it at all. Of course I only put 100 rounds though it today, so that's to be expected. The sighting is different, the recoil is definitely a lot snappier than my XDm both before and after my recoil rod upgrade to the XDm; but I expected in would be that way because of the shorter bar ell of the XDs. I also like the 7-round magazine over the 5-round ones, simply for the fact that the 7-round magazine let's me do 7+1 and more importantly, it allows me to not only have a bigger, yet still very concealable gun with an almost full sized grip. I'm not used to the trigger of the XDs, but I can overcome that in time. I think it's a great little gun and I'm very pleased with the purchase from jimbob85 on here. darkwolf85 liked my XDm a lot more than the XDs, and that's ok by me, because quite frankly, I do too.

One of my complaints about the XDs is the fiber optic sight. I could see where that could come loose, fall out, etc, and then you have a real problem. I'd like to replace that with a traditional solid front sigh vs what's there now. I think it's fine if this was a competition gun, but it's not. It's a backup CC for me / spare .45ACP firearm. The other gripe I have is that the 7-round magazine doesn't quite seat right. It's not 100% flush like the 5-round version is, and perhaps that's because of the extender sleeve for the 7-round magazine. Of course the XDs feels similar to my XDm, but it's not the same, nore would I expect it to be. I can tell that it's a Springfield XD Series pistol by the feel of it, but the XD and XDm are much closer, but then both are full-sized guns usually. Perhaps I need to compare the XDm Compact to the XDs for a much more fair comparison for feel and grip.

As I stated, I'm glad I purchased the XDs, because it's probably the best carry pistol you can have for the size in .45ACP, and if I can change out the sights and fix that gap in the 7-round magazine, it'd perfect. I wish the trigger was more like the XDm, but I'm leery about changing out trigger systems on carry pistols simply for the sake of should any legal issues arise, I try and keep my carry pistols as close to OEM as possible. The only modification my XDm will ever has is the recoil rod from brass stacker.

I did look at both the XDm Compact and the M&P Shield for CC, and I decided omn the XDs. I don't think that it's the best gun for everyone, and I think you should give it a run on the range before you buy it. I was ok with not doing that because I committed to it before I even fired it. In fact, I've done that with every gun I've purchased thus far, and while it's not the best practice, I've yet to be disappointed. Of course I don't recommend that for everyone, I believe that you should try before you buy and I'm going to do that myself down the road when looking for a revolver and rifles. I don't think I need to do that for my next goal of purchasing a Ruger 10/22, but for an AR-15 or a .357, yes, I will. I tend to be very through in my research, which is why I have been so fortunate thus far. I[m open to any suggestions on the Ruger 10/22, because I know there's a ton of options, different stocks, configurations, etc, all I've considered thus far on it is getting some BX-25 magazines for it. I'm also open to AR-15 and .357 suggestions as well, but both of those purchases are more down the road. When it comes to a shotgun, Benali M4, but that's even further down the road.

So back on topic, there's my review of the XDs and a fun day at the range with some friends new and old.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Re: XDs and Saturday @ BPR

Postby grousemaster on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I grabbed an XDs today, compared side by side with G36 and a Gen 4 G26 and decided to buy the XDs....

Any malfunctions with yours? I haven't shot mine yet. The Xds was $50 cheaper than the Glock 36 and has better sights IMO and is smaller (not my much).

I knew I'd be a better shooter with a G36 out of the gate, but I like a challenge....I imagine this XDs isn't going to be easy to shoot accurately at first. I sucked with my LCP when I got it, 1000 rounds later I can ding head shots rapid fire one after another at 30 feet on a silhouette. Stick with the XDs, it will be a shooter if you do your part. (watch Hickok45's video with the XDs)
Last edited by grousemaster on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

grousemaster wrote:I grabbed an XDs today, compared side by side with G36 and a Gen 4 G26 and decided to buy the XDs....

Any malfunctions with yours? I haven't shot mine yet. The Xds was $50 cheaper than the Glock 36 and has better sights IMO and is smaller (not my much).

Nope. No malfunction, no marring of the ejector port as some have claimed. Solid gun, but I need to get better at working with it. I prefer the 7 over the 5-round magazine for sure. Foxxholsters makes a nice IWB for it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:I grabbed an XDs today, compared side by side with G36 and a Gen 4 G26 and decided to buy the XDs....

Nope. No malfunction, no marring of the ejector port as some have claimed. Solid gun, but I need to get better at working with it. I prefer the 7 over the 5-round magazine for sure. Foxxholsters makes a nice IWB for it.

Biggest gripe I have after inspection is lack of ability to detail strip and clean without pounding out roll pins....bummer. I do really like the pistol. This is the ONLY department that XD has topped Glock IMO. This one is slimmer and more badass looking than the G36. The G36 came out like 15 years ago though, so it's about time someone bested the design. (not saying it is better, I haven't shot the XDs yet).

The way I figure, buying an XDs without trying it wasn't much of a risk because I'll easily be able to recoup my funds if I hate it and want to sell. MY goal for the pistol was a light camping/BWCA gun that is element resistant and packs enough punch to deter mid sized predators (wolves, black bears, Bubba, etc). Not near the killing power of my .357 but a lot handier and smaller.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby jimbob85 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey there, glad you're liking it.
Yeah, it's definitely a gun to get used to. I made a pretty big improvement in the short time I had it, I couldn't group with it very well, but it was still good enough to ruin somebody's day :gun:
My biggest tip is watch your grip, it's very unforgiving compared to a full size gun, I wasn't far off from a blister the first couple times I took it out because I would tend to not keep my thumb in the little indent on the side and that little self would dig in pretty good after 40 or 50 rounds.
jimbob85

Postby SharpRule on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:14 pm

I might have to go meet you at BPR and take a look at that baby in action. I'm interested in looking into the 9 mm xds one of these days. On a side note, do you think replacing the guide rod in your xdm was worth the money? I was thinking about swapping mine also and order the stainless steel rod for the 3.8. Did you stick with the OEM spring? Don't mean to hijack your thread, pm me if needed.
XDm .45
XDm 3.8 9mm
SharpRule

Postby darkwolf45 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:46 am

Re: the .45 that XDM45 is talking about, There are guns you buy for convenience to carry, guns you buy to scare the daylights out of someone, guns you buy simply to piss off stuck up elitist politicians. Then there are guns that are built for one thing and one thing only- to put a round exactly where you want it. Every. Single. Time. That is what the Caspian is. It was made completely with custom made parts from Caspian Arms Ltd, assembled by my father, and then further customized by a well-known gun smith, Larry Luteneger. It is a 1911 style pistol, with a red dot scope mounted to the slide.
The only issue I have encountered so far with it were a couple of occasions where a spent case failed to eject after firing. In each of these cases the rounds used were pony express bullets (138 grain) that had been stored in an unheated, un-air conditioned environment for over 10 years, and let it be known that these rounds caused the same issues in 3 other 1911’s as well.
The .38 is an older pistol. Older than I am, I believe. It is a single action revolver. This was another of my dad’s guns which has been around as long as I can remember. Not a lot done to this guy, other than a custom trigger, which, IMHO, moves like melted butter and another red dot scope mounted to it. Once again, this gun is for one purpose only- putting that round precisely where you want it to hit. It’s very well balanced, and the weight leaves almost no kick when you decide to squeeze the trigger. As XDM45 alluded, the age of this pistol is showing. I have been working on the surface rust that has accumulated on it over the years and trying to scrub it back to prime condition. I have it back to a shine at least, but there is more work to be done.
As for the XDs, I can honestly say that I am not a fan. There is much to be said that is positive about this gun, as XDM45 correctly points out. However, I was lost on three aspects. First was the grip. Perhaps I am spoiled by 1911’s where I can put on a wide variety of grips to suit my tastes, but when I first grabbed the grip of the XDs I immediately got a bad impression. Second, was the extended magazine. I got to try it with a 7 round extended magazine, and I could literally feel it shifting around in my hands as I lined up the sights. If I am being anal about this, than so be it, but I believe that each part of the gun should fit in as well as possible, and if it doesn’t well then you have a choice. You can start work on customizing it so that things do fit into place properly, or you can decide to move on.
These two are mostly preference, and I will admit I was largely on the fence up to this point, but then came my final gripe. Each and every time I squeezed the trigger my finger was pinched as the pistol jumped. Rounds were overall consistently placed, and I know with a bit of practice I could become proficient with and XDs, but sadly, I don’t want to.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 am

Try changing the back strap and see if that helps accuracy, made a huge difference for me (larger one works best for my hands).
Thunder71

Postby Evad on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:36 am

XDM45 wrote:Nope. No malfunction,

There was one malfunction, even if I did have to force it. I barely held it to get a REALLY limp wrist effect and I did get one jam. Nice gun, but not for me. The grip didn't feel right to me, but it was nice and slim, I liked that. It just didn't fit my hand how I wanted. That, and I don't do well with the sight picture. When I have some ammo to feed it I will probably ask for run a mag or two more (the non extended is what I want to try). Nice gun, just not for me on initial impression. I guess I am spoiled by my Glocks :lol:

You also forgot to mention the LCP ;) And that my 1911 got a case that didn't eject properly...but thankfully it wasn't much of an issue.

darkwolf45 wrote:Re: the .45 that XDM45 is talking about, There are guns you buy for convenience to carry, guns you buy to scare the daylights out of someone, guns you buy simply to piss off stuck up elitist politicians. Then there are guns that are built for one thing and one thing only- to put a round exactly where you want it. Every. Single. Time. That is what the Caspian is. It was made completely with custom made parts from Caspian Arms Ltd, assembled by my father, and then further customized by a well-known gun smith, Larry Luteneger. It is a 1911 style pistol, with a red dot scope mounted to the slide.

Both you, and XDM45 have failed to mention that Caspian is magical. You touched on it, but weren't clear enough. First trigger pull, off hand and there was a hole in the paper exactly where I intended it. That thing is a joy to shoot. The wheelie is also, and it's REALLY good that is SA only with how easy that trigger is. Another magical gun that placed holes where I wanted them immediately.
Evad

Postby grousemaster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:42 am

I shot the XDs again last night and can't believe how easy it is to shoot and how accurate it is. I have no problem keeping all my shots in 4-5" group around the bullseye at 25'

Blows me away at how easy this thing is to shoot. Beats the baby Glocks even for me. Yea, it's got recoil, but a little focus and it's a breeze, like an LCP....

Can't say I've ever been so impressed by a pistol so quickly. As a bonafied Glock fanboy this is very difficult for me to admit.

BTW, these pocket guns never "fit" the hand well. They're pocket guns. Still VERY possible to be good with them.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am

Evad,
If you haven't handled it without the extension you have to try it... I don't care for the grip with the extension either, but really like it without.

Good to hear it's working out well for you grousemaster!
Thunder71

Postby Evad on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Evad,
If you haven't handled it without the extension you have to try it... I don't care for the grip with the extension either, but really like it without.

I was thinking that. I didn't like the feel of the extension itself. Without it will feel completely different I am sure.
Evad

Postby grousemaster on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Evad,

Good to hear it's working out well for you grousemaster!

Yea, I absolutely love it. It's the first Springfield pistol I've ever shot I can say that about. My buddy couldn't shoot it worth a crap though, he was even off the paper all together on a couple of fliers. If you can control you're flinching, it's a very capable pistol. I've never felt the need for an extension (plus, I can't find a 7 round mag anywhere) as the pinky doesn't play much roll in shooting a pistol like this anyway.

When I say "easy to shoot", of course, I mean "easy, for a pocket ,45" :D

......it does take a bit of getting used to, but only 2-3 mags before I got a feel for it,
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah, I'm amazed every time I shoot mine. I was at a friend's house a couple weeks ago shooting various guns and decided to shoot my XD-S at a pop can everyone was missing or just putting holes through. I started making it dance pretty good... I figure if I can consistently hit a can at 20 yards I should be good at center of mass in defensive ranges, without stress and something shooting back at me. :?

That said, for anyone who doesn't shoot the XD-S well, definitely try the other grip piece it comes with - makes a world of difference.
Thunder71

Postby XDM45 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Yeah, I'm amazed every time I shoot mine. I was at a friend's house a couple weeks ago shooting various guns and decided to shoot my XD-S at a pop can everyone was missing or just putting holes through. I started making it dance pretty good... I figure if I can consistently hit a can at 20 yards I should be good at center of mass in defensive ranges, without stress and something shooting back at me. :?

That said, for anyone who doesn't shoot the XD-S well, definitely try the other grip piece it comes with - makes a world of difference.

Overall, it's a decent gun, one I need more practice with, but I don't see it as a regular range gun, just one to get proficient with for self-defense. It's comfortable to shoot, but not as much as my XDm is. I'm glad I bought it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for my only gun.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Next

Return to Reviews